Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ckluxen

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by ckluxen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi wiffbi,

thanks a lot for the update, so far I couldn`t get my korg nanokontrol at work, sending absolute CC at channel 1.
I don`t know to much about CC messages, but should it be 7-bit absolute Controller?
So far it behaves like zero/full level.

Thanks

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi, oh, this is so embarrassing – I forgot to convert int to float, so then absolute values turn into this zero or full level-thing. I fixed it and published it on git as well as on the website. Sorry, please download it again (it is still called v1.1) and give it try – sorry, I am in a hurry, but will check back later.

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you wiffbi,

it`s now working great and I`m very glad its working. Your my man and your patch is really done the way I had done it (if I could...).
All the Controller and patches I know didn`t get it (except the 8 macro controls perhaps), cause I had always to think where am I? Oh Shit, I use the mouse instead.
But that patch got it right!

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!

Ok, there`s one question again: How can I control all sends? There are no CC in the midi implementation for the last possible sends.

Just my german english.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 am

ckluxen wrote:Ok, there`s one question again: How can I control all sends? There are no CC in the midi implementation for the last possible sends.
I updated the documentation to include the pre-mapped MIDI CCs for Sends 5-8. See here:
http://stc.wiffbi.com/midi-implementati ... er-Control

If you need to control more sends, let me know – that would only be a small update to the settings.py

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for update Richard!!

I have another suggestion: Would there be a way of automatically suppressing the shortcuts if Ableton is not the topped program? If for some reason I switch to Logic, the STC shortcuts prevent Logic's from working.

Selected clip control would be good too as soon as you get the time. Just clip volume control really! I already control clip loop via an Ableton shortcut and it works on multiple clips - whichever are selected. Selecting a bunch and mixing their volumes altogether would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g

All the best

keppy

Post by keppy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:50 am

Hey there,

Thanks again for the great app. Donated today. I wanted to know if the command for play/stop works for midi controllers. In the reference, it says it's note 20. I haven't been able to get this to work, everything else works perfect. I really like the control for sends, amazing how easy and simple it is to use.

Thanks again,

Jeff

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:28 pm

keppy wrote:Thanks again for the great app. Donated today. I wanted to know if the command for play/stop works for midi controllers. In the reference, it says it's note 20. I haven't been able to get this to work, everything else works perfect. I really like the control for sends, amazing how easy and simple it is to use.
Thanks for your support! Actually you’re right: I had note 20 MIDI-mapped from within Live in my default set, so I did not realize I haven’t auto-mapped it through STC. I fixed it and also added more MIDI-shortcuts concerning play-control: the most useful being "play from selection if any else from startmarker"/stop. Furthermore I added undo/redo via MIDI.
I updated the documentation as well, so you will be able to see the MIDI notes needed for these additions.

I also added shortcuts for stopping any playing clip on the selected track as well as stopping all clips on all tracks.

You can download the latest release from the Website or directly from github.com at
https://github.com/wiffbi/Selected_Trac ... all/master

Badger123 wrote:I have another suggestion: Would there be a way of automatically suppressing the shortcuts if Ableton is not the topped program? If for some reason I switch to Logic, the STC shortcuts prevent Logic's from working.

Selected clip control would be good too as soon as you get the time. Just clip volume control really! I already control clip loop via an Ableton shortcut and it works on multiple clips - whichever are selected. Selecting a bunch and mixing their volumes altogether would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g
Concerning suppressing the shortcuts: kind of yes, I can remember having worked on this feature for the app converting the keyboard-shortcuts. But currently I upgraded to Snow Leopard (lucky me, because shortly after, i had a HD-crash and Time Machine saved my a**) and I cannot build the shortcut app on Snow Leopard. But I am looking into this … hopefully it does not mean, that I need to drop support for Tiger.

Concerning selected clip control: as far as API documentation (and my code-investigation) reveals, there is very little you can do to a clip through the API. E.g. there is no volume for clips through the API. AFAIK you can start, stop, toggle warping, change pitch and loop, and probably color. That’s about it. A clip has a muted-attribute, but in my tests this did not do anything (I hoped it would add a keyboard shortcut for the context-menu to (de)activate a clip – such as in Logic pressing m when in Arrangement view and having clips selected).

Cheers,
Richard

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Richard

i hope that keeping up with the OSs isn't too problematic..

On the clip volume thing: When you activate midi mapping, the volume is highlighted in the clip view along with all the other parameters all over live. If it works like the loop toggler for clips (which is accessible via a normal key command) it will control all selected clips simultaneusly. This means that Selected Clip Control is right there to be added without too much under-the-hood activity.

Thanks for looking into the activate/de-activate clips conundrum.

All the best!

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:20 pm

@Badger123: Thanks, I actually managed to get it working on Snow Leopard and I can build it with the latest XCode (and still have Tiger-support). I also started to explore the options to deactivate key-commands if Live is not front-most. One would be to still intercept (as STC currently does) but to ignore and forward them to the frontmost app if it is not Live. But I am struggling with forwarding key-strokes in Cocoa (not my primary language when programming) so I might try the other route: register hot-keys if Live is in front and unregister them if it is not.

The problem with selected clip control is: although some things are MIDI-mappable through the GUI, they are not available via the Python-API – and this is what’s needed, when writing MIDI Remote Scripts. But Ableton might update the Python-API so maybe we are lucky ...

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 pm

@Badger123: I updated the app that intercepts the keyboard shortcuts to only intercept them when Live is the front-most app. So when you use Logic or Terminal or any other app, that has keyboard-shortcuts clashing with STC’s, they will work now also when STC is running!

Just download v1.1.4 from http://stc.wiffbi.com/ and overwrite your current version of the app "Selected Track Control" (note: the MIDI Remote Script has not changed from the last version, so no need to overwrite it).

I hope you like it!

TheMysteryGuest

Post by TheMysteryGuest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 am

Hi,
Great script - Is there any way it could be modified to control the record/overdub/play button in the looper in live 8? I like to use multiple tracks with a looper on each - I have a 3 button midi footswitch (logidy) and I have one switch that cycles through the tracks and ideally I would like the the 2nd switch to activate the looper's record/overdub/play button for only the currently selected track. At the moment the only way i can do it is map each record button on each track to the same switch which isn't ideal because they all kick in at the same time and the unselected ones record an empty loop, not always at the length I want.

If this could be done it would be AMAZING (or if anyone knows of another way I can do this)

Tim

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 pm

Hey TheMysteryGuest,

hm, the problem is, STC does not currently support any devices – only tracks (and other global controls).
Maybe there is a way to mimic an existing control-surface (e.g. the APC40) that supports device-control in Live. I even assume the APC allows to select tracks, although I have no idea of its MIDI implementation.

So, to give you a starting point: find a controller that basically supports the stuff you want to do (navigating tracks and controlling a device on the selected track). I assume the APC40 might be a good starting point. Then find out, what MIDI data this device is sending when doing its magic, e.g. navigating tracks and controlling a device (you need some MIDI monitoring utility such as "MIDI Monitor" under OS X – sorry, do not know about Windows). Hopefully it always sends the same MIDI data for each selected track to control the device (in your case Looper), because then you simply send that MIDI data with your logidy button. If it doesn’t, then you better look for another control-surface, which you can try to mimic.

Sorry, I have no better/easier answer. I looked into controlling devices with STC, but at the time I did, it was not at all straight forward or at least not really documented (as any of stuff was/is).

sealpt

Post by sealpt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to get this to work when it seems everybody else hasn't had much trouble from what I've read.

I'm running mac version 10.6.7 on my macbook. I'm on Ableton 8 using a korg nano kontroller. I've set up my mac with everything I've downloaded from you and put them in the correct spot. The little "S" is next to the clock on my screen.

I've selected STC Vitual In, and Selected Track Control for the inputs. I've assigned the simplest controller numbers to the nano (note on 12 for metronome for instance) and check their numbers to make sure they are correct, and I don't seem to get any response from Live for some reason.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Shawn

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi sealpt,

if you want to use the korg nano, you need to set the MIDI input port to the korg nano’s port instead of using "STC Vitual In".

Also, if you do not want to use the keyboard shortcuts (in your case for metronome ctrl-k), then you do not need the app "Selected Track Control" (the little "S" next to your clock). This little app only transforms keyboard shortcuts to MIDI messages. As your korg nano already sends MIDI, this litte app isn’t needed.

I hope this helps.

Richard

sealpt

Post by sealpt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Thank you very much Richard,

I'll give this a shot tonight and let you know.

Shawn