Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
JamesBowers

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by JamesBowers » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 am

Ma Man! You are solving all my problems. Next you'll be raising my kids and paying my mortgage. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating.
Please check your email re paypal ;)

James

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:28 am

i haven't tried to fix my issue yet, but i have created a track using selected track control. It makes recording with a guitar in your lap so much easier!

thanks man, hope you enjoy the smooth smooth sound.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3301072/Reflections%20audio.mp3
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:44 am

Hey all, thanks for your great support! I really appreciate it!

@Jekblad: I really enjoyed that – perfect timing: I had a long night working and this morning, sun came out and I heard your track. :)

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:10 am

wahwah i totally forgot this. but hey, im running osx now instead of windows so ill give it a go. after looking at the keyboard shortcut list i already have ideas; warp from here, set 1.1.1 here and warp straight/by X bpm would be great. also; the ability to rebind the shortcuts would rule.

i had a controlaid script that has some stuff in it, including warp from here, set 1.1.1 here and so on and so fourth and even though it was a pretty soddy workaround it was incredibly great for my workflow.

oh, one more; collect all and save. i know you can set those things with applications shortcuts, but still :)

JEpic

Post by JEpic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:46 am

Would it be possible to use a script like this to control the global zoom setting?

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am

@JEpic: if there the global zoom setting would be available in the MIDI Remote Script Python API, then yes. But AFAIK this is currently not available, so no. But I have seen some UI/mouse-scripting somewhere, where opening preferences, clicking on the correct settings tab, etc. was automated. But this is outside the scope of my control script.

@friend_kami: concerning rebinding the shortcuts, that is on my list of features, but as I did not need it, I did not do it. At the moment, I doubt I will have time to implement this anytime soon (sorry, this is a spare-time project), as there is already a way to edit the shortcuts: inside the "Selected Track Control" app, there is a XML-file, in which the keyboard-shortcuts are defined (right click on app and select "Show Package contents"). It is not to cryptic, although the keys are defined via numbers, so you have to find out which key sends which number. I have a list somewhere…

Concerning your controlaid-script features: have you written a MIDI-Remote-Script for these features? Because I have not seen anything like that in the Python API, that would support stuff like this.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Control aid will do a series of strokes, like "right click, down, down, enter" for warp from here etc.

I use those kind of shortcuts with ikey, don't think the python script will allow that, but it'd be awesome as it would prevent the need to establish the proper "focus"
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:34 am

wiffbi wrote:@JEpic: if there the global zoom setting would be available in the MIDI Remote Script Python API, then yes. But AFAIK this is currently not available, so no. But I have seen some UI/mouse-scripting somewhere, where opening preferences, clicking on the correct settings tab, etc. was automated. But this is outside the scope of my control script.

@friend_kami: concerning rebinding the shortcuts, that is on my list of features, but as I did not need it, I did not do it. At the moment, I doubt I will have time to implement this anytime soon (sorry, this is a spare-time project), as there is already a way to edit the shortcuts: inside the "Selected Track Control" app, there is a XML-file, in which the keyboard-shortcuts are defined (right click on app and select "Show Package contents"). It is not to cryptic, although the keys are defined via numbers, so you have to find out which key sends which number. I have a list somewhere…

Concerning your controlaid-script features: have you written a MIDI-Remote-Script for these features? Because I have not seen anything like that in the Python API, that would support stuff like this.
basically what jekblad said, only im moving the mouse to what i need, execute a click, then move it back to where it was (ie: move x 20 and y 120, left click, move x-20 y-120). its not optimal but it will do.

any chance of posting that list for the shortcuts?
ill give it a go after the weekend :D

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am

@friend_kami: I posted a short description on how to change keyboard shortcuts at http://stc.wiffbi.com/customize-keyboard-shortcuts.html It is probably not a super awesome description, but I hope this will get you started.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:13 am

thanks alot mate.
ill go ask google how to find out my keycodes hten, cause im on a swedish layout.
looks like ill have some fun next week what with controlaid, STC and remote scripts. :D

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:42 pm

I used quite an old tool called AsyncKeys! The thing is, this is PPC only (or Rosetta) and the download is compressed with sit (not the most common format on OS X these days). I have an old Powerbook, which I used to get the keycodes.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5409/asynckeys!

Maybe you do not need that program, as the swedish keyboard layout is not very different from the german one (which I used to get the keycodes) – except Y and Z being swapped and the two keys next to the Return-key. Other than that, they are the same! Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_l ... zerland.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Swedish

Do not be confused by the special chars being placed on other keys; special chars are anyways invoked by using modifiers – which you have to specify extra. So e.g. hitting ALT-2 for the @-Symbol on a swedish layout still produces the same keycode as just hitting the key 2.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 pm

oh cool, thanks for the information.
well, i just got home so ill give this a go tonight then ^^.

momo182

Post by momo182 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm

if anyone is still eager to adapt this thing on windows
there is AutoHotkey a great free app that can do midi out (and midi in aswell).
during my windows day i had a small script that did exactly the same thing
except i used MackieControl remote scripts instead of writing my own.
This thread might help you, or just use search *)

digitalrust

Post by digitalrust » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:04 pm

This script is awesome. I've been searching for ages for something like this. Well done.

One feature I would love to see would be in the ability to nudge/move clips in arrangement view by the current grid amount. Is that possible?

Also, I have been trying to get the CCs working with a remote25 but can't seem to figure out how to send the correct format. Any clues on how to change the volume for instance via CC?

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 am

digitalrust wrote:This script is awesome. I've been searching for ages for something like this. Well done.

One feature I would love to see would be in the ability to nudge/move clips in arrangement view by the current grid amount. Is that possible?

Also, I have been trying to get the CCs working with a remote25 but can't seem to figure out how to send the correct format. Any clues on how to change the volume for instance via CC?
@digitalrust: thanks, glad you like it!

Concerning the ability to nudge/move clips in arrangement: I do have a quite dated version of the Python-API (Live 7), so it might be possible, that in Live 8 such a thing is available via the Python API. I will look into it, once I find the time (and a good API-overview of Live 8 ).

Concerning the remote25: the volume in STC is controlled via relative MIDI CCs (rel2comp) – this makes managing volume values way easier (i.e. you do not have to manage/remember any values, as only changes are sent to Live). AFAIK the sliders on the remote25 cannot send rel2comp MIDI CCs (at least from the look of a slider, it would not make sense to send relative CCs, as a slider always has an absolute position). It is not impossible to change that behaviour for e.g. volume to absolute MIDI CCs, but I have not programmed that feature into STC yet and currently do not have the time to implement that in the near future – sorry. Maybe you find some way to send rel2comp CCs from the remote25…