WTF: Alesis IO26 MIDI ports lighting Micron LEDS

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silverfish

WTF: Alesis IO26 MIDI ports lighting Micron LEDS

Post by Silverfish » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:01 am

Erm, someone care to explain just what evil is happening with my gear at the moment?

My Alesis IO26 is connected to my Alesis Micron via two MIDI cables; one in, one out. I noticed tonight that the five LEDS left of the LCD are lighting up from the MIDI cables, even when the unit is off, even when the unit is unplugged.

Is my gear possessed? Bad MIDI cables? Bad Micron? WTF.

Thanks. :D

kingfong

Re: WTF: Alesis IO26 MIDI ports lighting Micron LEDS

Post by kingfong » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:51 am

Same thing here, Silverfish. I've had the Micron for over 6 years and just noticed this behavior this week. Doesn't seem to be a big deal since the unit works fine - just very strange and not very logical at all. Goes away when I unplug the midi out port.

Cheers,
8)
Intel based Win 7 PC, Thinkpad x220 laptop, Live 8, Reason & Record, E-MU 1820m, Roland TD-20, Micron, MS2000R, DX-7, guitars, basses, tons of plugs...I need more time in the day!

concept_control

Re: WTF: Alesis IO26 MIDI ports lighting Micron LEDS

Post by concept_control » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 am

MIDI can pass 5v between things - hence the 5 pins when MIDI data itself only uses 2. Maybe the designers of the Ion that didn't take that into account (or did, maybe the Ion can still be used as a thru when off or something) when designing the circuit board.