Ebay advice - weird email from synth buyer.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bytheriver

Ebay advice - weird email from synth buyer.

Post by bytheriver » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:20 am

Heya, hoping for a little help.

I sold my sh32 roland synth on ebay and it went to someone with a london address, but they sent me:

"Witaj, safundone,

Dzi?kujemy za zakupy w serwisie eBay! ??czna kwota do zap?aty to ?187.99. Szczegó?owe informacje o zakupie zosta?y podane poni?ej."

I also got an email that looks like its from paypal, saying 'instant payment received' and 'do not reply to this address etc', from this persons hotmail account. If I reply, it goes to his hotmail.

So at this point i'm thinking, spoofed email, scam from some foreign guy.

HOWEVER, when I log into paypal, through the legit site, I have a confirmed and completed payment from the buyer for the correct amount with a 'print postage label' option next to it.

So whats up, is it legit or a scam? Can a completed payment somehow turn out to be not paid or returned to the payer somehow? Does anyone even know what language this is?

Cheers, Ian

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Re: Ebay advice - weird email from synth buyer.

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 am

as far as im concerned when the money is put into your account and is completed its there and the only way they can get it back is if your release it(send it back) to them from my experience with paypal. If they paid you then iono if its a scam but id check it out a little more to be sure.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

DaffyDub

Post by DaffyDub » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 am

it's Polish
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:43 am

"It greet, safundone, Dzi? We hammer for shopping in service eBay! For amount czna zap? It aty ?187.99. Szczegó? That informations of shopping zosta? Served y poni? ej"

From an online translator.

Lots of polish folks in the UK at the moment, so seems legit after all. I'll send it over later today.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 pm

how long did you have the roland sh-32 and why did you sell it?
just curious cause i'm a recent owner of one and slowly getting into it.

v76

Post by v76 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Yea if it shows up in your PP account, it seems legit... maybe he's an inexperienced ebayer and felt the need to send you the receipt of his payment? But then... he shouldn't have your email, unless you gave it to him.

But if it shows, just withdraw the money into your bank account... should be set at this point.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:47 pm

No worries here whatsoever if the payment is in your paypal account. Just make sure to accept the payment (if need be) before sending out the synth.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Paypal has localised sites (I know - I'm Dutch) and lots and lots of stuff appears translated. It DOES say for example when you send an enquiry "the seller speaks a different language than you" but I've dealt with people before and they were just writing me in Gernman & shit (which is cool I can get by) maybe they didn't realise this - just send them a note saying "English please!"

Good luck!
Veel succes!
Guten Erfolg!
.-.--..-.-..-..--..-..-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.....--..-. (morse code)