How often is Live 8 crashing on os x on your setups?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

How often is Live 8 crashing on os x on your setups?

Post by 3phase » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Is it normal that you can expect a sudden crash every vew hours?

Do i have a problem with my computer or is Live 8 just to be used in the studio and not on stage?

Any opinions or experiances? I am on a 2,1 ghz mac book with os x 10.5.7
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

leisuremuffin

Re: How often is Live 8 crashing on os x on your setups?

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:33 pm

no problems here with a mbp 2.9ghz 4 gig mem running 10.5.7

any 3rd party plugs?

what are you doing when crashes?

obv you should send report to ableton support. crash every few hours is not ok or normal.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:40 pm

I probably get a crash every hour or more. I do use third party plugs but I often get crashes when I'm just using ableton instruments.
Professional Shark Jumper.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 pm

no crashes, but general problems of all sorts...

this afternoon i gave up at some point, the lock to surface not working, external midi instruments audible even no output channel is selected / setup...

the list is endless. it's all random and appears sometimes often, sometimes not at all... i am totally confused.

it took me having fun making music away.
*** Image GAFM ***

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Lots of crashes here, more than once an hour... Seems to be mostly related to 3rd party plug-ins here, but not only. I've reported it. Repeatedly... I'm sure the Abes will sort it out eventually, they usually do. But right now, L8 is a bit frustrating.
L8.1.4 Suite, MBP Unibody 2.4 GHZ 4GB OS X 10.6.4, Apogee One, Akai LPK25, Novation Nocturn, Korg Legacy w/MS20i controller, ComboSister, Moog Modular V, Oddity, Amplitube, T-Racks, CSR, Roland TD-12, guitars and basses and whatever...

dom

Post by dom » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:09 pm

SubFunk wrote:no crashes, but general problems of all sorts...
mails to support still = 0.

support request or it didn't happen

;-)

see you soon, whiskey galore!
dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dom

Post by dom » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:23 pm

slirak wrote:Lots of crashes here, more than once an hour... Seems to be mostly related to 3rd party plug-ins here, but not only. I've reported it. Repeatedly... I'm sure the Abes will sort it out eventually, they usually do. But right now, L8 is a bit frustrating.
Nope, in your case the crash seemed to originate from deep in the code of the automap-wrapped korg plugin - there's nothing at the moment we can sort out.
Did you contact Korg and Novation as we suggested two weeks ago?

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dom

Post by dom » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:33 pm

P.S.:

Also not a single bug report from 3phase (OP) or glitchrock-buddha this year.
I'm afraid your problems will not disappear magically on their own if you don't report them at all but only criticize software stability in the forum.

If you personally experience a problem with Live, first do a proper report and then feel free to rant if you don't receive a solution from the support team - until the issue is fixed...

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:28 pm

dom wrote:
slirak wrote:Lots of crashes here, more than once an hour... Seems to be mostly related to 3rd party plug-ins here, but not only. I've reported it. Repeatedly... I'm sure the Abes will sort it out eventually, they usually do. But right now, L8 is a bit frustrating.
Nope, in your case the crash seemed to originate from deep in the code of the automap-wrapped korg plugin - there's nothing at the moment we can sort out.
Did you contact Korg and Novation as we suggested two weeks ago?

Best,
Dom
No I didn't. I went on vacation to Berlin instead. Nice. :)
Got home a couple of days ago. Not so nice. But I have time to play with Live again, that's nice. When it doesn't crash... :P

Anyway, do you have any specific, technical reason (something in the stack traces perhaps) that suggests the problem is with the Korg Plug-ins or Automap rather than with Live? It would be very useful if I contact Korg and/or Novation. Any specific suspect? I think they'll probably just say "It's an Ableton issue" unless you can support your claim, or help me support it.

Also, just as I said in my original report, the problems occur not only with the Korg plug-ins and not only with automapped plug-ins. Also, I haven't been able to repeat the problems in Reaper (it handles Automap differently though). And I rarely had crashes like this in previous Live versions. (One exception: the issue with one specific automapped Korg VST plug, MDE-X freezing Live, not crashing it, that's repeatable in L7016 too. Not in Reaper though.)

You'll also find that I've mailed you several crash report Live sets the last couple of days, generated by the current beta. Not sure if there's any crash among those reports that isn't potentially Korg plug-in related (not all crashes relate to me messing with a plug-in, but I almost always have Korg plugs loaded), but certainly crashes with non-automapped plug-ins.

Maybe I'm experiencing more than one technical issue, with more than one application at fault. It does seem that the MDE-X issue may be a story of its own.

/Jonas

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 pm

dom wrote:P.S.:

Also not a single bug report from 3phase (OP) or glitchrock-buddha this year.
I'm afraid your problems will not disappear magically on their own if you don't report them at all but only criticize software stability in the forum.

If you personally experience a problem with Live, first do a proper report and then feel free to rant if you don't receive a solution from the support team - until the issue is fixed...

Best,
Dom
You're right, I haven't sent any crash reports since the official release. Actually the earlier releases seemed a little more stable for me, lately I've been having more crashes. But when they've happened I've always just moved on and continued assuming it won't happen again, but yeah I should start sending reports. They're just not always at a great time (like often when I'm rehearsing or collaborating and can't stop to do a crash report).

And I don't rant about Live's stability, I know you guys will get things quite stable and that's what I tell people on other forums like KVR. But if someone asks, I'll tell them what I'm experiencing. :wink:
Professional Shark Jumper.

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:39 pm

I'm crashing a lot on exit. There is about a 50% of crashing every time I close a project. Sometimes if I make a new project before closing ableton it will be fine. Reguardless of when I crash the problem is always a Kernel Memory Access Violation error on thread 0.

I'm kinda waiting for 8.0.5 because some of the updates look like things that could be causing me to crash. If 8.0.5 doesn't fix my problems, i'm going to start bugging the heck out of ableton.
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

do_om

Post by do_om » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:07 pm

A few times a day. Crashes, sometimes real loud pops & thuds that makes my ears
ring and my nerves twitch, since this will sooner or later kill mymonitors.
Audio also stops going to the master bus, even though all the faders are showing
sound, crash on exit, crash after undo record, etc, etc...

No time for betas, got masters to deliver, rather just deal with the headache.
The trainwreck of Live 8 is still a better option than PT or Logic.
I know they'll fix it, sooner or later.

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 pm

I did 6 one man band circus shows last weekend and 8.0.4 (OX 10.5.7) crashed twice on me. Both times without me touching it - just right in the middle of playing a scene - BAM!: desktop. The whole show ground to a halt. I have "on hold" music waiting on my iphone for when this happens. But it shouldn't happen.

It's one thing for live to crash when your pushing it while editing or making something.
Quite another when you're playing a set you've played many times and the software simply disappears for no reason at all.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 am

do_om wrote:I know they'll fix it, sooner or later.
not if you don't report it! that goes for all yalls.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:21 am

interpolate wrote:I'm crashing a lot on exit. There is about a 50% of crashing every time I close a project. Sometimes if I make a new project before closing ableton it will be fine. Reguardless of when I crash the problem is always a Kernel Memory Access Violation error on thread 0.

I'm kinda waiting for 8.0.5 because some of the updates look like things that could be causing me to crash. If 8.0.5 doesn't fix my problems, i'm going to start bugging the heck out of ableton.
I'm on the latest 8.05 beta and I get crashes on exit all the time, most of the time it says [unknown] in the error log so that's not going to be any use to the Abes.

Also, have a helluva time loading Live projects that use Pluggo (i.e. all my Tritone plugins). Can't submit a bug report as it's Pluggos fault.

Also, I can't use undo properly for 80% of my plugins so I have to be really sure I want to do what I want to do before I do it :) Yes, I have submitted bug reports for the undo issues.