DJ with Turntables or Controllers for gigs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dredd i knight

Re: DJ with Turntables or Controllers for gigs?

Post by dredd i knight » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Schuft wrote:hi, regarding the apc one main thing i miss is the possibility of proper and userfriendly EQing. as the vcm-600 was mentioned i thought i take a picture of my setup i'm really getting happy with i think.
the one main thing i miss with my vcm/monome setup are endless encoders with lcd status ring. therefor i tink i'll get the novation nocturne.
i also thought of maybe getting a lemur but while playing with my friends lemur i recognized in first place i need some real controllers to touch, real potis, faders, buttons and what not. (if someone writes a good software maybe i'm getting a big screen all-in-one pc with Win7 multitouch instead. we'll see what max4live and the future will bring.)

i came a long way from playing and performing with vinyl so i don't want to miss the feel and possibilities with vinyl as well. in live performances i mostly use vinyl to 'stream scratch' in some samples in sync to the beat. makes fun and feels old school mixed up with modern possibilties.

here's a picture of my (still evolving) live set:

dude that setup is lovely!
lookin backwards and lookin forwards.
if i coulda hada picture of what i was talkin about your setup wpuld have been it!
nice :wink:

cenik11

Post by cenik11 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

Wait:

With the APC40, one cannot do EQing on a per channel basis? For instance, if I want to use channel 1 as a kick pattern and add in some elements of another track on channel 2 I cannot use the APC to control an EQ plug-in on channel 2 to cut its low-end? That seems like it'd be a huge issue for me; how else can you play multiple tunes at once if u can't control the EQ on individual channels?

More generally, is the point that the APC40 cannot control plug-ins on individual channels?

I guess one approach would be to use the EQs on the DJ mixer--up to four channels, right? I own a NI Audio4DJ interface; the product description says the interface has four outputs but as I picture the unit at the moment I remember seeing two sets of two stereo outputs (L/R & L/R)--would I be able to somehow run 4 channels into the mixer? I ask b/c I want to use 4 channels in Live for my gigs.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:12 am

cenik11 wrote:More generally, is the point that the APC40 cannot control plug-ins on individual channels?
yeah, course it can, it's just not locked to them, which is good in some situations, however for some things, like EQ and FX on the master, you *really* want to have dedicated hardware controls, so you can drop the bass on one track while you fire another ! :D
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Schuft

Post by Schuft » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

dredd i knight wrote:if i coulda hada picture of what i was talkin about your setup wpuld have been it!
nice :wink:
hey dredd i knight,
thanks. i do like the apc as well from what i heard and saw so far. i even had my hands on one. feels good touching, good build quality. but for me personally the vcm-600 in combination with monome(s) was the way to go.
and yes, if you once were into scratching you won't miss it anymore. i could almost imagine to give up on vinyl in regards of mixing tracks the traditional way (even if it's more fun operating with TTs sometimes) but _not_ in regards of scratching .. or more generally said: in regards of manipulating stuff by touching vinyl. ... hey, right now PlaPla Pinky comes into my mind. do you know them ? -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCWc5suyZ0 some awesome stuff they do.

peace
SubFunk wrote:we are all to spoiled. drifting into technical wanking rather then developing skills with what we got.