% of Ableton forum memebers eaten by wild monkeys

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

% of Ableton forum memebers eaten by wild monkeys

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Glu's last post, a year and two days ago, writing on the Ableton forum from the Amazon jungle:
glu wrote:I am currently in the Amazon (hurray for satellite internerz), but I live in Austin for most of the year. I try to
get out of Texas for at least a quarter of the year because of the heat.
Austin is okay, the bus system is decent, there are festivals here all the
time, but yes it is becoming somewhat LA-ish and not in a good way. High
rises for yuppies are mushrooming by the dozens, and the lack of diversity
is a real problem. IH35 serves as a racial barrier in the city, or at least for
low-income families. The city is rapidly changing, but it is still a nice place
to live when you find your niche. I would personally get out of the US if
I had the opportunity, but that is a different question/post. However, Austin
is the best city to live in if you are in Texas. I would avoid Houston at all
costs.

If you enjoy parks, Austin has a few nice ones and the city is close to some
natural beauties, but remember, it is Texas so don't get your hopes up.

I believe you, John Gordon, really enjoy girls, and Austin has PLeeeeenty
of those waiting to be your next victims. The music scene here could be
better, but it is Austin, and you wouldn't have too much trouble finding a
place to play/Dj.

cheers
g
This is kind of weird, right? It's strange to be slightly concerned about someone you never met, but glu was a true regular around here for a number of years. Back in 2005 I was working in pro audio phone sales, and I ended up selling glu a Novation SL 25, I believe it was the first day we had them in stock. It was a funny call because in speaking to him about the Novation, it only took a question or two before we both realized who each other were, and that we interacted on this forum on a daily basis.

Another weird thing is what made me think of glu is that I had a gift certificate for Jamba Juice, so I stopped in there on my way to work. They were playing a good CSS tune in Jamba, and it reminded me that glu had done some sound design work in Ableton for that company's website. It made me think... what ever happened to that dude?

Then I look him up when I get to the office and it turns out it's almost exactly the one year anniversary of his disappearance into the Amazon jungle, on a mission to record gorillas with a Sony PCM-D50. 8O

UKRuss

Re: % of Ableton forum memebers eaten by wild monkeys

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:28 pm

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:22 pm

memebers :?: :?: :?:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Glu was constantly producing great music of different styles and he has (had?) a podcast through alonetone.com. It's been a while since I checked it out but I know he was still releasing tracks on it well past the time he stopped posting here. When I get home I'll have to check the date of the last track on his podcast.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:44 pm

djsynchro wrote:memebers :?: :?: :?:
forgive please my english poor... (attempt at Euro-newb posting style)

Many of us are really just MEMEbers. :)

I'd be interested in checking out those podcasts, BM.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

really funny because I have been tempted more than once in teh last couple of weeks to post a thread "whatever happened to GLU?" 8O

hope he's ok!

I'm having a bit of the same about Conny - remember him? We used to have a lot of email exchanges, then he just vanished. Last I heard he got a job and a new woman, so I'm hoping he just remembered "the real world" and abandoned the internet. I think we'd all like to do that given the chance.

Maybe GLU found Sigourney's groove.
Last edited by alex.the.forge on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l3xh2k

Post by l3xh2k » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

You can find glu at http://alonetone.com/glu where he still makes awesome music.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:05 pm

l3xh2k wrote:You can find glu at http://alonetone.com/glu where he still makes awesome music.
glu's stats
Last seen about 2 hours ago
8O

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:36 pm

IN THIS THREAD:

eaten by wild monkeys = getting a life

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:50 pm

It's funny that even though I realize people die randomly in a plethora of ways I never assume that somebody who is suddenly quiet on here has met death or some other misfortune, but has achieved some kind of big success in their life ....as if this place is some kind of holding pen for the "not quite there yet" people.

I also sometimes think the people we know for a fact who are blowing up in music get a letter from their label stating "You need to STFU on the internet. Nobody successful talks to the masses or airs opinions that would initiate some kind of instant 2 way dialogue."

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:34 pm

beats me wrote: ....as if this place is some kind of holding pen for the "not quite there yet" people.
sig worthy

:lol:

8O ... :?

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:51 pm

beats me wrote:It's funny that even though I realize people die randomly in a plethora of ways I never assume that somebody who is suddenly quiet on here has met death or some other misfortune, but has achieved some kind of big success in their life ....as if this place is some kind of holding pen for the "not quite there yet" people.

I also sometimes think the people we know for a fact who are blowing up in music get a letter from their label stating "You need to STFU on the internet. Nobody successful talks to the masses or airs opinions that would initiate some kind of instant 2 way dialogue."
Yeah. I wonder, for instance, whatever happened to our Afghanistan War gun-for-hire Ableton friend?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:56 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:Last seen about 2 hours ago
that punk. nice guy just up and left us. :(
alex.the.forge wrote:
beats me wrote: ....as if this place is some kind of holding pen for the "not quite there yet" people.
sig worthy

:lol:

8O ... :?
seriously... sorry peeps, I'm doomed to annoy you for as long as Ableton stays in business.
nowtime wrote:Yeah. I wonder, for instance, whatever happened to our Afghanistan War gun-for-hire Ableton friend?
there are a number of jerks in here that are determined to be as rude as possible to the guy. I think he pops up from time to time but the narrow mindedness of others caused him to split.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glu

Post by glu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:56 am

WOAH!

What's going on, gang? I apologize for just dropping out of the scene here. I'm amazed that I was even slightly remembered here! Big hugs!
Peru was utterly amazing--- I did not get eaten by wild monkeys, but I sure did record the hell out of them (as well as birds, ocelots, wild pigs, etc).
Life was really busy when I returned back to the rat race but I managed to continue making music. I became involved in a smaller coterie of musicians
(alonetone.com) which I have found to be a wonderful (and completely non-commercial) home for my music. I still browse the Ableton forums but
never logged back in because I had been so busy with school and music. Well, all that is over, and a little bird carried this message to me-- which
totally made my day! Hey Sam, Forge, Beats Me! I cannot believe you guys remembered me... I raise my glass of Shiraz to you tonight! Thanks for
restoring the faith. I'm back.

So, let me share with you what I did with all those jungle recordings:

http://alonetone.com/glu/playlists/bioelectrophilia

Sorry for this short, long overdue hello. Consider me back. Cheers! Hugs!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:08 am

Man I have never even heard of you (my bad, it sounds like) but I am even glad youre alive! haha talk about happy endings, shit that almost ruined my night.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.