Good studio monitors?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave999z

Re: Good studio monitors?

Post by dave999z » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:10 pm

stjohn wrote:adam a7
+1

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:20 pm

ok, had a listen to some KRKs and the MR8s, went with the mackies in the end, they sound pretty amazing for the price!
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Ed J wrote:ok, had a listen to some KRKs and the MR8s, went with the mackies in the end, they sound pretty amazing for the price!
you see how interesting that discussion about monitors is, to me for example the mackies next to yamaha are the worsed monitors ever manufactured, i could puke if i need to listen to them...

so it is always good to choose yourself.
*** Image GAFM ***

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Yeah, it's all about taste, I listened to a bit of Golide on them in the shop and compared it to the KRKs and they were much punchier and had a way less muddy bottom end, so I bought them =]
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:23 pm

as has been discussed ad nauseum... for mixing (or mastering) you don't necessarily want monitors that sound "good" to you. you want monitors (1) that are detailed/revealing so that you can actually hear what's going on in your mix, and (2) that translate well to other systems (home stereos, car stereos, ipods, clubs). part of that second point is that you have to know your monitors (and your room). spend enough time with most monitors and you can get good at mixing on them in a way that translates well.

i use my adam A7s for all my routine composing, recording, and mixing tasks. they don't sound particularly pleasing to me (the way genelecs sound so beautiful for lack of a better word), but they are very detailed and quite flat so that I'm not far off from a good mix (low end is always a little mysterious). even at a normal volume (i never mix at a loud volume). and they are not fatiguing (can listen to them for hours).

i have headphones that i check on as well, because they eliminate any room issues and really point out little clicks, noise, stereo imaging issues, etc.

i also have a pair of NS-10s that I check mixes on (to the extent I get a song far enough along, which is rare), precisely because they pretty much sound like ass (harsh upper mid and really fast attacks; "craptastics" i call them) but do really translate well. if you get a mix sounding ok on those, it will probably sound good across a number of consumer systems.

so, think about exactly what you want/need out of your monitors before you go to demo them.

abort

Post by abort » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Thinking large mackie setup! ...hell anything other than KRK or M-Audio.

My suggestion would be large coned wide range system, instead of a smaller setup. You will most likely never truly going to hear that low end without a sub on a small cone system.

and for me those beyerdynamic headphones ...the $300 dollar cans, suck when trying to mix high end.

So back and forth and back again for me. PLEASE DON"T MAKE THAT SAME MISTAKE! :D :cry:

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:51 pm

I love my Yamaha HS-80-M studio monitors :D They beat the most other monitors i tested, like Genelec, Adam, KRK, Fostex and many more!
They are allround talents! Play some Jazz, play some Classical, play some house, play some hip hop...... and give them some signal and they will blow off your socks with a neutral clean natural sound! :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 pm

I received the inexpensive Mackie MR series as a gift, and although I'm happy to have them, I would not recommend them. So I imagine it will be similar with all the cheaper monitors--- save for a pair that you won't want to instantly upgrade.
Good Luck!

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:22 am

scott nathaniel wrote:I received the inexpensive Mackie MR series as a gift, and although I'm happy to have them, I would not recommend them. So I imagine it will be similar with all the cheaper monitors--- save for a pair that you won't want to instantly upgrade.
Good Luck!
Porque?

slirak

Post by slirak » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 am

funky shit wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote:I received the inexpensive Mackie MR series as a gift, and although I'm happy to have them, I would not recommend them. So I imagine it will be similar with all the cheaper monitors--- save for a pair that you won't want to instantly upgrade.
Good Luck!
Porque?
I've always preferred my monitors beefy.

gunforhire

Post by gunforhire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 am

I'd say the Genelec 8040 are pretty damn awesome monitors! Check em' out!

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:47 am

funky shit wrote:
Good Luck!
Porque?
Well, they're definitely a good deal for the price. They're fairly clear but seem a bit tinny-- kinda' tinny in the same way that low end condenser mics sound--almost brash, I guess. Perhaps it's more to do with my gear, don't know for sure. So, if one were to spend the exact amount that they cost, then I would recommend them. I'm just at the point where it's becoming more efficient to invest in gear with a longer shelf life. So, I suppose I recant a bit and say the Mackies are a good, even perhaps, a great deal, but..... :P

Aeroplay

Post by Aeroplay » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:49 am

I have Dyaudios. What bothers me is that I haven't been able to compare them to other monitors... I'm pretty happy with them, though...

Well, I guess that reeeally helps you! :mrgreen:

There you go... :wink:
By really understanding art, you become an artist yourself

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 am

KRKs are good enough for Allen Sides and Greg Penny two of the top paid mixers/producers in the world to use as a reference and in fact, M-Audios monitors are actually very good, especially the EX66s (unlike mostly everything else they make !), BUtch Vig among others champions their use.

This stuff is all so subjective - but you want monitors to be neutral and not the ones that necessarily sound best. For hifi speakers for presonal use that is fine, but as monitors for mixing music to the highest common denominator who buy, the ones which sound golden are probably artificially hyped - so your mix might sound awesome on those, but then take it to a regular set of speakers, boomboxes, car speakers etc, it might not translate anywhere near as good.

NS80s were used as standard for years in spite of being crap speakers as mentioned before.

I would vouch for the Adam A7s and most of the Dynaudio range even though I own and am happy with my KRKs.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.