Having trouble with automation.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
navegante

Having trouble with automation.

Post by navegante » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:14 am

Hello,
This is my first post and I'm a new Ableton Live 8 : )
I've recorded two mapped parameters(crossfader and the beat repeat). Once i go to listen back none of the automation is played back. And the when i view the automation, it is greyed out.
Also, I tried clicking the "back to arrangement" button off but it flickers right back to on immediately.
Other sessions do not have this problem. What am I missing?

Dunno what the deal is. can anyone help.

Paz,
-Navegante

heavensdaw

Re: Having trouble with automation.

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Welcome .. :D

Try recording into arrangement view.. Then drag the clips back into session..

Hope this helps.

Hd

navegante

Post by navegante » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:42 am

Are you saying I should record while I'm in the arrange page view or in the clip view and then drag them to the arrange view?
I'm currently recording in the arrange view.
Thanks for your reply.

J

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:24 am

I had similar questions regarding this issue. I was told it wasn't possible and to try searching! So... aside from the OVERLY friendly tone in the reply I received, I had already mentioned that I had searched the forums but whatever... I am replying to your msg to let you know that apparently it can't be done in "session view with clips"

I did get it to work in arrangement view but when I copied it over to a clip, it didn't work. Kinda lame to me...

I am also tagging this reply with

RECORDING AUTOMATION IN CLIPS so the next person that searches will hopefully see this message before getting the MPCFORUM-ISH culture shock. :mrgreen:

navegante

Post by navegante » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 pm

This seems like a BUG.
Because it records the automation fine. It just won't play it back. I can see the lines made from recording the automation but they are browned out. When I click off the "back to arrange" button it turns the lines red(active) and everything works but then it flickers back to on and it's back to brown.
This is why it seems like a version bug or something.
I think i need technical support.

If I make any progress I'll send word.

Paz,
J

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

this has happened to me too.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 am

sounds to me like you need to hit the 'back to arrangement' button..

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 am

navegante wrote:When I click off the "back to arrange" button it turns the lines red(active) and everything works but then it flickers back to on and it's back to brown.
Is there any track still armed while you're playing back and are you fiddling with controls right then (or is some controller sending signals without you noticing)? That would of course reengage the back-to-arrangement-button.

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:10 pm

The problem i had was on automation of an effect (delay) on a midi track being sent to an external synth.
I solved the issue by bouncing the track down, and then copying the automation channel to a new instance of the same delay on the new audio track.
must have been some sort of conflict between the two midi channels or something.

malenko

Post by malenko » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:52 pm

I seem to remember having this problem too, long time ago so I'll try remember, are you playing a clip from a session view while working in the arrangement to record your automation? Ive just tried that and it does exactly what you said, brown's out. So if so drag your clip from session into arrangement.
If not, check you've not somehow added automation to the clip itself. Open it up, click on the little E bot left corner, then in envelopes menu click on first drop down box, any automation will show with a red square next to it. If you have delete this automation
Also another thing to check is sometimes your controller may be controlling something else at the same time that you dont know about (I've done it loads when I first started, very frustrating!) so it's conflicting with what your trying to do so check for any other unwanted automation in either the clips as I've mentioned or open the mixer in arrangement view and click the first drop down box to see if there is the red square's and if this is the unwanted conflicting auto, delete.

Hope this helps in anyway :)

DannyNL

Post by DannyNL » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:16 pm

Had the same, any midi msg for any parameter coming in disables the midi automation readout.
Go to the instrument or fx, right click the automation slider thats red and select RE Enable automation. :lol: