What's you musical background/training?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dfusion

What's you musical background/training?

Post by dfusion » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:05 pm

What sort of experience, training, or education do most of you have? Perhaps classical, rock, DJ, maybe none and you were inspired to load some software and start figuring out how to write a tune?

I'm sure we're all a diverse group! Live is unique software and you can't assume anything about anyone. Let's share our backgrounds.
Last edited by dfusion on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:26 pm

I've been a musician my whole life. Started with years of Classical violin training and taught myself piano/keyboards. It simply snowballed from there over the years. Toured with numerous bands. I've spent the last few years in the studio, learning everything I can. Now I'm in a project that seems to tap into everything I've learned over the years.

Check this out... demos online too.

http://www.evidenceworldwide.com
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

ryst

Post by ryst » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:40 pm

Well, I don't like to be self-indulgent but I taught myself how to play piano when I was 5. And when I was 13 I picked up music again....All self-taught. Which basically means I can play a few instruments but I am really not good at anything! I started recording about 5-6 years ago and became addicted. I went to a 2 month school in OHio called the Recording Workshop. It did nothing more than answer a few questions and put all the peices of the puzzle together. I have been making really heavy ambient music for the past couple of years(Pink Floyd meets Deftones meets Bjork)....When I am finished releasing my anger I would like to one day become a male version of Bjork. And that's where Live really comes in!!!!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:49 pm

musician. Not loading Live 4 "to write a tune" though. I'm more into using it as an instrument, doing "live-looping" or "instant composing by improvisation" or whatever ppl keep calling it. I actually play guitar and tenor sax quite "well" but being an instrumentalist has never interested me that much. Even though I've been playing as studio session musician, toured and recorded for major labels under an artist deal -. but I saved my ass out of that too. I really don't understand some fellow musicians that look at music as a carrier or business. for me it's just an ever going life experiment. Right now I'm partnering with a company that promotes educational eventes where I'm performing a mix of improvised music and material from an album. They are not working in the music business, rather with education of organizational and business leaders. Anyway, I'm preparing these shows in Live 4 and it seems to turn out quite well sofar ;-) (talking musical style it is a bit "The Orb and Pink Floyd meeting up with The Boroundi Drummers and a Brittish Spoken Word Artist")
Last edited by Per Boysen on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:06 pm

well, i'm kind of a mix of enjoyRC and ryst... i have a classical background, where i played classical percussions, then i moved to piano, and jazz, and electronic music, a bit of tablas too, guitar... meaning i play a lot of things, but not very well.
my focus now is on piano AND computer.
i first strted with a MC-303 and DrSample about 6 years ago.
i have released a first maxi and am working on a live. my music will be online pretty soon.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:08 pm

I taught myself about synthesis, I taught myself how to play the piano and guitar, I taught myself how to use the various software packages I use. I'm the traditional autodidact!!

I eat dictionaries as well! :lol:

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Re: What's you musical background/training?

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:19 am

dfusion wrote:What sort of experience, training, or education do most of you have?
None! :wink: Now I go by trial and error...

5dots

Post by 5dots » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:09 pm

i never learned an instrument, though i have fairly good rhythm for drumming. i spent several years making 4-track recordings with a more skilled friend, where he'd play guitar and bass and i'd add samples or keyboard sound effects or found-object drumming. then one day i decided that i'd teach myself to make computer music, and i did.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:21 pm

crush your enemies, watch them tremble before you, and the fear and lamentation of the women!

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:32 pm

I genius.

No training.

Not even bothered about technique, experience or knowledge.

I can't even play an instrument properly.

I AM a Live user. I know what I like and I am on a mission to educate the world with my coolness.

Would a trained talented musician use Live?

Yes, if they are insufficiently talented at natural musicianship.

Like Me! :)

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:14 pm

I like to have fun and experiment. I played Viola in school and now play feedback. (Which I have found myself hocking my gear because Live does this well. I also bought a record or two somewhere in there and tried to let them intermingle.) I have been on this journey for close to 15 years now. So there you have it...... :lol:

ryo74

Post by ryo74 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:58 am

i'm a drummer & studied music for a couple of years. also play keyboards a bit. i use Live to compose/experiment/record/play "live"! :D
15" PowerBook G4 FW800,1.67 Ghz,512,Live 4,Reason 2.5,ReCycle 2.1,FW410,Ozone.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:27 am

Now 36 years old.
Played Bass (fretless from age of 12 till 18) got lost along the way.
Picked up Harmonica and bamboo flute .
Self taught keys player (I play well enough to write but I would NOT rave about it) ....
Bought my first keyboard an Emu EII+ at 21 arsed around with alot of analog gear between 89-95 and only started truly 'desucking" at what I do several years back :lol: .
Basicly I've spent the last few years working primarily with synthesis/sound design and unlearning everything I learn't way back when.
I can still read sheet music but find I've thrown most theory out the door now I have a laptop based system.
More into exploring sonic landsacpes of the mind.
Still a sucker for some nice counterpoint and the like mind you.
Currently do anything from downbeat to ambient/illbient ,triphop ,experimental ,atonal and musique concrete style noodlings.
Having much fun in the process.
LIVE 4.0 is an absolute gas.
I feel like a kid learning all over again.
Truly inspirational and invaluable tool that has exponentially increased my creative output 10 fold.
Made no money - had a few very small scale releases.
Love making music ,though I think I'd die without it in my Life (either that or go slowly insane).
It's cathartic ,my muse a place of meditation and reconciliation ,my down time and greatest pleasure in life.
As pretentious as all this sounds I still feel I have a great sonic opus in me yet.
Something free of all the shackles of self if you get my drift.
Like a journey into the inner sanctum of the mind.
I love music for it's meditative and healing powers ,passion and expression.
I am also a dab hand at painting ,printmaking and drawing (primarily charcoal on canvas).
Excuse the gush once again.
I finished 3 tunes in 2 months which is more than I've done in ages and onto my 4th piece already.
Damn did I say I loved Live 4 to death .
Great stuff :D .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:33 am

sung to in the womb.

studied classical trombone at university for 4 years.

pretty much self taught guitar, bass, keys, drums and computers.

played in various bands from indie rock through punk to electro pop.

live sound engineer.

teach rock music to high school students and music technology at Melbourne's Art's centre.

got my own "am" studio project... which is pretty much for getting together my own tracks, doing the odd remix, and music for films.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:38 am

Pardon the propaganda, but me "official" bio is here: http://www.pitchblack.co.nz/us/paddy.htm
might raise a dry smile or summit'

cheers
paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud