Anyone like the band Tool???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sunaivod

Re: Anyone like the band Tool???

Post by sunaivod » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:07 pm

I like deftones more ;P But I dig Tool too

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:23 pm

stringtapper wrote:
leonard wrote:
logic_user99 wrote: serious music, boys and girls.
awwwww.....
why so serious?
My father... was a drinker.... and a fiend.
Ok, don't remember posting that. 8O
Unsound Designer

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:28 pm

over-pretentious, glam rock contrived by a bunch of, errr... tools.
i hate their fucking attitude, and i give a fuck less about their 'hidden messages' and all that bollocks.

but i do like the music. however, i refuse to buy any of it, anymore. you have to buy the cd because of the artwork blah blah blah. pffft. they got enough money, have since aenima (or however the fuck you spell it). if they want to rag on people making music to make money, their shit should be free. wankers :roll:

:lol:

awesome live show, btw.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:03 pm

dcease wrote:over-pretentious, glam rock contrived by a bunch of, errr... tools.
i hate their fucking attitude, and i give a fuck less about their 'hidden messages' and all that bollocks.

but i do like the music. however, i refuse to buy any of it, anymore. you have to buy the cd because of the artwork blah blah blah. pffft. they got enough money, have since aenima (or however the fuck you spell it). if they want to rag on people making music to make money, their shit should be free. wankers :roll:

awesome live show, btw.
It's easy to take things Maynard says a little too seriously. They have fun saying things in public that will contradict things they've said before. It's just them fucking with the whole information flow coming from the "celebrity" concept. I seriously doubt any of them really have a problem with people making money with their music. Isn't that what "Hooker With A Penis" is all about?
Unsound Designer

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:06 pm

stringtapper wrote:
dcease wrote:over-pretentious, glam rock contrived by a bunch of, errr... tools.

awesome live show, btw.
It's easy to take things Maynard says a little too seriously. They have fun saying things in public that will contradict things they've said before. It's just them fucking with the whole information flow coming from the "celebrity" concept. I seriously doubt any of them really have a problem with people making money with their music. Isn't that what "Hooker With A Penis" is all about?
actually, it was something i read with adam jones, agreed with not taking maynard too seriously...

or my post :wink: :lol:

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 pm

i haven't heard much tool. the name seriously puts me off. the penile comparisons aside, i personally think it is a rubbish band name.

i used to have this job driving round london delivering av stuff in a van and once one of my van mates who i was driving round with put on a tape and said 'this is tool'. he made me listen to what to me sounded like some shouty guitar nonsense with vocals going something like 'dont you fucking lie!' for a while and i just started laughing at it. we had a bit of an argument and then he took it off. i hold my hands up if i've got it wrong and i have mistaken that rubbish for another band but if that was tool then they're not for me

give me merzbow, the buttholes or nomeansno anyday. :D

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:48 pm

tool and korn are my all time least fav bands.next to dave mathews

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:57 pm

:roll: lame.

how can you possibly compare Tool to Korn? christ, ever hear the bands? you sound like my mom saying shit like that.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Harris.Andrew

Post by Harris.Andrew » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Tone Deft wrote::roll: lame.

how can you possibly compare Tool to Korn? christ, ever hear the bands? you sound like my mom saying shit like that.
When I was in high school Tool vs. Korn was maybe a little like Crips and Bloods, but I would like to point out that us Tool fans actually showered regularly.

Tool is one of a very few rock bands I like the same way I like Pink Floyd, which is pretty huge IMO, especially post-MTV.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 pm

In the mid-90s I saw a Tool show and a Korn show at the same venue within a couple of months of each other. The differences between the fans couldn't have been more stark.

Some of the Korn fans risked being injured while rushing the floor and over-capacitating it.

Some of the Tool fans risked getting a contact high.

Although I have to say I was very disappointed around '98 when The Melvins opened up for Tool and bunch of kids started booing them and someone even threw an empty water bottle at the drummer. They stopped early. Maynard was pissed when they came out and he let everybody know about it.
Unsound Designer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Harris.Andrew - :lol:

Henry Rollins on Korn (sic) "yeah, if I was 17 I would totally be into Korn. it's a high energy band where you have the setup and the guy raps and the breakdown and everyone goes nuts." something like that. it's basically the same songs over and over. but at a certain age, fuck yeah, that's what you want.

Tool just has a lot more depth to their music and lyrics. on the surface they might sound like Korn (to your mom) but pick any song and really get into it, appreciate the time signature changes, the dynamics of Justin Chancellor's bass and how it interplays with the searing lines of Adam Jones' guitar and the legend that is Danny Carey. not to mention Maynard's vocals, one of the best ever.

Korn can be fun, I prefer testosterone laiden music over some chick singing over four on the floor ANY DAY, dunno if I'd buy an album of theirs but to compare the two... loss of music cred, this is a music forum FFS.

stringtapper - :lol: for real. kids dissing the Melvins? 'forgive them father for they know not where they come from.'
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 am

tool are one of my favorite bands i don't like them, i love them!

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Most extreme kit thats actually functional I have ever seen. He uses everything live without missing a beat. I would be overwhelmed by all the cymbals, my head would explode if I tried to play it. I saw them 3 times in a row when they came to Florida, the drummer had recently been attacked by a sea urchin, and I noticed between songs he was in pain and had a large gash on his hand. He still never missed a beat or dropped a stick.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:51 pm

funknotik wrote:Image

Most extreme kit thats actually functional I have ever seen. He uses everything live without missing a beat. I would be overwhelmed by all the cymbals, my head would explode if I tried to play it. I saw them 3 times in a row when they came to Florida, the drummer had recently been attacked by a sea urchin, and I noticed between songs he was in pain and had a large gash on his hand. He still never missed a beat or dropped a stick.
Danny is probably my all time favorite drummer his beats are so instrumental almost melodic.

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Their videos are pretty good. I like that they are pretty realistic about themselves, read an article where they were playing with King Crimson and some interviewer equated the complexity and depth of two bands and Maynard laughed it off. For that sort of dark aggro post punk stuff I thought there was much better material in the early nineties (Barkmarket) but who can account for the tastes of the public and "success".