Key Shortcut for the browser?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: Key Shortcut for the browser?

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:16 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
Yeah. Don't we all
i don't see enough people giving ableton shit about it... it can't be that hard to implement, can it?

that would be not even worth an mentioned update, it should be just there, naturally.
Yeah. Cause we all know Live's code is super simple 8O

Lots of things should appear naturally. Follow actions for sessions slots ranking high on my list of features that should just be there. And hey, I wouldn't mind recording the odd automation in a session clip.
I gave Ableton shit for years with this whole automapping stuff. In the end it was all wasted energy and at the same time they're giving me exactly what I wanted with M4L.
I mean, you can spend all your time getting pissed about the little things that aren't there. Being assured its childsplay to implement. But isn't this request just one of literally hundreds of little things that should just naturally be there?

Anyway. I'm not arguing that this couldn't be implemented within a day. Maybe a month. But you just don't know. For all we know, they're working on an entire overhaul. The serato thing is still coming up, that might be anything from a native serato device to controlling a Live session like a piece of vinyl. With special warping madness. Like it or not, you'll see a lot of your feature requests naturally pop up in the wild in the form of Max patches.

To be honest, I don't even know why or what I'm arguing. I hate mondays. I think that is my point.
You got legitimate beef with Ableton for not having what you want. I'm learning that I'm running out of requests and will soon be able to make Live what I wanted it to be since I discovered Live 3.
Just take a look in the feature request list and beta forums. I've seen 80% of my wishes come true over the last 5 years. And believe me, I had a lot of wishes.

<hippie> Its all going to work out man.</hippie> Got bugs? Haunt Dom. Got wishes? Have patience. Additionally, haunt Amaury with wishes. Works for me.
And dude, you're in Germany. You can literally go bribe them with beers or fancy coffee. You can walk into Ableton with your computer and show your issues and get them properly reported. (don't forget the camera :) )
If anybody is in a perfect position to give Ableton shit, I'd say you'd rank high up the list.
Real-time bug reports. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that.
you really misunderstand me...

i mean it's not worth a in a 'selling / marketing point' of view... that's why it should be just there... not worth a mention...

also, i said it, because YOU where like:
Yeah. Don't we all
so i picked up your big words... also, i asked if it id so difficult...!!! i did not said it is. read. (and ableton does in the meantime, just like any other company only care about sells... not about quality that much anymore... natural development, with the size ableton has now, M4L or serato will bring new customers, fixing 'old' issues not (and it also does not really scare old users off to the extend leaving the apps...!!!), i am aware of it, and i don't judge it negatively... i do business myself, but i also say it like it is!!!)

and lately i talked to amaury and he seemed to be bothered about way more complex stuff (probably because of the reason mentioned) then fixing the 'easy and obvious' (at least what i consider it to be, maybe i am wrong... i mean you say that, so i am wrong) because i am apparently pretty much the only one who wants to have simple stuff working before all the serato, M4L and whatever... comes along.

also: i, but i guess i am wrong again... consider the ability of the easy and extensive Key and midi mapping one of the few really outstanding functions that keep Live far apart and above other music apps around and make it so utterly unique... so i wonder, why that strength and uniqueness not
ALL THE WAY? before adding other stuff!
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 pm

I suppose I took your question more as a rhetorical question. Not an actual inquiry to the amount of work it would take to implement this, what the implications are to existing features and how to interface with it.
So yeah, a misunderstanding.

I was going to address your issues with "simple stuff" and "old issues" but that is probably more suited for those threads that discuss those specific things.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:34 pm

hoffman2k wrote:I suppose I took your question more as a rhetorical question. Not an actual inquiry to the amount of work it would take to implement this, what the implications are to existing features and how to interface with it.
So yeah, a misunderstanding.

I was going to address your issues with "simple stuff" and "old issues" but that is probably more suited for those threads that discuss those specific things.
bingo!

believe me i am in fairly intense contact and some are even with me... they are fully aware of what's going on... but numbers are a strong, very strong argument and as long as they can extend those without loosing old customers they will focus on that. that's all.

and i fight to focus on other stuff as well, which i believe is way overdue.
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:43 pm

SubFunk wrote: also: i, but i guess i am wrong again... consider the ability of the easy and extensive Key and midi mapping one of the few really outstanding functions that keep Live far apart and above other music apps around and make it so utterly unique... so i wonder, why that strength and uniqueness not
Damn man. Stop editing those posts. I can't keep up with whats there and what appears while I type :lol:

Anyway, on that particular bit I want to address "be careful what you wish for".
ALL THE WAY is the way they're going by adding stuff. I mean, you'd be happy with Key/MIDI. I want OSC and HID control. That is all the way, not limiting themselves with 2 control options. Instead we get unlimited control options. WIImote mapping anybody?

To address the post that appeared when i tried to submit this one: Keep fighting the fight man. I'm not fighting you. I'm just a veteran of many battles and it looks like I'll be winning the war :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
SubFunk wrote: also: i, but i guess i am wrong again... consider the ability of the easy and extensive Key and midi mapping one of the few really outstanding functions that keep Live far apart and above other music apps around and make it so utterly unique... so i wonder, why that strength and uniqueness not
Damn man. Stop editing those posts. I can't keep up with whats there and what appears while I type :lol:

Anyway, on that particular bit I want to address "be careful what you wish for".
ALL THE WAY is the way they're going by adding stuff. I mean, you'd be happy with Key/MIDI. I want OSC and HID control. That is all the way, not limiting themselves with 2 control options. Instead we get unlimited control options. WIImote mapping anybody?

To address the post that appeared when i tried to submit this one: Keep fighting the fight man. I'm not fighting you. I'm just a veteran of many battles and it looks like I'll be winning the war :)
:D
*** Image GAFM ***

ton

Post by ton » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 am

SubFunk wrote:nope, at least not with a convenient one key push... same with groups. :cry:
... or you use two hands for it... :cry:
... to a single key... is a MAJOR FAIL.
In Windows you can do this using AutoHotkey, for the Mac I am sure there should be similar applications and tools.

ton

Post by ton » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:55 am

SubFunk wrote:consider the ability of the easy and extensive Key and midi mapping one of the few really outstanding functions that keep Live far apart and above other music apps around and make it so utterly unique... so i wonder, why that strength and uniqueness not ALL THE WAY?
I asked a detailed question about that uniqueness, but still waiting for an answer here.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 am

Let's have these!