Considering switching to Live from LA 6.3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4amStudios

Considering switching to Live from LA 6.3

Post by 4amStudios » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:41 am

What can I expect ? I am a recording engineer with a small demo studio . I have been using Logic for about 2 years but am interested in a change , not that Logic is not the most powerful program I have ever used to date . I am using a MOTU 828MKII , and plan to add a Focusrite 428MKII in the chain . My goal is to record demos for local bands , and continue my MIDI based projects , while opening up a whole new world to composing . I need to be able to have rock solid performance within OSX 10.3.5 . Plans for the immediate future include:

Faderfox
TC Powercore FW
Focusrite 428MKII

I hope to expand to 24 channels of input at some point , can live reconize and use multiple audio interfaces ? I was considering 2 896 HD's .

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated .

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:01 am

You should be able to do what you want in Live and it will definitely get you to think in new ways. I love it—I haven't used Logic Pro since I got Live 4. I use it in combination with DSP-Quattro as my audio editor, so I can double-click on any audio and get a powerful edit window, plus all the stuff I get in live for arranging and non-destructive modification. I use it with a variety of AUs and VSTs and it has been very solid for me.

Cheers,

jason
Last edited by hyerstay on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:45 am

I use Logic /Live 4 and DSP also......... Different Progs for different needs. Logic for audio mixing .... and great midi, Albleton 4 needs a little more midi development IMHO, but what they have is a great start. Audio.... Logic and...... Ableton for loop arranging. Quattro for mastering and cutting up audio/ Mastering.... You have 3 of the worhorses for me on OSX...... Great anyway you go!

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:00 am

Why sacrifice one for the other? Use both for what they're best at and try Rewiring them together too.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:38 am

the only thing I dont use live for now is when I have to sync to video, and if I was mainly mac I would consider revision for that, but for making music I have never been able to work as quickly and intuitively as with live 4

claudek

Post by claudek » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:53 am

Live and Logic are both excellent programs. They both offer different plugs for sound processing. Rewire can join them both.
I was thinking of dumping Logic over Live, but I really could not. The Logic compresor alone is awesome and so are some of teh filters and eq..
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:25 am

recording live bands is classic lineair DAW work....so stick with LA............ Live4 cannot do crossfading f.e..........

Olaf

4amStudios

Post by 4amStudios » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:54 pm

So Live is not linear ? I'm confused , it sure seems linear . So what limitations would I be stuck with ? I'm on a DP 1.25 w/1GB of RAM , Dual Barracuda Seagate 80GB 7200RPM drives .

I had to reread , no crossfades ? Ugh

mocker

Post by mocker » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:31 pm

Right, no crossfade. Though I love it for live situations :-) and composing, i would not recommend Live for any of those "classic" tasks as sample editing, linear recording (most of studio work), recording a band, etc. We -still- need to use more than one program. After all, why should we have to stick to one of them ? Is there some DAW religion forbidding choice here ? Just kidding :-) I just love Live 4 anyway and use it on stage on a regular basis...

ryst

Post by ryst » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:27 pm

So Live is not linear ? I'm confused , it sure seems linear . So what limitations would I be stuck with ? I'm on a DP 1.25 w/1GB of RAM , Dual Barracuda Seagate 80GB 7200RPM drives .

I had to reread , no crossfades ? Ugh
Live has a crossfader but you cannot crossfade the way you can with PT, Logic, or DP. As far as recording a whole band, why not? Live can input 24 tracks at a time. So set up your inputs and record in the arrange view. You can also record with the session view. It just works a bit differently. The only thing that is frustrating for me is getting an accurate input metering so I make sure I don't overload the inputs. But I have the original 828. I'm not sure if the markII is any better. You could use a 2-track editor for presice editing but for recording and mixing you can definitly do it in Live. Live works differently than a lot of programs so you have to think a little differently with Live. The tools are there. good luck!

majestic

Re: Considering switching to Live from LA 6.3

Post by majestic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:16 pm

4amStudios wrote:I hope to expand to 24 channels of input at some point , can live reconize and use multiple audio interfaces ? I was considering 2 896 HD's .
At present, I think the only sequencer that supports multiple audio interfaces under OSX is DP4 (I know Cubase doesn't). This is something to do with the way the CoreAudio driver works. Live probably doesn't support it, but the Abletons can clear that up for you.

Apart from that, why not just try recording a band in Live (i.e. some friends, for free) and seeing if it works for you? You can always just rewire Logic if you need it.

Good luck with it!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:28 pm

I agree with mothafunka: you should keep both Live 4 and Logic handy! But right now it can be wise to hold on and see if Logic 7 is being released this week. I'm a big fan of mixing with Live and Logic rewire synced. maybe I won't need Live for mixing with Logic 7 and I sure know I will neveer need Logic on stage where keep I using Live all the time ;-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:47 pm

Right now I'm using Logic for basic song creation, then taking audio into Live for arranging and performance. Live allows for multiple controllers and soft synths to be used, Logic does not. Logic will get plug in delay compensation before Live does though, a consideration if you're buying a powercore.

Live doesn't really use dual processors very well, ( 2nd is for graphics only! :? ), Logic does. I get more out of my desktop with Logic, and more out of my powerbook with Live!

Brings me to the revelation that it would be nice if Logic could be a rewire slave to Live, would make recording snips for Live dead simple.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:00 am

Per Boysen wrote:right now it can be wise to hold on and see if Logic 7 is being released this week.
What th'...? SX3's being unveiled this week (Sep 6), but Logic 7 too???

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:15 am

majestic wrote:What th'...? SX3's being unveiled this week (Sep 6), but Logic 7 too???
As all roumors you can't rely on them too much. But since this one is so close I thought it was worth mentioning. I also heard about SX3 coming; some interesting "Live inspired" new functions in there... ;-)

pboy