Logic 9 out!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 pm

SubFunk wrote: i feel the same... but i still have hope they can manage just a tiny bit... you know...

it sort of feels not right, Live is the only app that whenever an update comes it makes you feel like you need to go straight away out and buy the latest super computer at the same time you upgrade...

i am really in the boat of having less functionality in Live and a bit better performance.

but i know, i am on my own regarding that.
I hear you, I would like to work 100% in Live, and mostly I do. It's when I have to really edit audio, or want to do heavy CPU taxing stuff that DP and Logic look good. I'm not a fan of porting audio from/to other DAWs though. It seems like I never set the tempo in Live to the tempo that was set in Logic and have Live's warp engine work without having to adjust every track by hand.
I actually work the opposite of what I hear most people do though, I'll start something in logic, then port rendered audio into Live, remix it maybe, then eventually take it back to Logic for mix down. Though last time I didn't do that, it was OK, but I think I'm going to be relearning DP as I really like the mix environment there, and MIDI editing is great in DP.

djsynchro
Posts: 7471
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by djsynchro » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:15 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
LOGIC PRO 9 IS JUST RELEASED... AND SEEMS ALREADY STABLE AND RELIABLE!!! ???

(yes we can see some little bugs are reported, but, 98% of Logic 9 new users are according to say it's stable and reliable...)

Used to deal with ableton or NI software, I can't imagine a just-released-software to be, well, just working...
even my virust Ti has needed more than one year of several updates to access (!) a quite ok reliability level...

Do you logic 9 new users confirm this incredible reliability?

cheers

HOW DARE YOU question the stability of Logic Pro which is an APPLE product?
That means it "Just works" it never crashes unlike PCs that crash all the time.

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by timothyallan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:57 pm

don't forget that it sounds warmer as well because of the summing bus

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by supamonsta » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I'd like to know one thing:

in live:

I create one midi track, drag an impulse, drag 3-4 drums hits into, a few cliks in the piano roll later I got a riddim looping.

in Logic:

is it so easy? what equivalent for impulse (EXS24? ultrabeat?)

I found a "demo" copy of logic express 9, so i'll check this out by myself I guess...

I'm more and more thinking about keeping live only for live gigs, and getting a better tooled DAW for composition (I need multiple clip / midi windows, separate arrangement / mixer, midi event list, better midi edition tools, multiple automations, etc.)

Digital performer seems REALLY different from live (and I hate the fact that 2 or 3 times I tried it and was able to do... quite nothing), but logic seems, well, much more "lively logical"...


ps:
timothyallan wrote:don't forget that it sounds warmer as well because of the summing bus
do you mean that discussing this topic is for clowns? so WTF are you doing there? please let me know, I'm a bit paranoid and I feel like I'm under attack...

just tell me, I don't get the irony please :wink:
peace
Last edited by supamonsta on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:56 pm

HOW DARE YOU question the stability of Logic Pro which is an APPLE product?
:lol:

I'm fucked up till the bones dude, I live at night, I'm freakin' dangerous and I have no fear 8)

lol

Migra
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by Migra » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:35 pm

ethios4 wrote:Yea, looks like they took a whole lot of the new features from Live.

Instant sampler? Library browser? Selective import? Track notes? All in one window? Live Live Live.

Drum Replacer, Low latency mode, and the 'takes' folder look great.

Only 15 plugins per mix channel?! Only 32 groups?! Surprising.

Probably a nice upgrade for Logic users, but nothing exciting for me as a Live user.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:41 pm

monstrejumo wrote: Digital performer seems REALLY different from live (and I hate the fact that 2 or 3 times I tried it and was able to do... quite nothing), but logic seems, well, much more "lively logical"...
Yeah MOTU really need to set up an youtube account and go to town explaining the basics in DP. It is different than Live in every way:
dedicated drum pattern editor, audio editor, separate windows etc. There's a couple stupid naming paradigms they came up with that confuse things, the Song Window is really a set, or 'song construction' window. Sequences can be parts of songs or whole songs, and Chunks are basically a floating window that contains all relevant Sequences and Songs for a project. Mainly, it's that Sequences are one long stream of data, loops don't have little boxes around them so all MIDI is always accessible, but because of that markers are not just handy, they're almost necessary.
It's a crazy open ended way to work, but consequentially it's a good match to Live IMO, because it's not the same, and stretches you into a new way of working that involves complete songs and not just loop building. I'm a big fan of underdogs admittedly, but DP is definitely unique. 8)

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by timothyallan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:23 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
timothyallan wrote:don't forget that it sounds warmer as well because of the summing bus
do you mean that discussing this topic is for clowns? so WTF are you doing there? please let me know, I'm a bit paranoid and I feel like I'm under attack...

just tell me, I don't get the irony please :wink:
peace
It's fondly known as 'taking the piss' ;)

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:58 am

@Timothy : OK, "taking the piss" seems to mean "gently piss off discussing people by entering the debate with useless ironic jokes" ? :lol:

anyway, I'm not paranoid today, and such a quote makes me laugh (are you sure it's warmer, cool!!!) :wink:


@MachinesWorking:

thanks for your input, indeed DP is a kind of Alien gear when you're only used to live (I have used cubase VST 8-10 years ago, but really not in depth, I also used fruity loops 2 and fast tracker II when I began with electro music, but I'm quite well used to live now since 3-4 years).

I really understand your point (new way of working), but I assume it involves a really too big learning curve for me (I'm a fast learner, but... even creating a midi track seems so complicated in DP, I tried several times to use it, try it, but it is so deep and different minded that it pisses me off... I don't doubt it is a super program, but I can't take one year to get ready to compose a track with it.)

I didn't try logic yet, but reading the manual, seeing pics, reading forums, it seems to my eyes that it would be really easier for me to use without a too big learning curve.

But I'm not buying a DAW today, so I'm open to all suggestions, and I'll keep getting informed about DP and logic.

What matters for me is the ability to get the software, and with not too much brainstroming beeing able to feel ready to compose. that's not the case with DP. Yes I have to RTFM, but I'd like to be able to find easily the basic stuff (create and configure audio and midi tracks, track routings, sidechainings, midi recording and edition...) in logical places in the software...

thanks for your comment,

cheers

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by timothyallan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:28 am

monstrejumo wrote:@Timothy : OK, "taking the piss" seems to mean "gently piss off discussing people by entering the debate with useless ironic jokes" ? :lol:
Nope, it means that I am making fun of an ongoing war between DAWs which is pretty much based on lack of solid evidence and general internet arguing. Mainly because it is very similar to asking strangers "What is this car like to drive?", when you really should just go test drive it yourself as you will get a thousand differing answers ;)

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:14 pm

I didn't feel this one topic like a DAW war / which one is sounding better,

but I agree these comparisons about which DAW sounds better are totaly useless and very often totally subjective.

I think the present topic is much more orientated towards discussing about the interests of logic 9, in comparison with other daws and live, not about how they "sound", but more about their specific tools and goals.

I personnally am not searching for advices to get a "better sounding" replacement for live. I KEEP live, I LOVE live, and I love playing live with live :wink:

I don't think Live has a bad sound, and if so I don't matter because I think my 100% ableton productions do have a good sound (even if I still have lots of work to improve my sound).

But since almost 1 year I'm thinking about getting a "real", or "classical" DAW to improve the composition (I miss more midi tools) and mixing stage (I miss a real dual screen stuff, multiple automations by track...)

I also love these ableton forums and all of you that give great advices, and for a good number who are experienced people. That's why I dive in when I see topics like this one.

But I'm realising that it seems a bit difficult here to speak of the advantages that other software can provide in comparison with live.

Lots of people here are 100% happy with live as their unique music production app, and that's great, but why don't they let us discuss about stuff we don't like, or stuff that are not from ableton?

I prefer getting comments about logic HERE, because I'm pretty sure that on logic forums people will only try to persuade me that logic is the only best... and because I trust a lot the people involved here. (I've learnt so much things here, and I still do)


and that's why I didn't like your comment, sorry if I took it too seriously :wink:

cheers


EDIT :
it is very similar to asking strangers "What is this car like to drive?", when you really should just go test drive it yourself as you will get a thousand differing answers
yes you're right, the best way is to give a personnal try (when it's possible... neither DP nor Logic are "demoable" ). But what's the interest of forums if people everytime make answers like "go test it yourself", "do what is best for you", "it's orange and apples", etc. :?:

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by timothyallan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Right, well I see that there's no winning, so I will leave with this.

I went to a friends house, tried Logic, and bought it a few months ago for much the same reasons as you are stating. It is a much more 'adult' DAW that Live. Sometimes that's better, sometimes it's not.

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:34 pm

hugs Timothy

I re-read the whole thread, and NO ONE has spoken about sound quality comparisons here, but YOU (in a humour sense of course, spaking and LOLling about logic's warmth) :wink:

anyway that's it. I'm sold. I'll try my logic express 9 "demo" this week-end to be sure. (workflow really matters for me)

for the warmth side... no matter because I have mixbussn and its summing engine smokes every daw on earth. 8)


(Lolling)

cheers

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by SubFunk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:13 pm

timothyallan wrote:Right, well I see that there's no winning, so I will leave with this.

I went to a friends house, tried Logic, and bought it a few months ago for much the same reasons as you are stating. It is a much more 'adult' DAW that Live. Sometimes that's better, sometimes it's not.
wow, don't get flamed for saying that it is more 'adult' :wink:

na, serious i hear you... i use also both.

i do sound for a movie / TV project right now, i use (very unusual, thou...) live for the backup recording on set.
i figured out a great workflow through the session view which serves me perfectly.

for the editing... i use Logic, thou... Live does not have enough support / workflows i personally expect / need for that task.
for the sound design i use again partly Live... to me it's like if you are a handy crafts man you use as well different tools for different needs..
or do you slam a screw with a hammer into the wall?

but it seems that around here you need to use only a hammer for everything... just kidding, actually not really.

both have there own right (next to many others) for whatever your workflow /need is to accomplish a task most comfortable...

my2cents.
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 pm

i figured out a great workflow through the session view which serves me perfectly.
I'd like to hear more about that :wink:


I'd like also to know how is the live+logic going with your cpu (what computer specs you got?)

(I imagine setting up harrison mixbus as a 3rd layer on top of that dual DAW... :| )

Post Reply