Anyone using Presonus gear?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Soundscapemusic

Re: Anyone using Presonus gear?

Post by Soundscapemusic » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:54 am

Cool, yaa im considering buying it. Stock chipset fr me right now is the RICOH chipset.. Presonus said i NEED to upgrade to TI, but i said no. I rarely get problems.. I mean, now and again i do, but ive learned to tame the beast. Only because an internal chipset upgrade was expensive.. i didnt think and expresscard would suffice :D now that i do know that i wanna know more, but totally let me know if theres a noticeable difference in stability, etc etc.

Anyone explain to me the SPDIF ins/outs? Wtf can i use them for on my Firebox?

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:31 am

Soundscapemusic wrote:Cool, yaa im considering buying it. Stock chipset fr me right now is the RICOH chipset.. Presonus said i NEED to upgrade to TI, but i said no. I rarely get problems.. I mean, now and again i do, but ive learned to tame the beast. Only because an internal chipset upgrade was expensive.. i didnt think and expresscard would suffice :D now that i do know that i wanna know more, but totally let me know if theres a noticeable difference in stability, etc etc.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Soundscapemusic wrote:
Soundscapemusic wrote:Cool, yaa im considering buying it. Stock chipset fr me right now is the RICOH chipset.. Presonus said i NEED to upgrade to TI, but i said no. I rarely get problems.. I mean, now and again i do, but ive learned to tame the beast. Only because an internal chipset upgrade was expensive.. i didnt think and expresscard would suffice :D now that i do know that i wanna know more, but totally let me know if theres a noticeable difference in stability, etc etc.

i use them for getting a signal into my lexicon, for example...

or you can use them for freeing up channels and use the presonus firebox mixpanel and use them as the headphone monitor channel...
*** Image GAFM ***

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 pm

The problem with firepod sometimes making no sound after the machine has been "sleeping" occurs on both the built in and the express card interfaces.

not noticed any other problems on the express card interface as yet.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:21 pm

crumhorn wrote:The problem with firepod sometimes making no sound after the machine has been "sleeping" occurs on both the built in and the express card interfaces.

I wouldnt put my computer in sleep mode.. ever.. but thats just what i learned.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Soundscapemusic wrote:
crumhorn wrote:The problem with firepod sometimes making no sound after the machine has been "sleeping" occurs on both the built in and the express card interfaces.

my macs are always since day one of using computers only in sleep mode, hardly ever off.

no problems ever encountered because of that.
*** Image GAFM ***

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:36 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Soundscapemusic wrote:

my macs are always since day one of using computers only in sleep mode, hardly ever off.

no problems ever encountered because of that.

Key word.. "Macs" lol :P

i dunno.. my PC's are different.. and ive just always never put them in sleep mode o avoid complications of any sort.

wish i had a few macs... lol...

hwelsh

Post by hwelsh » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Does the firebox work as a soundcard dealio, so that you could go from your computer to it, and then it to a club mixer, in order to play your midi controller live?

I am new to the idea of soundcards, but want to be able to do live sets with my laptop and a midi controller.

woot woot thanks

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:05 pm

hwelsh wrote:Does the firebox work as a soundcard dealio, so that you could go from your computer to it, and then it to a club mixer, in order to play your midi controller live?

I am new to the idea of soundcards, but want to be able to do live sets with my laptop and a midi controller.

woot woot thanks

...yes. :D

hwelsh

Post by hwelsh » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:39 pm

does it do channels out? so that i could send ableton channels to a mixer and do my frequency killing and stuff on the club mixer? or does this kind of functionality only come from more expensive soundcards?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

hwelsh wrote:does it do channels out? so that i could send ableton channels to a mixer and do my frequency killing and stuff on the club mixer? or does this kind of functionality only come from more expensive soundcards?
it has 3 times stereo analog outs and one spdif i/o, the answer is YES!
*** Image GAFM ***

dru

Post by dru » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:44 am

I've been getting really bad CPU usage in Live 8 with Snow Leopard so I read on the Presonus forums about downgrading the firmware. Now, people will say it can't be done but I found an interesting post that explained how to do it. If you're running the 2007 firmware, to downgrade to the 2005 firmware right click the Update Firebox Firmware application and choose Show Package Contents. Go to the Contents > Resources folders and you'll find a Firebox Firmware Downgrader. Just run this and click Update Firmware (which will downgrade it).

I found that live ran much smoother and the same projects that had pops and crackles were drastically reduced and ran much smoother! Worth giving a shot!