All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Mastering in the box in Ableton Live
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:25 pm 

This last week I searched the internet desperately for a real review of " Mastering in the box With Ableton Live" by Zeitgeist Mastering.

Having found none, I decided to take a chance on the "self-serving reviews" I found online--those done by folks who have an interest in promoting the product, i.e. advertising.

Went through almost all of the video series over the long Labor Day weekend. Bottom Line: I give it 4.75 stars out of 5. Excellent Series.

My alibis: New to Ableton, and my interest is in making high quality backing tracks for my one-man act, in which I play guitar and sing. My backing tracks are basically bass guitar, drums and other percussion, keys, and occasionally something more exotic like maybe some sub-bass, or a glockenspiel. So I'm not a EDM guy, but I have found that the EDM community seems to know the most about these DAWs and interfaces, so I tend to try to learn the EDM techniques, even though it's not my kind of music at all.

Series is in English. Nick takes you through the series assuming you know how to record and mixdown, and how to operate Ableton, although he does explain a lot about what he is doing in Ableton as he does it. I had to occasionally stop the video and look up a few things here and there. The cool thing is that the entire mastering chain he demonstrates is either directly in Ableton (Suite) or can be built with Ableton (Suite) or Max for Live (RMS Meter). On the video, he demonstrates them, and then builds them from scratch. I built two of them while watching the video, the rest I just downloaded in the "Extras" he provided. There are no other third-party plug-ins required, though he does mention a few in passing.

My opinion: The racks he gives you as part of the series are probably worth the price alone, especially the Aphex Exciter Emulation. His instruction style is terrific. This course is really designed for someone who has never done mastering before, but wants a "do it yourself" guide. After going through it, I see why people pay to have mastering done--it really is an art, and requires LOTS of experience to be good at it. But I have to say my tracks sound MUCH better than they did before, when I just did the "mix to -3 dB and then slap on a compressor and limiter" method.

So why not 5 stars? Occasionally when I was watching a video, there would be a "Network Error" which caused me to restart the video. Also, on his video format I did not see a running clock, so I was forced to guess where I left off. This happened about 4-5 times--really wasn't a big deal at all. I may have not had the video set up properly--can't believe there would be no running time???

So the content of the course is definitely 5/5, definitely worth the money.

Line 6 L3T Digital Powered Speakers (2)
Line 6 L2T Digital Powered Speaker (Monitor)

"I play BOTH types of music; Rhythm AND Blues."

Post subject: Re: Mastering in the box in Ableton Live
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 pm 

Hey, thanks for the review, I was exactly at same point as you before buying and you've convinced me to try it ;)

But then I found this reduced version (1), which says is part of the larger tutorial, but it's not clear to me if it's just like a summary of the bigger one or just a compilation of tips, but not really an slice of the other. Any idea?

(1) https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -Mastering

Thanks!