stand for apc, so the crowd can see?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sburke1

stand for apc, so the crowd can see?

Post by sburke1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 pm

That rhymed. Anyways, i want people to see these fricking cool buttons that I am pressing on stage. Whats the best way to mount this thing , slightly pointed down and towards the crowd, so they can see this monomulation and and button press-ation in action jackson?
Macbook Pro 15'' 2.6 ghz 4GB ram, zero sl, kaos pad, microkorg, roctron banshee, rhodes, clav, motif, fc300

www.myspace.com/samburkecambridge
www.youtube.com/samburkevideo

adventurepants_

Re: stand for apc, so the crowd can see?

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:21 pm

sburke1 wrote:That rhymed. Anyways, i want people to see these fricking cool buttons that I am pressing on stage. Whats the best way to mount this thing , slightly pointed down and towards the crowd, so they can see this monomulation and and button press-ation in action jackson?
The only people that care are you and male chin strokers who want to talk to you about your flashing buttons. Is that what you really want? If you really want it, then webcam it and project it. No one will be able to make any detail out from more than about 3 feet away anyway.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:01 am

sburke1 wrote:That rhymed. Anyways, i want people to see these fricking cool buttons that I am pressing on stage. Whats the best way to mount this thing , slightly pointed down and towards the crowd, so they can see this monomulation and and button press-ation in action jackson?

I have been thinking about this too. The projector is the best idea but that;s $$$$$$. Daedelus wraps up a shirt or a towel to prop up his monome. Seems to work for him. Either that are one of those MPC stands with wheels.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:29 am

I watched an interview with daedelous (spelling?) once, he leans his monome toward the crowd so they can see it. He said he often uses whatever is laying around to put under one side of it, in one case he used his sweater.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:10 am

ive heard it all now. why not just get one of those LED message strips and have it loop "im doing something really cool - honest"

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 am

If you've ever seen a Pretty Lights show (youtube) he puts his monome on a small laptop stand and faces it out towards the crowd.. You can see it from 50 feet away or more I'm sure.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:08 am

its a club - they spend money on lights and shit. if i want some lights to show off to the crowd. i certainly wouldnt be buying a hand built $1000 midi controller for the job.

i must just be old school - or missing something.

is this the new "using the 1210 as a laptop stand" thing or what.

come to think of it i really struggle seeing the keyboard on my black macbook [strokes chin]. so if i buy the new macbook book with the bright screen... and point that at my old macbook... i will be able to see - no problem. genius.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 am

I think it's for people that aren't familiar with MIDI controllers. when I first saw a Monome I thought it was something from space. So he's just trying to show people how he's controlling the music, for some people that's breakthrough shit..

The DJ lights at a club don't show you how you're controlling the music, the APC lights will I think it's a good idea.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:59 am

if they want to see what you're doing they can see it on a table can't they? only the geeky bastards are looking anyway and they will find a way to see.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:05 am

I think you're looking for something in the likes of this (document holder):

I'm currently setting up a live-set with a lot of follow actions, making it act a bit more like a stepsequencer, which makes the APC light up constantly.
It looks pretty impressive (to my friends who haven't seen anything like this before :wink: )!
So I've been thinking about something similar as well!
Use one of those usb-led wires, put the backlight of your macbook to bright, and you've got your own lightshow!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:13 am

UnCL0NED wrote: I'm currently setting up a live-set with a lot of follow actions, making it act a bit more like a stepsequencer, which makes the APC light up constantly.
It looks pretty impressive (to my friends who haven't seen anything like this before :wink: )!
So I've been thinking about something similar as well!
Use one of those usb-led wires, put the backlight of your macbook to bright, and you've got your own lightshow!
That's what I'm talking about. People are just hating on things looking cool, that's only for geeky bastards, apparently.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:37 am

this is what i have although I have the maschine on top, the apc fits on it.. fully adjustable bars for secure fit, rotates 360 degrees and tilts how ever you want with the bars securing it without fear of falling.. my question is, with the apc towards the crowd, how are you going to control it? with your back facing the crowd or reaching over the top and trying to control upside down... i don't think anyone one is really gonna care honestly.. the best thing is let what you play speak for itself and if they are really interested, they will come up and check you out..

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... me=LPH-003

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:26 pm

nuxnamon wrote:my question is, with the apc towards the crowd, how are you going to control it? with your back facing the crowd or reaching over the top and trying to control upside down... i don't think anyone one is really gonna care honestly.. the best thing is let what you play speak for itself and if they are really interested, they will come up and check you out..
Just like this:

View of crowd for perspective:

I know some around here dont really see the importance of this kind of thing but I think you would be suprised how many people eat this up. Even if they dont understand exactly whats going on it gives visual feedback similar to watching someone play an instrument. ;)

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:40 pm

nuxnamon wrote:this is what i have although I have the maschine on top, the apc fits on it.. fully adjustable bars for secure fit, rotates 360 degrees and tilts how ever you want with the bars securing it without fear of falling.. my question is, with the apc towards the crowd, how are you going to control it? with your back facing the crowd or reaching over the top and trying to control upside down... i don't think anyone one is really gonna care honestly.. the best thing is let what you play speak for itself and if they are really interested, they will come up and check you out..

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... me=LPH-003

god damn it, I've been looking for that exact stand for ages, and now I know what it's called I find that . . .it costs about double in the UK. Damn american prices.
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:48 pm

I tend to think that having the gear visible to the crowd is pretty important.
I use a side-on method with keyboard-stands rather than the DJ-style leg-obstruction table.
When the audience can see the thing you are tapping on instead of just your de-contextualised grimacing face, well, that's a benefit.

It's not just for geeks & trainspotters either, the connection between this flashing light and that sound will register on most people, even if they can't figure out what the specific connection is. They'll realise there is some connection to be guessed at. I think that the worst option is just showing the back of a laptop to the audience, that is a barrier and asking too much of them

A lot of audience members enjoy seeing the flying fingers over any musical instruments to be convinced of the artists prowess. In our case the audience often need a helping hand to understand how we are controlling the music. Let's face it it's pretty cryptic what we do (in the main)

Also,
flashing LED's are always cool.