[ot] Tour de France

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

Re: [ot] Tour de France

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:43 am

Did anyone see yesterday's stage? Two things stick in my mind:

Armstrong looking like he'd been dropped and that he'd lost his second place, followed rapidly by his incredible sprint up to bridge the gap and join the leaders again.

And secondly, Jens Voigt's horrific crash. The guy is one of the most respected and likeable riders in the Tour de France over the last few years - he works his heart out for his team. But that slow-motion footage of the crash did not look good for him at all. Read on Twitter that apparently he'll be ok... fingers crossed... (or thumbs pressed as they say in Germany).

And, on a related note, I'm slowly warming to the Schleck brothers, and Andy Schleck obvious concern for Jens at the end of the race put him up a few more notches in my book.

My new fantasy TdF final result: Wiggins first, Andy Schleck second, Armstrong third, Contador DQ'd due to inhumanly amazing climbing... :wink:

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:27 am

yep. jens crash looked really bad. he was out cold as soon as he hit the deck and just seemed to slide along on his face for quite a distance. he was probably doing about 90kph at the time.

armstrong was amazing again last night, it's great to have him back in the tour.

not too sure whats going on with cadell evans. he wasn't all that happy after yesterdays stage and made this comment.
"Physically, everything (is) fine. But for professional reasons I can't comment on the problems I've been having."

i love the tour but i cant wait till it's over so i can get some sleep. these late nights are killing me
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:30 am

Yeah, what's up with Evans? Right at the start of the tour everyone was rating him as the main contender, and now, in the final week, nada. Interesting quote there, maybe team-politics, but there's no one else really on his team to challenge for leadership... intriguing...

Another thought: odds on a Cavendish win in Paris?

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:32 am

gjm wrote:we are proud of Roulston. 3rd in a stage. Doing a good job for his team.
Yeah, I noticed that too - good going. Nice to see "NZL" in the results table! :)

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 am

lunabass wrote:yep. jens crash looked really bad. he was out cold as soon as he hit the deck and just seemed to slide along on his face for quite a distance. he was probably doing about 90kph at the time.
Found some more info in the German papers: 3-4 minutes unconscious after the crash, cheekbone fracture and concussion, I think. Was in intensive care overnight. From the video looks like his helmet saved his life or at least much worse damage to the head than concussion. Hope there's some good news on his state today...

Personally, I think it's stupid to have so many stages finish downhill in the valleys. Mountain-top finishes are so much more exciting and reduce the risk of crashing on a fast downhill after being completely knackered after over a hundred miles and exhausting climbs. The course planning's the main disappointment for me this year...

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:21 am

ThrowAway wrote:I want to see 900ft home runs and guys dunking from the half court line...I say let them dope.
+1

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090/saturday ... g-olympics

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:15 am

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Whoa, what a stage today! :) There goes my Wiggins podium finish though... :(

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:52 am

8O wrote:Great article about Voigt: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2009/c ... id=4344207
a good read :D

the schleck and contador battle up that last climb was amazing. i thought contador was going to do his thing when he pulled away but they bought him back. amazing stuff
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:00 am

just watched the replay. amazing finish. Contador's breakaway dropping his teammate, the Schleck brothers pulling the lead group, how cool is that? brothers kicking ass.

interesting about Jens Voigt's crash, it's hard to shake that replay. wear your helmet, watch the road. 8O

I appreciate the info from the forum. 8)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm

GENERAL CLASSIFICATION AFTER STAGE 18:

1. Alberto Contador (Spa/Astana) 73 hrs 15 mins 39 seconds
2. Andy Schleck (Lux/Saxo Bank) + 4 mins 11 secs
3. Lance Armstrong (USA/Astana) + 5 min 25 secs
4. Bradley Wiggins (GB/Garmin) + 5 min 36 secs
5. Andreas Kloden (Ger/Astana) + 5 mins 38 secs
6. Frank Schleck (Lux/Saxo Bank) + 5 mins 59 secs

Good ride by Wiggins today, but I can't help feel that he mis-paced it a bit at the end. Amazing ride by Andy Schleck!

I think the winner is already in the bag, barring accidents. But the battle for 3rd place will be interesting with only about 30 seconds separating them and Mont Ventoux looming ahead...

Hasn't been the best tour, but these last few days have been great, really exciting...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

tour starts at 6:30am here, I'm more about the 9-midnite replays. no worries about spoilers for me. was there anything notable to watch for? the games within the games?

Lance is riding again next year, this time for Radio Shack
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2009/n ... id=4349772
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 pm

I know nothing about any of this, but I work for Shimano, and every day for the past week, it's been an A.M. party at work - 10x10 projetion screen, coffee, donuts, bagels, juice, fruit, and plenty of seats to watch the action for the first half of the day. Haven't bought lunch all week.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 pm

john doe by choice wrote:I know nothing about any of this, but I work for Shimano, and every day for the past week, it's been an A.M. party at work - 10x10 projetion screen, coffee, donuts, bagels, juice, fruit, and plenty of seats to watch the action for the first half of the day. Haven't bought lunch all week.
Nice... what are Shimano like to work for?

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:00 pm

*** Spoiler alert for today's stage :wink: ***

Amazing finish by Cavendish, didn't think he'd have the legs in him after the mountain stages, but the lad's incredible, fair play. Think that stage win makes him the most successful British rider in the TdF ever! Tomorrow's spin up Ventoux should be great entertainment - hope there are lots of attacks to get that third place on the podium...