Logic 9 out!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bynoe

Logic 9 out!

Post by bynoe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Flex time looks interesting

Hidden Driveways

Re: Logic 9 out!

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:06 pm

Linx or it didn't happen...

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:10 pm

[edit]

I stand corrected!

.m
Last edited by Lo-Fi Massahkah on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:12 pm

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Unlike the bump up to Logic Studio, I'm not seeing anything here that has me dying to upgrade immediately (I was upgrading from Logic Express then), but when I do get around to dropping the money, it looks like there's some nice new stuff here.

If I still did the sort of performances where I sing + play guitar, the amp stuff looks really handy. The looper not so much (compared to Ableton's).

The time stretching stuff and other things will be nice though.

PS: Ell oh ell at the number of things from Live 7 and 8 that are making their way into Logic now.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm

looking alot like Live!:
- groove template
- swapping project data and presets
- "Convert to Sampler Instrument"

other niceness
- flex tool (finally!)
- take folders improvements / comping (wasnt really ready for last release)

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Yea, looks like they took a whole lot of the new features from Live.

Instant sampler? Library browser? Selective import? Track notes? All in one window? Live Live Live.

Drum Replacer, Low latency mode, and the 'takes' folder look great.

Only 15 plugins per mix channel?! Only 32 groups?! Surprising.

Probably a nice upgrade for Logic users, but nothing exciting for me as a Live user.

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:44 pm

I think it looks great, in fact ill wait to have a play, but it looks like i might be leaving here.. this update appears to exactly what i need for me and my band now.
Looking at those flex time vids - and aligning it to the kick drum - insane!!!

I hope the tape deck thing in Logic is as easy to use as launching clips in live - that'd be the deal breaker for me.
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:47 pm

Bounce-in-Place lets you quickly render effects for a single region or an entire track.
This will be a lot nicer than bouncing and then having to drag in the audio file from the browser.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Not much exciting going on as far as I can see yet. Although I might upgrade my Logic Studio 8 to 9 just for Bounce-in place...

No mention of any improvements to any of the instruments. Is the the EXS24 finally enjoyable to use?

There seems to be a lot of control surface mapping improvements too, which is one of the biggest pains in the ass in Logic. But still, they didn't seem to change that much on the surface.

KVR must be going mental right now...
Professional Shark Jumper.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm

That beast ain't going to be running on my 2.1ghz Macbook! Even v8's 'Mainstage' app ate up the CPU like nobodies business, so lord knows how v9 will run.

It does look pretty, though!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Have to say I'm probably going to upgrade to Logic 9 before upgrading to Live 8 for many reasons. The main one being that Mainstage got some major improvements that honestly Live should have incorporated: things like importing audio tracks with the ability to use the markers as loop points, so you import 16 tracks into Mainstage, and all the markers show up as 'clips' you can fire in Mainstage. Plus it supports Rewire now, so for instance I can load heavy plug ins into Mainstage, with Live rewired, then load 'light' Live sets that take less than 15 seconds to load etc. Sculpture and other Logic instruments are easily incorporated into Live, so transfering EXS instruments isn't necessary.
The time stretching in Logic doesn't look tied to warp markers of any kind, which is cool IMO. Not abandoning Live, but I do think Live has become less geared towards live use than it should be, Ableton don't seem to be concerned with things like the time it takes to open Live sets, allowing multiple instances at the same time, integration with other software etc.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:45 pm

It just seems bizarre to me that after all these years, companies haven't ripped off session view.

:?:

Logic still looks very sweet and has some really nice features & devices that Live does not, but session view, the minimal interface, and Live's macros and groups are also important to me so I wouldn't be switching from Live any time soon.

Add M4L to that, and I may never be able to leave Live!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 pm

For those of us that have Logic Studio 8 and Live Suite 8 there is not very much appeal to Logic 9.

But for those who only have Logic 8 I would think Logic 9 to be very appealing.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear