Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ArtsTheBeatdoctor

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by ArtsTheBeatdoctor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Great script!

I use it at the moment to control the selected track, but from Maschine instead of the keyboard. Very nice funcionality, but like Digitalrust, I would like to control the volume and pan directly with faders/knobs. Sending the right CC from Maschine leads to pretty strange behaviour (jumps to opposite directions of what I'm moving), probably due to the rel2comp CC bindings in the script.

I've been fiddling around to change that behaviour but without any luck so far. If you ever get around to changing that (or are able to send me in the right direction of where I should start), that would be appreciated

pixel

Post by pixel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks a lot for doing all this work!

However, I have a problem when I fire a clip with the alt-enter the clip only loops one bar instead of the whole clip. If I fire it with the mouse it plays back normally.

Also, the playback of the channels can kind of stall/become out of sync with each other.

Too bad, I really like the way it works with all the keyboard shortcuts.

All the best
Pixel
Macbook 1.83 GHz w. 2GB RAM - Fireface 400 - Micromodul LV2x2 - ESI midi mate - Os 10.6.6. - Live 8.2.1

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi there, sorry, I didn't get back to you earlier.

@pixel: I will have a look into this, I don’t know yet, what this is caused by.

@ArtsTheBeatdoctor: I was thinking about an update concerning absolute CC for stuff like volume, pan, etc., but this changes some behaviour in the script (also how the configuration is handled) and needs some bigger changes in the code … so I cannot tell a release date yet, but at least: I am working on it on and off when I have the time.

keppy

Post by keppy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Hey there,

Thanks a lot for the great app!!! I been using it for about 2 weeks now and it has come in very handy.

I like how simple it is, and wanted to know if there was a way i could alter it to use with a midi controller. I use maschine, and would like to have few of these controls mapped to it while in midi mode.

Any suggestions, or help would be much apprecitated.

Thanks,

Jeff

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 pm

@keppy: conncering Maschine, I have to admit, I do not know much about it. There are two ways to make it work with STC though:

A) make Maschine send the correct MIDI notes and CCs as described in the MIDI implementation chart of STC:
http://stc.wiffbi.com/midi-implementation-chart.html
I assume the MIDI messages, hat Maschine sends, can be customized.

or B) Change the MIDI notes and CCs STC reatcs to. Please note though, that you should make a copy of the "Selected_Track_Control"-folder in the Control Surfaces-forlder of Ableton Live to make sure the keyboard shortcuts of STC will still work. Make a copy of the folder "Selected_Track_Control" and name it e.g. "Maschine_STC". Then inside that folder edit the settings.py to match the MIDI notes and CCs, maschine sends. This is a python script, but should be easily editable inside a plain text editor – even TextEdit will suffice.

One problem though, that I found during a short research on Maschine: it does not seem to be able to send relative MIDI CCs – although it seems to have endless encoder as hardware. I do not know if they fixed that, but currently in STC it is not possible to use absolute MIDI CC values – the only MIDI CC supported is relative_two_compliment.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 pm

keppy wrote:I like how simple it is, and wanted to know if there was a way i could alter it to use with a midi controller. I use maschine, and would like to have few of these controls mapped to it while in midi mode.
You could use QuicKeys for which you could even do without this script since you can map midi to any keyboard shortcut or even any menu items for any application. There's also midistroke which is free but is very limited in comparison as all it does is map midi to keyboard shortcuts.

Or you could use Transport emulation as an alternative to this script:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=74364

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 am

Thats exactly what I searched for a long time. If I could use all the shortcuts via my controllers it would be really great.

So far I use the Korg Nanokontrol, Launchpad and APC 40, some stuff from Touch OSC, too.
The structure only seems to make it possible to use relative mode controllers. I don`t think its possible with the APC 40?
OSC to relative seems not to work, too.
Which cheap Controller with rotary knob could work besides the BCR/BCF?

Using apps like Quickkeys could be an option, but it`s not possible to use one knob to assign to volume up/down for example, right?

Just my german english.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:31 pm

@ckluxen: you are right, currently the Python script is only working with relative MIDI cc, so you need a controller with endless encoders. I have a used doepfer pocket dial, which works fine.

But before you go out and buy another controller: I am working on an update, that makes the script more versatile - Support for absolute controller data, etc. I cannot tell a release date yet though ...

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Thanks a lot wiffbi, be sure I`ll send paypal for that version!

keppy

Post by keppy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 am

@ wiffbi and delicioso

i just wanted to thank you guys for your responses and suggestions. i got the commands to work that i wanted.

wiffbi- I'm not very well versed in midi, but i figured out how to get a few things working. for example, i got the select track left/right to work by mapping 2 buttons on maschine to cc 85. the left button has an output or max value of 127, and the right has a max value of 1. it seems to work well.
I tried to do the same thing with volume, but i didn't like how small the increments were, so left it out. I will say, that for my purposes, this comes in very handy. thanks again

Delicioso- i checked out the Transport emulation, that sounds really good. The only thing is, i usually delete all unused midi remote scripts from my system, so i don't have to scroll through a long list of controllers when changing things in my preferences. I looked around online to see if there was anywhere to download it, but found nothing. Next time i download a new version of live i'll definitely look into that.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 am

keppy wrote: I tried to do the same thing with volume, but i didn't like how small the increments were, so left it out. I will say, that for my purposes, this comes in very handy. thanks again.
Hey, you can increase the steps for e.g. controlling volume by sending higher increment values. I.e. to increase volume, instead of sending CC 22 with a constant value of 1, send a constant value of e.g. 5 (or try any other value you like). The same way for decreasing volume, instead of a constant value of 127, send e.g. 123.
Play around with the values – relative-two-complement encoding works like that, that negative values are counted backwards from 127 (as there are no signed/negative values in MIDI they had to somehow "invent" them): so 127 is basically -1, 126 is -2, 125 is -3, etc.

I hope, that helps.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:24 am

keppy wrote:i checked out the Transport emulation, that sounds really good. The only thing is, i usually delete all unused midi remote scripts from my system, so i don't have to scroll through a long list of controllers when changing things in my preferences. I looked around online to see if there was anywhere to download it, but found nothing. Next time i download a new version of live i'll definitely look into that.
Tranzport emulation doesn't involve installing anything. It's already built in to Live. You just choose it from the Control Surface drop down menu in Preferences.

keppy

Post by keppy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm

@wiffbi

I'll look into that, to try and get some better increment sizes. Thanks for the heads up.

@ delicioso

I may have not been clear enough, what i meant, is that it doesn't show up in control surfaces, because i deleted it's midi remote script from ableton all together. So, until i download a new version of ableton, which will make it selectable as a control surface again, or find the script, it's just not there to choose. If you could pm me the script, that would awesome.

Thanks again, guys, for your help with this.

Badger123

Post by Badger123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:42 am

Hi wiffbi

Thanks for your software. I'm using it all the time and have sent you a small donation. Cheers!

I have a function suggestion: A "clear solo" function so that one keystroke could make all solos turn off no matter which track is selected. Would that be possible to program?

I think there is an ableton controller that can do this (novation launchpad?) but not in live itself.

All the best

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Badger123 wrote: I have a function suggestion: A "clear solo" function so that one keystroke could make all solos turn off no matter which track is selected. Would that be possible to program?
That is a really clever idea – and should be easy to implement too! So absolutely yes, I put that on the feature list! I might even add the same for mute - or not the same, but a little different: a kind of "mute flip" so all muted tracks get unmuted and vice-versa.

And thank you very much for your donation!