OT: meat is Murder

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elxicano

Re: OT: meat is Murder

Post by elxicano » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Kodama wrote:Funny, I've been eating more raw foods, so when I see that sandwich and really want that purple cabbage or onion.

I think that it's worth noting that our tastes are somewhat formed at birth, then shaped strongly as infants.

After that, your taste can change further if you change your diet for long enough periods of time.

We will still crave basic flavor combinations (salty/fat/unami) which are embodied by (but not only) cooked meat, but learn to seriously appreciate other flavors as well.
Very, true... you change your diet long enough and you crave or dislike different things.

I rarely eat red meets, and I don't really crave it either like I used too. I would crave McDonalds (yes I'll admit it), but McDonalds in NY tastes like cardboard. I had no idea that McDonalds could find a lower low, since it was already just bad for you, but out here it also tastes bad.

I stopped eating/drinking foods that have corn syrup and after my initial cravings, I now have no desire for any of that crap, and even worse now, I can taste how Ocean Spray juices all taste like syrup instead of fruity picture they have on the container.

In case anyone bothers asking... I've stopped eating/drinking foods with corn syrup, because I began to notice that the time I gained the most weight, were after weeks of drinking things with Corn Syrup. After a test to see what would happen if I cut it out of my diet, I noticed immediately a very nice loss of weight, which I have no desire to gain back.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:17 pm

I eat meat but refuse to eat/support factory farming of animals. This basically means that most people think I'm a vegetarian and I've had to pretty much give up my favorite food (chicken). Good thing I've always loved veges. :)

I read a book about 3 years ago on globalization (I forget the title). Really dry and kinda boring read because it was written mostly from a 'science' perspective (yeah I read geeky books :P) unlike most stuff on subject which, to say politely, can be quite 'pushy' or aiming to shock. However, even with just straight facts, by about page 100 I was off factory farming forever.

I'm kinda stuck in this weird place between people that are like 'give me meat I don't care how!' and the 'you can't eat meat!' people. Also my music is too different for Drum and Bass people and too Drum and Bass for different people.... :lol:

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Trip Downtown wrote:I eat meat but refuse to eat/support factory farming of animals. This basically means that most people think I'm a vegetarian and I've had to pretty much give up my favorite food (chicken). Good thing I've always loved veges. :)

I read a book about 3 years ago on globalization (I forget the title). Really dry and kinda boring read because it was written mostly from a 'science' perspective (yeah I read geeky books :P) unlike most stuff on subject which, to say politely, can be quite 'pushy' or aiming to shock. However, even with just straight facts, by about page 100 I was off factory farming forever.

I'm kinda stuck in this weird place between people that are like 'give me meat I don't care how!' and the 'you can't eat meat!' people. Also my music is too different for Drum and Bass people and too Drum and Bass for different people.... :lol:
If you ever remember the title, I would be interested in reading your geeky, scientific perspective, book.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 pm

elxicano wrote: If you ever remember the title, I would be interested in reading your geeky, scientific perspective, book.
I got it from the library so next time I'm there I'll have a look around. :)

Edit/addition: Random addition regarding the changing of your taste in food. When I was 18 I wondered if we have kinda built in tastes we like or if we could actually change these. I could have probably done some research or something I don't particularly think like that. :lol: I picked one common food I hated (tomatoes, the bane of my shop purchased sandwiches), and forced myself to eat them everytime they were in food. It literally took months but for the last 10 odd years I've actually really liked tomatoes and willingly buy them from the supermarket. :D

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Trip Downtown wrote:
elxicano wrote: If you ever remember the title, I would be interested in reading your geeky, scientific perspective, book.
I got it from the library so next time I'm there I'll have a look around. :)

Edit/addition: Random addition regarding the changing of your taste in food. When I was 18 I wondered if we have kinda built in tastes we like or if we could actually change these. I could have probably done some research or something I don't particularly think like that. :lol: I picked one common food I hated (tomatoes, the bane of my shop purchased sandwiches), and forced myself to eat them everytime they were in food. It literally took months but for the last 10 odd years I've actually really liked tomatoes and willingly buy them from the supermarket. :D
Hmmm... I'll have to see if I'm brave enough to do the same with grapefruit. My whole family loves grapefruit, except for me.

jsg4z

Post by jsg4z » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:00 pm

grapefruit in fruit salad makes everything taste like grapefruit. its like fruit rape. no good i say.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Cantaloupe and durian for me 8O

And I only like papaya in things, not by itself...
Last edited by Kodama on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm

UKRuss wrote: I don't do innards though, heart and brain, liver and kidney and all that shite, food for the poor.

Och, c'mon Jimmy, hoo r ya meant tae make a wee haggis withoot the innards?

jsg4z

Post by jsg4z » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Kodama wrote:Cantaloupe and durian for me 8O

And I only like papaya in things, not by itself...
whats the fun in eating a fruit that smells like garbage and feet had a child?

slirak

Post by slirak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Tone Deft wrote:pigs are predisposed to eat feces.
Now even though I currently eat meat (have been a veggie at times), I won't debate that there are several arguments against it. It can be considered murder, (too much of it) can be unhealthy and our industrial production of meat is problematic both in how we treat fellow living beings and how it affects the environment.

But pigs are NOT filthy animals by definition, nor are they predisposed to eat faeces.

Yes, I've heard stories too about pigs eating faeces and maybe they will, if they don't have an option. But I grew up on a farm and know that pigs are really quite clean animals given the opportunity. (And lets face it, there aren't much nutrition left in poo...)

Yes, they like to roll in mud, it protects their skin (remarkably similar to ours) from the sun and because they cannot sweat. But they certainly won't roll in mud contaminated by faeces or urine if they have access to clean mud. Not to mention eat it!

They're omnivores, just like us, and will eat whatever is necessary to stay alive if they don't have a choice. But if left with an option, they actually prefer stuff like roots and fruits.

Pigs are by nature clean, social and intelligent. That we humans sometimes put them in a position that leaves them no choice, well, do blame the two-legged swines for that. (Oink oink!)

Pigs are however prone to parasitic deceases that are transferable to humans. That's probably why some religions regard eating them a bad thing.

Me, I actually feel bad every time I have pork, because I think pigs aren't very different to domestic pets like cats or dogs (now dogs are filthy in comparison!). Still enjoy a good BLT though... :oops:

/Jonas
(squeaks like a piggy)
Last edited by slirak on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Are you all mad....You want conspiracy???? the US government spends more annually covering up the truth about fruit and vegetable poisoning than they do on invading countries of differing political or religious beliefs.

Besides, if we weren't meant to eat animals, then why did God make them out of meat?

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Pigs are pretty clean animals in a natural habitat, the idea is to buy organic/free range meat, more expensive, but they won't have been living in their own shit and actually tastes better.
jesso wrote:There are so many reasons not to eat meat, its crazy. I'm vegan. I reckon if your not prepared to actually go out into the field and kill the animal yourself, then you shouldn't be eating it.
I've never grown a vegetable, milked a cow etc

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 pm

jsg4z wrote:if the govt really wanted to kill you, Wendys would have these on the menu:

though the triple whopper with cheese does come close...
that would be to fast, they want to rob you first.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 pm

no argument with the pig talk. I'm germaphobic and weird like that. when I get it into my head that something's not right with food, I won't eat it. like in restaurants when they bring you chips and salsa, I rarely eat it, never if it's on the table before we get there. it's good to get exposed to germs but I'm weird about public food, and pork.

how many times has this been discussed before?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jsg4z

Post by jsg4z » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 pm

A one third pound of sirloin topped with two slices of white American cheese, four strips of bacon, peanut butter, between two Krispy Kreme donuts.

i can't decide if i would eat this...my gut says yes, brain says no. any takers? (non-vegans)