DONT EVER BUY M AUDIO- SHIT QUALITY

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zeddy

Re: DONT EVER BUY M AUDIO- SHIT QUALITY

Post by Zeddy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 pm

I have bought a few pieces of M-Audio gear... mostly because my budget has been fairly low, and I haven't had too many problems with them at all to be honest. I guess everyone has a different experience.

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:04 am

I will add that I had a DMP3 pre-amp that was excellent and an Audiophile 196 card that was also excellent. I had no problems and no complaints with either product, and they were very reasonably priced.

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 am

I hate to break it to you people, but I bet dollars to donuts, that, "shit," Maudio Products and, "great," Akai products, are most likely made by the same children in the same factories.
too many lasers...

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:32 am

I always had a very good experiencies with M-audio stuff and My Macbook Pro. The Oxygen 8 (version 1) is still part of my set up. 5 years ago I used the Firewire Audiophile and the 410 without problem and...one day...I got a RME Multiface and forgot about those cards. Recently, just before a show...the Duel adapter(Pcmcia to Expresscard) for my Multiface broke and the card became useless for me at the moment, then, I took my old 410 and connected it again to my Macbook...it worked fine !!!, me,Macbook Pro,Live and Guitar Rig rocked the house...

So...no hate for M-audio products, I know they're not the best, but they do what they're supposed to. :mrgreen:

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:08 am

Yeah, I dunno either.

I bought an M-Audio Quattro USB sound card in 2003. Sure, it's not a professional level piece of kit, but I'm not a professional level artist and 6 years later and the thing still works just fine. Had some driver issues with it early on, but other than that it's always worked.

Bought an M-Audio midisport 2x2 in 2003. Still works great.

Bought an M-Audio Oxygen 8 in 2003 as well. I gave it to my buddy last year, he reports it's still working fine.

Bought the little DX-4 monitors in 2005, still going strong.

Bought the Axiom 49 in 2007, still works perfectly, and in fact I really dig that controller.

I've had pretty good experiences with m-audio myself.

Oh yeah, doesn't M-Audio own, or didn't they buy Evolution? I have an Evolution UC-16 from around 2002/2003 that also works fine.

Frank003

Post by Frank003 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:54 am

What really sucks about M-Audio is their customer service. It's Horrible!! If I have an issue with Ableton they at least will respond in a few weeks, well, that is if I email them a few times first :wink: But, M-Audio's Customer service has to be the worst. I've bought M-Audio Products in the past and just recently an M-Audio Axiom Pro 49. I tried getting an Update Driver for my OSX and never got a response. I've sent countless emails and tried posting on their stupid forum, but to little avail. For my next purchase I will save up for a better Quality Product and hopefully better Customer Service.

The moral of my story: Just save up and get better Quality Gear so you don't have to put up with M-Audio's Crappy Customer Service. Take it from me, it's No Fun wanting to play with gear that doesn't quite work as advertised, then trying to contact them for MONTHS and never getting a response.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:58 am

i never got a response from them either

waited on the phone for an hour and emailed them tons

evolwizard

Post by evolwizard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:06 am

My M-Audio stuff all works as described and I am quite pleased with the quality to price ratio. When I started, I had trouble wrapping my head around how to configure my setup to que with headphones. I called their tech support and they were very helpful. Looking back, the tech took great care to not demean me for requiring assistance for such a fundamental basic such as this. He was quite encouraging and expressed his enthusiasm for ableton as well. I suggest if you are having trouble with your M-Audio product, or any product for that matter, contact their support and try to figure it out. If the product doesn't suit your needs, then quite possibly you have outgrown it. Move on to a different product. I saw The Crystal Method a couple weeks ago and they used several M-Audio products and their show was pretty killer.
I hope you get it figured out.
Have fun.
...to the prelevator....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
=======================================================
17" macBook pro 2.93ghz 8GB RAM OSX 10.6-APC40-Axiom 25-Trigger Finger-Fast Track Ultra-MicroTrack II
Ableton Live 7 Suite Boxed-Reason 4

3osc

Post by 3osc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:27 am

One of my BX-5a's damn near exploded a couple of months ago. Out of the blue, it started making crackling and popping noises at ridiculous levels, followed shortly by a burning smell.

A capacitor in my Delta 1010's breakout box crapped out, too. It was bloated when I replaced it after dealing with a week of terrible hiss from the input channels.

My Behringer 2442? So far it's outlasted them both with no problems. The pre-amps sound like crap, but it still works just the same as the day I bought it.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:48 am

I agree, most of their stuff is kinda weak, but they do make alot of affordable stuff for beginners who are just starting out.. usually once they learn more, they find out that m-audio is crap and will trade up..

But one M-Audio product I can honestly be proud of having and hasn't given me problems is the Sputnik..

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 am

I've used M-Audio gear for the last ten years and had absolutely no trouble at all...

Two Audiophile 2496s, a FW410, a MobilePre USB, a couple of master controllers, and an Oxygen 8v2.

I guess the brand, brand, brand new gear must not be up to much (or you just suck...or use Windows Vista)
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

loquat

Post by loquat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:26 am

I only have the M-Audio Oxygen 8. It works. No complaints here.

IP

Post by IP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:40 am

man the new profires are sooooo excellent units!!!

dont know

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 am

KainProject wrote:also I have only 17ms latency when bringing in external audio, you can't even tell.
really?

i do live vocals through ableton and 17ms was insanely annoying on my korg zero8, i had to sing ahead of the beat to keep it in sync

now, the 6ms roundtrip on my fireface400 is beautiful

defuuss

Post by defuuss » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 am

Ah, just have to get rid of this: M-Audio IS the biggest CRAP ever. Even if you get a Fast Track Pro to work, one day you're installing another Soundcard the M-Audio won't work anymore.. And again IF it works It looses Sync after playing back for a few hours, it's simply CRAP.
I'm using Delta1010 too, it works pretty fine BUT: disconnect/connect the SubD25 Cable whilst not having the system shut down, and boom, the Converter is fried. It happened at least 5 Times already (working at a radio station)

So, M-AUDIO is not even worth one Dollar/Euro.

And Spikee, sorry but you are wrong!

Buy a Fast Track Pro (200Euro) = shit only, constantly new Problems coming up.

Buy an Edirol UA25(200 Euro), connect it to ANY PC (tested at least 20) install NO drivers, and guess what? It works.

Cheers