I challenge you to help me work out a crafty mapping method!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
albotnz

I challenge you to help me work out a crafty mapping method!

Post by albotnz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:15 pm

ok, now that I have baited the cream of the forum with the dropping of the proverbial gauntlet...

what I would totally LOVE to be able to do is drop a 3rd party synth or similar into my project mid set, and have tasty parameters already mapped for my controller.

i thought i had this sussed out with autoconfig.txt and racks/macros giving me the little blue high-five, and i was dangerously close to contentedness

but alas i see that the macros 'pin' those midi values. now if i change patches within my au/vst, those values that are macro'd do not change correspondingly! oh no! it is as if the macros are sending a stream of cc midi data at their fixed value, and the au/vst is torn from the new values immediately after loading a patch.

does anyone know of a way to do have macros assigned, but allow the au or vst to change those values internally, so that i can browse through presets? kind of like the midi 'pickup' option, i suppose would be one solution.

please help me ableton forum, you are my only hope

Jekblad

Re: I challenge you to help me work out a crafty mapping method!

Post by Jekblad » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:53 pm

if the VST has macros' or similar inside, can you map to THOSE only, because their midi numbers wouldn't change when you switch patches.

you'd have to write yourself a little custom bank of patches. with pretty much any plug.

what plug are you using that u need presets? just map your stuff to useful things and tweak from there. (this is the fast easy method, but not the best of both worlds)
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm

buy a nocturn. problem solved

albotnz

Post by albotnz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:46 pm

@Jekblad: It's not a problem of midi numbers within the vst changing, as having to remap the assignments when I first import the vst - it's kindof me being lazy, but i really want to take as many technically minded routines out of playing and performance.

Writing my own bank of patches is exactly what I want to do, which is why this would be cool to do. Maybe just mapping on the fly is the only thing to really do...

@Android Bishop: why a nocturn? is it the sweet automapping? I've just got the user created automapping going for my x-station, it's freaking sweet but not getting me around this little tangram

albotnz

Post by albotnz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:39 am

wha!?