All times are UTC

Post subject: Mono mixing/mastering
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm 

Hi folks, first post here.

I just finished the first track that I'd like to publish, and I'm trying to mix and master it myself. I'd like to pan out my vocals and delay them on one side to create a wide stereo effect, but it causes major phasing issues in mono. Same goes for this Serum stereo synth with detuning on it. I'm messing around with an M/S EQ on the master chain which definitely helps in some aspects of the track, but not these two elements. I've also tried phase correction, but to no avail. I suppose I could sacrifice the wide vocals and go center if I can figure out how to fix the synth. Had a hard time finding any solutions on the web, so any suggestions are appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: Mono mixing/mastering
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:14 pm 

Layer a mono version of the vocals in the center of the imaging so you get the best of both worlds? People putting the main elements of thier songs super wide like that is by far one of the most common issues I have to deal with when mastering other people's tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 pm 

Hey Erik, thanks for the advice! How would that work in practice, for the panned vocals to pop out in stereo and not in mono?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 pm 

I am also still wondering how to mix my synthesizer, but maybe this trick would work for that as well?