digital music distribution options

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sven303

Re: digital music distribution options

Post by sven303 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:29 am

Leedsquietman had yet another good point...music sales are dismal now!

I do some work with a re-launched label that 10 years ago was one of the leading vinyl dance labels. In the last year time was spent getting digital distribution set up and organised through the top online sites.
Just getting the tracks available to buy somewhere is not enough, you need to spend a lot of time marketing the track...getting it to reviewers, dj's, radio stations to try and generate some awareness to then get people looking for the track at a download store.
BUT this marketing takes a lot of time & effort and is know where near recouped in the track sales.

When you look at these digital stores this is pretty evident in the amount of releases everyday....labels seem to be putting out anything to get a few sales then move to the next track. Most of the tracks would never have even seen the light of day 10 years ago....im convinced the whole scene is spiralling in to oblivion and it cant be stopped.
Back in the day there was a certain amount of quality control by the labels themselves, who would only press vinyl or cd's if they knew the track would generate enough sales.....where is that quality control now with mp3's?

Getting back on track for the original point of the thread....pick one or a couple of stores and spend your time networking dj's and media to raise the awareness.

Ukruss:
Yep ban you all :P

chinney4321

Post by chinney4321 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 am

Hi man
If you want your tracks on beatport go here www.Feiyr.com they do all the download sites.
Make sure to get your track mastered before though

creature

Post by creature » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm

yeah dotn bother if you dont think you can make back the fee each year, but if you can then defo worth it. They are better than cdbaby as they pay 100$ of the royalty amount back to you where as cdbaby take a cut.

Metaphreaq

Post by Metaphreaq » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 pm

You can setup wordpress with this plugin and run your own shop:

http://tomuse.com/wordpress/wp-secure-downloads/

jsg4z

Post by jsg4z » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:15 pm

creature wrote:
shuutobi wrote:bandcamp.com
+1 on this. I also use them for selling albums from my site. it has been quite successful adn means I dont have to host the albums on my own hosting server :-)
thnx. i took a look and they seem to have a great idea but maybe are new to the business? would you say your "quite successful" experience was because of your own marketing? or are they doing marketing as well? ie. how do people know to go to bandcamp to get tracks?