Can Anybody/ Ableton confirm Jaguar compatibility?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SongCarver

Can Anybody/ Ableton confirm Jaguar compatibility?

Post by SongCarver » Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:46 pm

Hi there Livesters,

Can ableton (or anyone else) confirm that LIVE works fine on Jagwire?

OS X 10.2

Cheers,

-Keith

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:16 pm

Yes, it does. But drivers for multiple audio outs don't seem to exist yet.

the kooky scientist

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:07 am

Thanks kooky scientist!

Geoscience

Post by Geoscience » Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:34 am

Yes indeed it does. I noticed a big jump in processor consumption though. It seems to have jumped by 10% or so.

Neil

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:38 am

i think if live is Coco -ized(program made exclusively for osx) instead of carbonized(program made to lay on top of osx and able to run on classic), it would solve this problem...

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:51 pm

Geoscience wrote:Yes indeed it does. I noticed a big jump in processor consumption though. It seems to have jumped by 10% or so.
OH great! i guess that means i'll be at 25 percent before i even press PLAY. right now my CPU is at 15% before i even load any clips. I can't believe the performance will actually get WORSE. Why can't we just get some Cocoa ane AltiVec? If you are going to program for Mac why not do it right? This half-assed porting thing has got to go.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:55 am

What?!

loose 10% power??
I thought it would gain 10% proc. effeciency.

Ableton, is there an official comment on this situation?

I know that obviously your team works hard to provide OS 9 and X support, abd obviously keep the app 'carbon' for that reason. I'm not even too certain that even the carbon vs cocoa makes a huge perf. difference.

However, As an OS X user I feel that the majority of musicians will be moving over as soon as Logic is available, and then Cubase.

The stability is so valuable to me that I do almost anything to avoid booting into OS 9.

And latency is sooo much better.

MY POINT:

Please strongly consider focussing efforts on the OS X version, and also Altivec. I'm sure that Apple, in their music-focussed approach would be HAPPY to provide support of some kind. Your app is very cool, and offers no competition to Logic's traditional markets - MIDI and high end audio - Apple should be happy to cooperate.

Thankyou for being one of the first to offer a great OS X audio program!