Control Ableton MIDI Pitch paremeter with comp. keyboard.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
maky355

Control Ableton MIDI Pitch paremeter with comp. keyboard.

Post by maky355 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I know i am doing something stupid but....i can't figure it out.

So let's say i have Ableton MIDI FX called Pitch.

I add it to the track.

It's at 0 on default. Is it possible to map parameter(or knob) so that when i press 4 on my keyboard it goes +4. When i press 2 on keyboard it goes from 4 straight to +2

AFAIK i can only add one key command to one parameter with min max values. But if my memory suit me well i've seen youtube videos where people could do just that. Control and map parameter to specific values - with a keyboard.

Please help :P

pottering

Re: Control Ableton MIDI Pitch paremeter with comp. keyboard.

Post by pottering » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:42 pm

You can assign a range of MIDI keys (not computer keys) to a parameter, by pressing the first key of the range, while holding the first key then press the last key of the range.

You can use Racks with multiple Chains each with a specific Pitch device, or even just assign keys to the on/off of the Pitch devices (like assigning the key "4" to the on/off of a +4 Pitch device).

Also, MIDI notes are not "blocks" of continuous data, like they look in the piano rolls, they are just a "note on" message at a time, then a "note off" later, so the Pitch device only changes the notes played after a change.