Mirroring Mac Pro on MacBook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kilroy

Mirroring Mac Pro on MacBook

Post by Kilroy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I have a Mac Pro on which I use Live. The Pro has three different hard drives: my boot drive, another drive called "Projects" and another called "Sample Libraries."

I build Live projects on the "Projects" drive. These projects load VSTs and samples from the "Sample Libraries" drive. I then take those projects and put them on my MacBook for live use on stage. The problem comes when I move the projects over, and my MacBook has no drive called "Sample Libraries," so I have to point everything to the correct location for the samples and VSTs on the Macbook. And then when I move it back to my Mac Pro for more editing or revision, I have to repeat the drill two more times.

I am getting a 500gb replacement drive for my MacBook on Wednesday. If I create partitions called "Projects" and "Sample Libraries" will this fix the problem above? Or would I need to attach multiple physical drives to my Macbook to fix it?

If the above will work, please tell me the order in which I should do this. I need to clone my existing MacBook hard drive onto the replacement drive. Should I do that first, and them set up the partitions, or do the partitions have to be set up first? Will I need to format the drive before I do anything else?

Thanks for the help,

Kilroy

bodhi71

Re: Mirroring Mac Pro on MacBook

Post by bodhi71 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Hey Killroy, with you're MBP are you using external HD's or can you have multiple hard drives in a MBP ? Just curious :)
And is it a noticable difference in performance or just for space issues? Or are partitions?

jeffplaysmoog

Re: Mirroring Mac Pro on MacBook

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:07 pm

although it would not really help for the VSTs/plugins... couldn't you just use the collect all and save for the projects that you will want to move? Then as long as the VSTs are also installed on the other Mac and Ableton already knows where they are then it should open fine, yes? I could be totally wrong with this... The other night I had a gig and we use Daft Punk's Aerodynamic (the first part before the guitar taps) as an intro to our set... I totally forgot the sample was on my external and when the time came to trigger the clip... nothing! It was the worst!
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40