IDM: Not Intelligent, Can't Dance To It, Arguably Not Music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

IDM: Not Intelligent, Can't Dance To It, Arguably Not Music

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:42 pm

discuss.

leedsquietman

Re: IDM: Not Intelligent, Can't Dance To It, Arguably Not Music

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 pm

SOME IDM is like this. It's very hard to define what IDM is and some artists who do describe themselves as such are in fact, not.

If you want to dance stick to trance or prog house, stuff which is limited in sound and style and isn't really designed for audiophile listening. Brainless stuff that you can turn your mind off and just let loose to. DISCUSS :P
Last edited by leedsquietman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 pm

'Nuff said!

Next...
Nothing to see here - move along!

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:50 pm

old and dead discussion..
read up on where the name came from and you'll understand..

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:55 pm

QUite a few artists pigeon-holed under this genre, dispute this and don't like the term

Kid 606 has said,

I hate IDM and its elitist champions. It makes the music sound so much more than it actually is. It's a label invented by PR companies who need catchphrases. I like sounds, but hate what people attach to sounds.[24]

Chris Jeffs (Cylob) said, "Also, anyone who applies the term IDM to my music deserves to be shot."[25]

Thaddeus Hermann of City Centre Offices has said:

Nowadays, I do not like the sound of the term. Whenever someone mentions it, or uses it to describe their own music, I immediately become skeptical, expecting weak and boring tracks.” [21]
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:58 pm

BTW, no such thing as a dead discussion here. We flog the dead horse, and flog it and flog it some more until it's bones turn into glue.

examples - best monitors, best audio interface, apc vs xyz controller, best reverb, morality of piracy/cracks, etc

these topics are happily discussed at length 2 dozen times per year. And don't expect it to change ...

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:01 pm

leedsquietman wrote:If you want to dance stick to trance or prog house, stuff which is limited in sound and style and isn't really designed for audiophile listening. Brainless stuff that you can turn your mind off and just let loose to. DISCUSS :P
Most rediculous thing ive heard you say yet :roll:

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Last edited by Poster on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:06 pm

I don't know. It never ceases to amaze me the kinds of music white people will attempt to dance to and feel they're suceeding. I also don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but it certainly isn't helping our dance skills reputation.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:06 pm

poster wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:BTW, no such thing as a dead discussion here.
lets just say I'm surprised that even Neb tried to kickstart this dead horse..
he better stick to the FFF.. :P

creature

Post by creature » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:17 pm

IDM? Its just another pointless tag to try and fit music into. Weird bleepy glitchy, wonky music I like a lot. IDM, aint got a fucking clue what that means. Maybe it is music written by people with phd's ;-) lol

Steve

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:20 pm

what is it 1995 in here??

i wish IDM was relevant. the worst track on artificial intelligence 1 and 2 is still better than 80% of anything new on beatport.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Ahh, thank you Neb!

Seriously, WTF is IDM?? Intelligent, more so than what?

I laugh every time I see it, even though there is one artist that I know of, which I do respect, but still can't help but laugh when he lists his songs under that genre. I don't see it, but oh well.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:34 pm

why would it only be music if it was danceable? then the term "dance" music would be redundant. the idea of genre's being taken seriously by both musicians and listeners can be pretty silly. As far as I remember IDM was a joke genre in reference to some "journalist" who wrote about Richard D James and Squarepusher ruining electronic music by making it not repetitive and not danceable. Then the joke sort of got flipped on itself it would seem.
second class robot

ark

Post by ark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Why is it that there is such a negative reaction to words relating to intelligence? I thought being intelligent was a good thing.

Once upoin a time, I wanted to write a book called "C++ for Bright Beginners" but my publisher talked me into a different title on the basis that too many readers would be put off by the notion of a book that assumes some intelligence on the part of its readers.