So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
glitchrock-buddha

Re: So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Does anyone else think it's a bit odd that they haven't come up with anything like an instrument rack yet in Logic? It's still single instrument per track. It's pretty easy to have midi going to multiple instrument channels and group them but that leaves out key zones and fades and such. Mainstage does something like this, I'm just a bit surprised Logic doesn't. Or did I miss it? I've barely touched in 2 years.

I don't really care, as I've got Kore 2, but I would have thought Logic would have some type of instrument rack by now.
Professional Shark Jumper.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:47 pm

You can rack your Fx, but not instruments. At least not in the channel strip. It's easy to layer, by cabling your stuff together copying regions, and grouping channels, but yeah, I can see how having two or more instruments in one channel strip would be cool too.

You can make your own channel strips with the environment though. And then assign those controls to your MIDI controller and you're good.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Glad I got rid of Logic, the thought of going back makes me shiver. I need some limitations.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:Glad I got rid of Logic, the thought of going back makes me shiver. I need some limitations.
I'm actually glad I kept mine. I think it'll be fun using it again. I'd never want more than 2 DAWs but switching it up can be intersting. It took me a while to realize, but after watching the videos and reading a lot about the small things, I think it'll be a good workflow, very different from Live. Good to change it up sometimes. Once Max4Live comes out though and I've got my APC40 it may be very difficult to pull myself away from Live.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:36 pm

I'll buy you a beer if you can get me an audio clip of a good "dun dun duunnnnnnn" :D

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm

timothyallan wrote:Any tips/advice/workflow or other things you wish you'd figured out when you first started with it?

BTW Not totally jumping ship, but I reaaaaaly enjoyed the extra CPU I squeezed out of my machine when I had a copy of logic 8 for a few days.
Get used to the famous "couldn't synchronize midi and audio" error message that will stop your song even if the average cpu is about 5%. :twisted:

Or is the cpu spike problem solved with Logic 9? That would be very good news.
Live 9.0.6; Push; Mac OS 10.8.5; MacBook Pro 2.4GHz/8GB Intel Core i7

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 pm

p8guitar wrote:
timothyallan wrote:Any tips/advice/workflow or other things you wish you'd figured out when you first started with it?

BTW Not totally jumping ship, but I reaaaaaly enjoyed the extra CPU I squeezed out of my machine when I had a copy of logic 8 for a few days.
Get used to the famous "couldn't synchronize midi and audio" error message that will stop your song even if the average cpu is about 5%. :twisted:

Or is the cpu spike problem solved with Logic 9? That would be very good news.
Check out these free videos by MacPro Video:
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicfirstlook

One of the first things he says in the first video about little improvements is less cpu spiking.
I don't know if that goes for all situations or what but it's a good sign.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:59 pm

8O wrote:I'll buy you a beer if you can get me an audio clip of a good "dun dun duunnnnnnn" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:00 pm

I'm starting to think that an upgrade from Pro7 to Studio9 might be in order... I do love Logic very much! Just a shame that Pro 7 doesn't play nicely with Intel machines... Boo!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 pm

timothyallan wrote:
8O wrote:I'll buy you a beer if you can get me an audio clip of a good "dun dun duunnnnnnn" :D
Oooh, close, but I had a more dramatic, descending, black and white dun dun dunnnnnnn in mind, less psycho prairie dog dun dun dunnnnnnnn.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 pm

8O wrote:
timothyallan wrote:
Oooh, close, but I had a more dramatic, descending, black and white dun dun dunnnnnnn in mind, less psycho prairie dog dun dun dunnnnnnnn.
Yeah, I know but DPD had to do in a pinch ;)

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:34 pm

8O wrote:
timothyallan wrote:
I know what you mean - it must have a name and is probably infamous in Sound Design circles like the Wilhelm scream

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Oh no, I probably have to stop using Logic. I've been trawling their forums and it's filled with people saying how Logics sound engine makes things sound plastic and is inferior to other DAWs. Their mixes come out all muddy or too thin because of the inferior summing bus, it must be awful having to deal with that. :lol: I'm so glad that never happens with Live!!

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:54 pm

timothyallan wrote:Oh no, I probably have to stop using Logic. I've been trawling their forums and it's filled with people saying how Logics sound engine makes things sound plastic and is inferior to other DAWs. Their mixes come out all muddy or too thin because of the inferior summing bus, it must be awful having to deal with that. :lol: I'm so glad that never happens with Live!!
try inserting the ES2 on the master channel.. it gives the mix some warmth and will get rid of that plastic sound.. and it's also great for mastering as the synth just glues everything together.. :wink:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Es2 makes my masters sound too clinical and thin. Es1 is more vintage. Makes my master sound warmer and more analog.