Are digital EQs basically the same?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
krank

Are digital EQs basically the same?

Post by krank » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:14 pm

On windows I ilke to use Nebula (advanced convolution kinda thing, recommended but it can be a hassle) as much as I can, and Live's EQ8 for bread and butter (meaning most things as my lappie can't pull that much CPU). Back on OSX I only have EQ8 and the new T-Racks 3 program EQ. Which is nice and all, and I don't really feel the need for other stuff. I'm just wondering about digital (plug-in) EQ in general - I know for a fact that people get fooled by GUIs and hype. Then when real analytical testing comes around, there's really *very little* difference between digital EQs using the same filter types and settings. So the real difference is in stuff like default curve shapes and maybe oversampling. Correct? Hey, let me know your thoughts about digital EQ.

timothyallan

Re: Are digital EQs basically the same?

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:23 pm

There are a few doozeys worth of threads on KVR about just this. Especially with peeps like URS charging huge dollars for an digital EQ which, as far as these threadstarters were concerned, only had subtle differences in curves to free digi EQ's.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:31 pm

somebody posted a thread on here as well about this.
if I recall correctly this is true for a certain type of EQ as they all use the same DSP formula.
the ones that sound different, like those supposed 'vintage' EQ's use distortion and such to change the character of the sound, so the magic happens in a different part of the code, not in the EQ part.

edit: here's the thread discussing it.

krank

Post by krank » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Thank you both.