5 Noob Live Questions.....?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
xzusa8ky

5 Noob Live Questions.....?

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Heres a couple of noob questions that i would like to get answered from some musicians or live user with the knowledge...... :D

1. If i trigger a hole sample in a sampler (no rex file) and do apply a groove to that clip, will the sample be affected? or will it keep the original groove?

2. Can i route the output from the live faders to my BCF with midi, so that i can see the levels flashing on my BCF? Just like in Reason 4?

3. Do you apply groove to the Kick drum? or are the kick allways straight 4/4 without groove?

4. If a track is in A does that mean that all sounds on that track are in A?

5. Do you tune all samples to one key?

Hopefully someone will answer these questions for me because they are swirling around my brain for some time..... 8O

Thanks! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Re: 5 Noob Live Questions.....?

Post by 337 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey there,

1) No, the groove settings only affect the timings of the notes in the midi clip and wouldnt affect the sample being played back in sampler. If you want to add groove to a sample you could just drop it into an audio track and then apply groove to the clip.

2) Though I dont own one, i'm fairly sure the BCF only has LED or any kind of visual display for the knobs and not the faders. You can control the faders in ableton with the faders on the controller, but if you wanted the controller to respond to the levels in ableton you would have so do some serious max/msp patching. Theres probably a way to have the knob leds respond to the fader levels in ableton with an msp patch but I dont even want to even begin thinking about how i'd do it. hahah

3) Ussually (with a straight 4) theres no groove on the kick but it all depends on the feel youre going for. So if you like the sound of it with groove then go for it

4) Yes, if a track is tonal and in the key of A then all the instruments will usually be playing notes in that scale. This, again, is all about taste though. The instruments dont all necessarily HAVE to be playing notes in an A major/minor scale. Really any note in the chromatic scale can be played as long as it resolves in a way that suits you.

5) No, often a sample will already be tuned to a note that if transposed to a certain key, would ruin the timbre of the sound. So I wouldnt go tuning all the samples in my library to one specific key. Instead tune them based on whatever song youre using them in. If you write a melody and a bassline in Bb and you want to add a kick drum sample thats tuned to a C, then just transpose the kick down two semitones so it will be tuned up with the song youve already started.

Hope this answers all your questions

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:04 am

thanks for the reply........ :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

turrican

Post by turrican » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:45 am

hi,

2)I got a bcr and it receives the changes from live and changes the the LED for instance.
You should choose the BCF as remote controll surface ( midi in/out, dump the SysEx needed by the dump button (be sure to use a free preset on BCF couse everthing on the current preet gets overwritten)) in the preferences and activate the corresponding button in the column remote controll. That should do it.

3) Any tendencial triole quant. like shuffle takes no effekt if the notes are on 4/4.