stand for apc, so the crowd can see?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Re: stand for apc, so the crowd can see?

Post by nuperspective » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:32 pm

funky shit wrote:
gabrielsaint wrote:
sburke1 wrote:dont underestimate the power of monumulation and follow actions on the a.p.cizzle. if im going to go through the trouble of htriggering clips on 16th note quantization, the crowd may as well see what i'm doing. Unless a light show is dmx controlled and in sync, i dont think that is something to compare to the apc or a monome. ive got a projector so I definitely do want to project that, anybody got any good recomendations for small cameras, kind of like the isight, that I could mount pointed at the apc?

Seeing someone perform is as important as hearing them perform. That creates the "show." It's based on the fundamentals of learning. If you hear and see... you'll remember. It's brain stimulation.

I'd be interested in seeing some of your follow action ideas.
Yep.. at the Prodigy & chemical brothers shows i nearly wet my pants.

yes thats a light show. they dont say "hey look at my new itchyfanny 500 midi controller" and hold it up to the crowd. if your in that much trouble pay a dancer a la Bezz from the happy mondays and wrap christmas lights around him.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:12 am

ya you're right.. All I ever see him doing is holding down buttons on the beat pad (mpc i believe). What is he doing just holding buttons down?

I've seen the monome only get touched to switch songs, but it definitely is doing the blinking across which I guess are pre-sequenced loops.

but him and his drummer drop some pretty crazy shit.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:19 am

EddieJ wrote: I think they were tilting them so they could avoid the glare of the sun behind them.
If that's the case, win-win ;)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:44 am

Donnie wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:my question is, with the apc towards the crowd, how are you going to control it? with your back facing the crowd or reaching over the top and trying to control upside down... i don't think anyone one is really gonna care honestly.. the best thing is let what you play speak for itself and if they are really interested, they will come up and check you out..
Just like this:

View of crowd for perspective:

I know some around here dont really see the importance of this kind of thing but I think you would be suprised how many people eat this up. Even if they dont understand exactly whats going on it gives visual feedback similar to watching someone play an instrument. ;)
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen! A Lemur is 12" and in bright dailight from 50 meters away you won't be able to see JACK SHIT and they go them angled to show off their mad controlla skilss? HAHAHAHAHa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gabrielsaint

Post by gabrielsaint » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:56 am

I've done around 20 shows with the APC and Lemur together. Last night was the first time we leaned them up so every one could see the pretty lights. We work our gear pretty hard. A lot of real time live sequencing, keyboards, and some mpc style drumming...

...and honestly there was a difference. I noticed people actually watching me close to see what I was doing. The audience could really put together what we were doing. Also, it looked awesome with the house lights down.

To end, it was more comfortable and more ergonomic to play it at a tilt. It allows you to put your hands at a more natural angle. I liked it. My back and wrists don't hurt today either. CTS

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:36 am

djsynchro wrote:
Donnie wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:my question is, with the apc towards the crowd, how are you going to control it? with your back facing the crowd or reaching over the top and trying to control upside down... i don't think anyone one is really gonna care honestly.. the best thing is let what you play speak for itself and if they are really interested, they will come up and check you out..
Just like this:

View of crowd for perspective:

I know some around here dont really see the importance of this kind of thing but I think you would be suprised how many people eat this up. Even if they dont understand exactly whats going on it gives visual feedback similar to watching someone play an instrument. ;)
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen! A Lemur is 12" and in bright dailight from 50 meters away you won't be able to see JACK SHIT and they go them angled to show off their mad controlla skilss? HAHAHAHAHa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i think you don't get it, it's about having a SHOW and not about people being able to see some details on a lemur... and a setup like that surely adds to a show effect... making it more attractive... to watch.

(yet alone the different body language you develop because of the controllers that are tilted to the audience make a huge difference...)
*** Image GAFM ***

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:53 pm

+1 at SubFunk..

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:42 pm

+2 @ subfunk

seriously it's like comparing a dj using 1210's and a dj using ableton with no controller... the crowds like to see what's going whether it's a bunch of chin strokers, some seriously funky heads or a bunch of drugged out fools..
As long as they can see you doing something and your heads not buried into a freaking laptop for your whole set.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:58 pm

sburke1 wrote:That rhymed. Anyways, i want people to see these fricking cool buttons that I am pressing on stage. Whats the best way to mount this thing , slightly pointed down and towards the crowd, so they can see this monomulation and and button press-ation in action jackson?
I hope this is some sort of ironic stab at show off dj types who are more concerned w/looking cool than doing anything original

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:33 am

I thought the first picture was of some sort of open air laptop building competition, because thats what it looks like.

Tilting lemur screens. Another nail in the coffin of live performance.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

cacti

Post by cacti » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:51 am

people who tilt their apc so the crowd can see are fucking ghey,

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:21 am

guitar straps ftw

i'm gonna put guitar straps on my apc

and i'm gonna put them on my launchpad when i get it so i can cruise around and shred the hell out of it

thats what i call bad A

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:11 am

APCeetar, :lol:

You'll have to use your imagination because my photoshop skills are.. well, not skills. :cry:

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:13 am

Yeah, get one of thoses straps that snare drum players in the school band would wear.

and then get a hae and a cape..

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:21 am

outershpongolia wrote:Yeah, get one of thoses straps that snare drum players in the school band would wear.

and then get a hae and a cape..

hae?
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.