Virtual PC for windows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musicmachine

Virtual PC for windows 7

Post by musicmachine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:06 am

Just came across this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx

Anyone tried this? I can't as my processor doesn't support virtualisation. Windows 7 is shaping up nicely. 8)
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

existe

Re: Virtual PC for windows 7

Post by existe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 am

I have loaded it up and played with, pretty slick actually. Any program you install on the XP Virtual gets a link auto published to the Windows 7 environment. When you launch it from windows 7 it starts the app as if it is intergrated with windows 7. If you have seen the unity feature with the mac version of VMware it is very similar. You dont have to start the VM to launch the apps, it is running in the background so it is more semless. It is not 100% though as a .NET app would not publish from the VPC to Windows 7 for example.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:54 am

Excellent. I was reading that XPV ran with generic drivers so i take it you couldn't run live and install audio drivers etc? I wanted to see if i could run Live 8 before doing anything radical. Anyway i'm going back to XP. Would have been nice to try out VPC in windows 7 though.
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 am

musicmachine wrote:Excellent. I was reading that XPV ran with generic drivers so i take it you couldn't run live and install audio drivers etc? I wanted to see if i could run Live 8 before doing anything radical. Anyway i'm going back to XP. Would have been nice to try out VPC in windows 7 though.

You cant properly run anything that requires extensive real time processing in a virtual environment. so DAW software, games and video editing are no good for virtualisation, no matter how good the drivers were.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

existe

Post by existe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:47 am

I loaded up some Line6 drivers in the VPC and also loaded FL Studio just to see how it would all run. Was not too bad and it did work but I would never want to run something realtime like that.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:12 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
musicmachine wrote:Excellent. I was reading that XPV ran with generic drivers so i take it you couldn't run live and install audio drivers etc? I wanted to see if i could run Live 8 before doing anything radical. Anyway i'm going back to XP. Would have been nice to try out VPC in windows 7 though.

You cant properly run anything that requires extensive real time processing in a virtual environment. so DAW software, games and video editing are no good for virtualisation, no matter how good the drivers were.
Ok no matter then. I'm back on XP now anyway. Btw had to reset my username with Abletons new account merge thing so it's musikmachine now.

It's kinda refreshing using XP again. After trying vista and 7 i'm going to stick with it for audio. Also XP is much faster than 7. Reboots in under 30 seconds, programs install lightning fast and Live opens much more quickly. It's not nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be. :)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:22 am

existe wrote:I loaded up some Line6 drivers in the VPC and also loaded FL Studio just to see how it would all run. Was not too bad and it did work but I would never want to run something realtime like that.
Yeah it wouldn't be very efficient for audio. I just wanted to try Live with my soundcard drivers and a couple of plugins in VXP to see if the problems i was having were plugins or OS related. In the end live was becoming unusable with each new beta version so i just said screw it, enough beta testing! :lol: