Logic 9 out!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:14 pm

^^^ hey, i absolutely want Ableton to get a grip on it.

what buggers me is also, that i do not use a lot of very weird alien plugs (cause i had a talk about the problem if developers do not stick to certain parameters while writing VSTs mainly if it is freebees (i also use 98% AUs, btw and apple again knows why they do a AU check and don't support crap VSTs no AU following "the rules" is accepted / loads in logic!!! clever move!!!) at the last ALUGB meeting with one of the abes... ), but respected products, such as AAS, Bias, etc. and if freebees, then also mainly stuff like TAL or voxengo... no kinda stuff you would thing causes major trouble... in other words none of the plugs give me a headache in any other host i use or tried...
*** Image GAFM ***

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:46 pm

/me planning on setting up osx hackintosh style on his next laptop for the sole purpose of being able to use logic.

the cpu issue in live is really killing me. I LOVE Live's workflow and can't really see myself leaving it anytime soon, but jesus christ can I possibly do a tune with more than 8 channels without my cpu going to shit?

I really like the idea of a preference toggle to switch between DAW mode and Live mode to let those of us using Live as our main DAW to squeeze some more juice out of the program in the studio

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Kodama wrote:It just seems bizarre to me that after all these years, companies haven't ripped off session view.
uh,in a way Native Instruments has with Maschine,now all i need is that 1.1 update to sequence and (hopefully)automate any external plugin or hardware.
this would mean i have a pseudo-Live inside.......Live.....

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:06 pm

tempus3r wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Plug in GUI's in Logic can now be resized up to 200% too, which goes a long way towards making those tiny controls mosre useable :)
Thank christ. I felt like i needed a Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glass to use them in the past.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: true indeed,but that didn't stop me from using the amazing SCULPTURE

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:48 pm

I don't know if it's just me or not, but does anyone else find many of the plugins and instruments are just not easy on the eyes at all? They are super complex and "futuristic" looking and they just don't seem totally logical in their design. Frankly, I would call many of them ugly compared to what we use in Live. I guess it's a small gripe, because the sound that you get out of them is just fantastic. I was just hoping that the version 9 updated would address this in some capacity.

I have only used Logic fairly briefly, so my opinion can be definitely taken with a grain of salt. I'm more of an outsider looking in...
Last edited by Zeddy on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Zeddy wrote:Frankly, I would call many of them ugly compared to what we use in Live.
Frankly I've never really understood why people like the Live GUI, it's almost word processor looking to me, though not as bad as earlier versions of Cakewalk(Sonar)...
I personally can't stand scrolling left and right to address plug in parameters, but that's like you said, probably just me. :)

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Zeddy wrote:Frankly, I would call many of them ugly compared to what we use in Live.
Frankly I've never really understood why people like the Live GUI, it's almost word processor looking to me, though not as bad as earlier versions of Cakewalk(Sonar)...
I personally can't stand scrolling left and right to address plug in parameters, but that's like you said, probably just me. :)
I can definitely understand your opinion as well. A few of my good friends feel the same way. Something about the 2D simplified interface really appeals to me. It's not overly flashy, and seems almost utilitarian in design. I just like looking at it for hours on end. It's definitely not perfect though, and I can agree that scrolling sideways is a pain... thank god for 360 degree scroll balls. If not for that, then I'm sure i would be much more annoyed by it.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:27 am

Zeddy wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
I can definitely understand your opinion as well. A few of my good friends feel the same way. Something about the 2D simplified interface really appeals to me. It's not overly flashy, and seems almost utilitarian in design. I just like looking at it for hours on end. It's definitely not perfect though, and I can agree that scrolling sideways is a pain... thank god for 360 degree scroll balls. If not for that, then I'm sure i would be much more annoyed by it.
I've been loading up Reason recently to play some old projects and there are some things I really love about reason, but that interface drives me mad. Really small knobs, it looks like a toy and is really difficult to work with - in that respect I feel Live's interface is by far the most functional

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:00 am

McQ714 wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Someone once said:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
but Timbaland never said, "I ripped them off fair and square!"
but don't forget...Igor Stravinsky was reported to have said, "Good composers borrow, great composers steal."

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:44 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:I've been loading up Reason recently to play some old projects and there are some things I really love about reason, but that interface drives me mad. Really small knobs, it looks like a toy and is really difficult to work with - in that respect I feel Live's interface is by far the most functional
Ditto. When record came out I reinstalled Reason for the first time in years to give it a go again, and the size of those tiny knobs really suprised me. A lot different from the days when I was using a 1024x768 monitor :)

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Tarekith wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:I've been loading up Reason recently to play some old projects and there are some things I really love about reason, but that interface drives me mad. Really small knobs, it looks like a toy and is really difficult to work with - in that respect I feel Live's interface is by far the most functional
Ditto. When record came out I reinstalled Reason for the first time in years to give it a go again, and the size of those tiny knobs really suprised me. A lot different from the days when I was using a 1024x768 monitor :)
yeah - honestly I loaded up Record when I got the beta and took one look at it on my 13" macbook screen and just quit it

I was interested to check it out, but I just can't imaging doing long sessions with an interface that's so cramped and jumbled

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 am

After doing a whole track in Logic 8 over this weekend, I've sold my MPC and am buying Logic 9 ;)

It just sounds so warmer.

LOL No, it doesn't.... and yes I'm getting it. Anyone got any good pricing hookups for the full version in Aus?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:37 am

timothyallan wrote:After doing a whole track in Logic 8 over this weekend, I've sold my MPC and am buying Logic 9 ;)

It just sounds so warmer.

LOL No, it doesn't.... and yes I'm getting it. Anyone got any good pricing hookups for the full version in Aus?
not really OT but maybe ableton should just make G. Lengeling a decent offer, i am 100% shure it would solve a lot of there problems. :wink:
*** Image GAFM ***

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:57 pm

SubFunk wrote: not really OT but maybe ableton should just make G. Lengeling a decent offer, i am 100% shure it would solve a lot of there problems. :wink:
Interesting.. Who is he :oops: ?

Hd

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 pm

heavensdaw wrote:
SubFunk wrote: not really OT but maybe ableton should just make G. Lengeling a decent offer, i am 100% shure it would solve a lot of there problems. :wink:
Interesting.. Who is he :oops: ?

Hd
this one gave us some pretty decent Googlish

http://www.economy-point.org/g/gerhard-lengeling.html