Synth Control - Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tb303live

Synth Control - Question

Post by tb303live » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Sorry if this is a re-post, somewhat of a specific question.

Is there any way to nest audio effect racks or something similar to allow you to control which soft synth is playing on that channel? In essence, you have a macro knob which would control several different instances of either the same synth or different synths. Depending on where the knob value was a different synth might play, similar to using an audio effect unit to control dry/wet effect.

Can this be done? FYI, I have Live 7. TIA.

mikemc

Re: Synth Control - Question

Post by mikemc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 pm

what do you mean by channel, audio channel or midi channel?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

tb303live

Post by tb303live » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

sorry.

i mean on any single vertical channel on the session view. i guess it would have to be a midi channel since i am looking to control multiple instances of a soft synth plug-in on that same channel.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:05 pm

tb303live wrote:Sorry if this is a re-post, somewhat of a specific question.

Is there any way to nest audio effect racks or something similar to allow you to control which soft synth is playing on that channel? In essence, you have a macro knob which would control several different instances of either the same synth or different synths. Depending on where the knob value was a different synth might play, similar to using an audio effect unit to control dry/wet effect.

Yes, it's straight-forward. Drop a synth on that midi track, right-click to group it. That creates a rack. Now drop the other synths you want into the chain list area in the rack, i.e. a new chain per synth. Use the chain zones to define which synths are played with which chain selector position. You can make them hard switches from one synth to the other, or gradual fades. Map one of the macro knobs to the chain selector.

tb303live

Post by tb303live » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:08 pm

8O wrote:
tb303live wrote:Sorry if this is a re-post, somewhat of a specific question.

Yes, it's straight-forward. Drop a synth on that midi track, right-click to group it. That creates a rack. Now drop the other synths you want into the chain list area in the rack, i.e. a new chain per synth. Use the chain zones to define which synths are played with which chain selector position. You can make them hard switches from one synth to the other, or gradual fades. Map one of the macro knobs to the chain selector.
Thanks for the tip. I figured there was a way to do it with grouping, but hadn't quite mapped it out logistically.