Nathan Fake's Producer Masterclass Video in CM

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
st1040

Re: Nathan Fake's Producer Masterclass Video in CM

Post by st1040 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Fuck me, I must hav lost touch with the "electronic music scene" If this is the sort of stuff that's selling!
That bassline is something I would have made the first few weeks of getting my music equipment together
and trying to suss stuff out ( i.e shit and binned way back), I thought It was a spoof at first. Chap said he had it
hanging around for a year before he did something with it I'd be interested in hearing the shit he didn't use.

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Strikes me that his focus is on composing creating music and uses whatever he has at hand as opposed to obsessing about having the latest shiny piece of kit or software version.

i.e he's retained a sense of proportion.

I could use a bit more of that myself...

Reminds me of an studio interview with Norman "Fat Boy Slim" Cook soon after releasing his huge hits in which he shared his main rig consisted of an Atari ST1040 triggering a pair of ancient Akai samplers (S950 and S1000) and a couple of Technics decks.

cheers,
bagginz

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:31 pm

i find faky to be a weee bit experimental for me. prefer the james holden side of fake.

he is drinking a can of irn-bru in the youtube part 2 clip.

for anyone who doesnt know. Its made from GIRDERS!
Last edited by the_antagonist on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 pm

i liked how at the start he is. "hi im nathan fake and this is my studio" then he gave himself a thumbs up.

8)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 pm

st1040 wrote:Fuck me, I must hav lost touch with the "electronic music scene" If this is the sort of stuff that's selling!
That bassline is something I would have made the first few weeks of getting my music equipment together
and trying to suss stuff out ( i.e shit and binned way back), I thought It was a spoof at first. Chap said he had it
hanging around for a year before he did something with it I'd be interested in hearing the shit he didn't use.
listen to his music, you can't expect someone giving you a tour of their studio to blow your mind with music. There is no such things as basslines that are too simple, it's the song that counts and if you haven't listened to the song then you don't know.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:45 pm

UKRuss wrote:Take it from me, he's a London hipster. Pretention is a prerequisite.

Still like his chowns a plenty. Outhouse is a classic.
Rob Theakston, All Music Guide wrote:Reading's Nathan Fake began his career in the farm country of Norfolk in the U.K., where he learned how to play basic acoustic instruments before finding a love of the electronic genres. Fake moved to Reading at the age of 19, which gained his recordings significantly more exposure, and his demos found their way to producer/remixer/DJ James Holden
Anyway, Nathan Fake's stuff is ace, great tutorial video too, less is more.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:06 pm

As I seem to have upset a number of Fake fans, i retract my statement about pretention and now find him to be a pleasant, genuine and well adjusted young man.

st1040

Post by st1040 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
st1040 wrote:Fuck me, I must hav lost touch with the "electronic music scene" If this is the sort of stuff that's selling!
listen to his music, you can't expect someone giving you a tour of their studio to blow your mind with music. There is no such things as basslines that are too simple, it's the song that counts and if you haven't listened to the song then you don't know.

You seem to be incapable of reading and listening.I did listen to the track it's obviously played throughout the 10 minute video (and in the intro) and yes I do expect people that are probably been paid and given exposure on a well known music mag to blow my mind, what's wrong with that? Just because you have low expectations of music don't assume everybody else does. Did i say the bassline was too simple, no! some of the best basslines ever written have only 4 notes, again your reading what you want to see. I said the bassline was shit and the tracks shit as well. I can honestly say if this is what your watching (which is billed as a "Masterclass" tutorial) to get inspired you probably best hanging your midi leads up and flogging Live. Before you ask "why did I watch the video", answer- disbelief, though It was a spoof, too much time on my hands.

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm

UKRuss wrote:As I seem to have upset a number of Fake fans, i retract my statement about pretention and now find him to be a pleasant, genuine and well adjusted young man.
Not sure if you mean me here, I'm certainly not upset, just pointing out that he's, you know, not from London.

BTW, Nathan speaks highly of you too.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm

I am actually Nathan Fake, hence why I posted the link.

st1040, what are 'midi leads'?

You use all these technical terms man, just talk sense!

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:40 pm

st1040 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:

You seem to be incapable of reading and listening.I did listen to the track it's obviously played throughout the 10 minute video (and in the intro) and yes I do expect people that are probably been paid and given exposure on a well known music mag to blow my mind, what's wrong with that? Just because you have low expectations of music don't assume everybody else does. Did i say the bassline was too simple, no! some of the best basslines ever written have only 4 notes, again your reading what you want to see. I said the bassline was shit and the tracks shit as well. I can honestly say if this is what your watching (which is billed as a "Masterclass" tutorial) to get inspired you probably best hanging your midi leads up and flogging Live. Before you ask "why did I watch the video", answer- disbelief, though It was a spoof, too much time on my hands.
+1, I thought "this is quite mediocre and I had sorted this out" when I heard the music. But I don't know much of that style, so my opinion might not weigh much.

loquat

Post by loquat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:46 pm

It's refreshing to see a guy who doesn't seem to be suffering from the usual gear lust. If only had a better preamp my mix would be perfect :lol: I suffer from it myself sometimes. It's nice to keep things in perspective.

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:10 pm

thanks for posting

i allways enjoy the producer masterclass vids :)

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm

i found it a bit boring but i like some of his stuff and seeing his setup was a reminder to me that you don't need the latest of everything in order to create a good tune
i've gone back to the "learn how to use what you have before buying more crap" mode

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:01 pm

silveriofunk wrote:i found it a bit boring but i like some of his stuff and seeing his setup was a reminder to me that you don't need the latest of everything in order to create a good tune
i've gone back to the "learn how to use what you have before buying more crap" mode
yo!

i found the video refreshing, not because of the music, that is a matter of taste and rather pointless to argue about... but i like the attitude and i liked that you can feel that he has a giggle, being somehow conscious with what gear he has dozens and dozens of tunes and remixes out and the viewers usually expect a big show off with mega studio bollocks... great.
*** Image GAFM ***