How often is Live 8 crashing on os x on your setups?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
synnack

Re: How often is Live 8 crashing on os x on your setups?

Post by synnack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 am

Not a single crash for me on a MBP 10.4.x since 8.0.1 (since the beta really)

Granted, I don't use many 3rd party plugins.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

slirak

Post by slirak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:23 pm

tempus3r wrote:Not a single crash for me on a MBP 10.4.x since 8.0.1 (since the beta really)

Hm and you don't use 10.5.7 either.... I noticed that everyone in this thread who experienced crashes and specified their OS X version had 10.5.7. Makes me wonder. Anyone experiencing crashes with plug-ins who does not use 10.5.7?
L8.1.4 Suite, MBP Unibody 2.4 GHZ 4GB OS X 10.6.4, Apogee One, Akai LPK25, Novation Nocturn, Korg Legacy w/MS20i controller, ComboSister, Moog Modular V, Oddity, Amplitube, T-Racks, CSR, Roland TD-12, guitars and basses and whatever...

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:26 pm

after upgrading to 8.0.4 it has been stable for me
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:35 pm

slirak wrote:
tempus3r wrote:Not a single crash for me on a MBP 10.4.x since 8.0.1 (since the beta really)

Hm and you don't use 10.5.7 either.... I noticed that everyone in this thread who experienced crashes and specified their OS X version had 10.5.7. Makes me wonder. Anyone experiencing crashes with plug-ins who does not use 10.5.7?
I've wondered that too. I have a friend with the exact same MBP and she does a lot of CPU intense video work. She gets crashes all the time with 10.5.x and my 10.4.x hums along.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:46 pm

i moved back to Live 7 and had no crashes within the last 24 hours..

seems to be live 8 related after all...

the clock sounds more stable aswell... but i will measure that next week... no time now

just a lot of work to do my liveset again in 7 now...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dom

Post by dom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 am

3phase wrote:i moved back to Live 7 and had no crashes within the last 24 hours..

seems to be live 8 related after all...
Still no bug report :-(
So you are planning to stay on 7?

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dru

Post by dru » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 am

I had live crash on my around four times over the weekend when working on a new project. I've used multiple plugs in the project but haven't submitted anything yet but will do the next time it happens (frustration got the better of me so I bailed on it for a while).

BTW, when recovering a project I've noticed it doesn't recover the settings in external plugs. Anyone else get this? I was getting this with 7 too. If i haven't saved a patch in a plugin and it crashes, when recovering the project the plugged tracks default to init. Weird..

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:22 pm

tempus3r wrote:
slirak wrote:

I've wondered that too. I have a friend with the exact same MBP and she does a lot of CPU intense video work. She gets crashes all the time with 10.5.x and my 10.4.x hums along.
I'm on 10.5.6 and I think I've only ever experienced Live crashing once using 8.0.1 and been using Live 8 pretty much daily since it came out.

Again, I don't really use any 3rd party plugins, just a handful of free AUs.

Human Koala

Post by Human Koala » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:07 pm

10.4 here a lot of plugs , tested in live last week end, no crash
i experienced crashes during drag&drop of plugs or sample while playing sometimes

HK

arafel

Post by arafel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:27 pm

10.4.11 , G5 dual 2ghz - Live Suite 8 (latest update.. 8.04?)

Crash.. once every week.
A full restart... fixes everything.
Never noticed a pattern (I'll pay more attention)

This system runs 24/7 - with at least 6 or more apps (mail, graphics, editors, etc) open all the time.

As stable as Logic 8 on this system.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:49 pm

just got a reply from dom, after reporting problems, answer:

apparently it's related to 10.4.x and i / we should go to 10.5.7 !!! (not ANYTHING under 10.5.7!)
*** Image GAFM ***

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 am

dom wrote:P.S.:

Also not a single bug report from 3phase (OP) or glitchrock-buddha this year.
I'm afraid your problems will not disappear magically on their own if you don't report them at all but only criticize software stability in the forum.

If you personally experience a problem with Live, first do a proper report and then feel free to rant if you don't receive a solution from the support team - until the issue is fixed...

Best,
Dom
what support team? i have sended in crash reports to beta@ab..with the kind question to get a hint if its an abletom problem or can be fixed otherwise and dont got an answer.. i did it again..and dont got an answer..and i will do it again... but its not really motivating...

i went back to live 7 to experiance that not possible to load clips rendered in live 8 straight back to live 7.. instead ignoring the transient infos and just use start mark loop status and tempo ...what would work perfectly for most renedered tracks when you work on a fixed tempo, you get a total mess..have to readjust every loop..

THAT REALLY SUCKS.. back in the 80´s we had a sample dump standard that was able to comunicate loops even between samplers from different manufactors..Ableton dont gets this done between the next version of live...

poor...

And the best thing... theese backimported loops cause monster loud noises when being started the first time..
THanks for killing the ears of my audience the last weekend..

So i have to go on stage now with a permanently crashing live 8 because it cant handle the midi streams?

A serious daw shouldnt be able to crash because of external midi shit... it just should ignore it..but than you would call the company probably ignoriton
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:31 am

On my mac os x, im running maschine 3rd party at all times and ive only crashed 3 times so far....other then that been working really well...
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

dom

Post by dom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 am

subfunk: no, please don't suggest things like that. you're referring to the solution to your problem (no crashes at all, but a slow system due to the graphics stuff) but this is not related to any crashes that others report and will most likely have another reason and solution.

3phase: no, beta@ableton.com is only for beta reports and you will most likely not get an answer every time as it is mainly intended for collecting bug reports for the development during beta phases.

For solving problems you experience with the normal release versions, please act according to this page: http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/co ... al_support

Regarding your files: As Live 7 does not know about the concept of transients at all, how should it offer forward compatibility for Live 8 files?
Or, keeping it with your sampler comparison: ever tried to load S1000 soundsets into a S900 back in the hardware days?

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:41 am

I sent an email 10 days ago to support regarding the undo 'issues' I'm having. Haven't heard anything back, but it makes me curious if anyone else is having these issues!

I'm on 10.5.7 with 8.04 and the latest beta as well on a macbook pro.

Example1
drop a Sonnox VST EQ onto a track:
turn the gain on the green one up all the way, then the red one, then the orange one. Now press cmd-z... the first one goes back to where it was, then the undo ceases to work.

Example 2
drop a Sonnox AU EQ onto a track
turn the gain of the blue knob up to full, pressing undo then turns the knob to -20db, not 0db where it should return to.

Example 3
drop a Fabfilter Twin AU onto a track, on my default patch the filter is at 68hz. Move the filter knob to any other position and then press undo and the filter will go to 15hz instead of back to 68hz.

Example 4
drop a Sylenth 1 AU onto a track, move any of the ADSR sliders to any position, as soon as you hit undo, they reset to 0 regardless of their initial position

This happens with a bunch of my other plugins as well, but I figure somebody has to have one of these!