What makes ableton better than other software.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Untight15

What makes ableton better than other software.

Post by Untight15 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:43 pm

I am really considering getting ableton to dj with and possibly get into production. I currently use traktor and i like it alot but am interested in finding out what advantages are there to be had using either ableton alone or combining it with my traktor setup and this seemed like the place to find out.

I may be wrong but it seems that in oredr to benefit from launching clips and loops in live you need to do alot of prep before hand?

I wuold be delighted to find out how you guys are combining ableton with other software if anyone is?

I also know that hawtin among other djs are benefiting from combining traktor/serato and live. Does anyone know what they are using the two programs for and how they combine them together. eg just effects from live or loop/clips etc.

cheers

McQ714

Re: What makes ableton better than other software.

Post by McQ714 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:49 pm

of course there's prep work to be done... but warping a track is easier than setting up cue points in dj software. Live's not as good as dj software if you're just going to play entire songs through and doesn't have as much control on the nudging you can get with traktor or the likes... but the effects possibilities and rearranging and looping are 2nd to none.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:54 pm

I think most people use live for production, and tractor for dj ing. I´d say ableton gets interesting when you do an act rather than simple dj ing. for more elaborate stuff you know. for standard dj ing tractor offers a lot of possibilities already. I´d recommend to use live if there is something specific that you want to do and you reach the limits of tractor.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:54 pm

session view is where it rocks.

there doesn't have to be prep work, just record instruments live into clips. as you fill clips play with new combinations and 'capture and insert scene' them into new scenes.

or take loops from a Library and drop them into tracks, ALL of them, don't search. then just start launching loops, as you find good combinations, capture and insert scene.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm

McQ714 wrote: and rearranging and looping are 2nd to none.
I beg to differ on the looping aspect. In Traktor you can punch in a loop point wherever you want to on the fly as well as change it's length quickly down to something like 1/32 note and also set loop points to jump to on the fly. With Live that's all a bunch of prep work and multiple clips.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:10 pm

beats me wrote:
I beg to differ on the looping aspect. In Traktor you can punch in a loop point wherever you want to on the fly as well as change it's length quickly down to something like 1/32 note and also set loop points to jump to on the fly. With Live that's all a bunch of prep work and multiple clips.
but if you miss that punch in by 1/16th, then it's all f'ed up, no??? with DJ software, it's all about your timing. with Live it doesn't have to be. or does traktor have a global quantise feature??? i already said there would be prep work but i think Live makes that easier than dj software does.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:14 pm

let's not discuss Live's shortcomings, though!!!

wait a minute, that's all we do in most threads!

it's a great app and has many strengths.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:18 pm

McQ714 wrote:
beats me wrote:
but if you miss that punch in by 1/16th, then it's all f'ed up, no??? with DJ software, it's all about your timing. with Live it doesn't have to be. or does traktor have a global quantise feature??? i already said there would be prep work but i think Live makes that easier than dj software does.
Ableton Live: When your timing is complete shit. :) Vinyl and CDs are even less forgiving and flexible.

It's all a matter of taste but most that use both Live and Traktor would say Traktor is closer to traditional DJing and IMO the on the fly flow is much better if you're not trying to do overly complex things, but even then there's some pretty complex sets done on Traktor on youtube. Sorry no links.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 pm

There is no "better than" in this case, only "different".

I use it for two things:

* session view (foremost)
* warp

if none of those impress you, look around at a few others.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 pm

I use live in conjunction with turntables (Once I can afford them) I really use it for DJing because I bought it for production and it can do live dj set to. Works well enough for me.
Because Whatever.

Untight15

Post by Untight15 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:31 pm

I think the looping function in traktor is pretty advanced and does allow you to cut tracks up as opposed to playing entire tracks through.

I have a xone 92 mixer and know that i can continue to play 4 decks from traktor through the main 4 channels and then route 2 traktor channels through the aux channels for routing through lives effects, as well as just being an additional two channels from ableton.

I know this is probably pretty unneccessary due to traktors in built effects etc but iin the spirit of just messing around with the software it interests me. However, not knowing much about live, what sort of things would i be able to do with the additional two channels from ableton?

When you talk of loops what are you actually reffering to? just making a loop from a full track or just playing sample audio clips?

cperezzzzz

Post by cperezzzzz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Live has the better BUGZZZ than any other software. That's why i downloaded it. oops,bought it.
voted MOST POPULAR FORUM MEMBER 2009.

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Download the demo. You have 14 days to decide if you heart it.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

j2j

Post by j2j » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm

cperezzzzz wrote:Live has the better BUGZZZ than any other software. That's why i downloaded it. oops,bought it.

??

Any crack is going to be riddled with bugs. And have no updates. If you are using a crack, all you are doing is making the software more expensive for those who prefer to buy, and giving yourself the headache of something that does not work proper, as it has been cracked.

Buy software! Don't joke on this. It wastes all our time.
too many lasers...

cperezzzzz

Post by cperezzzzz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:54 pm

j2j wrote:
cperezzzzz wrote:Live has the better BUGZZZ than any other software. That's why i downloaded it. oops,bought it.

??

Any crack is going to be riddled with bugs. And have no updates. If you are using a crack, all you are doing is making the software more expensive for those who prefer to buy, and giving yourself the headache of something that does not work proper, as it has been cracked.

Buy software! Don't joke on this. It wastes all our time.
i bought.i downloaded,i patched. It's all good.
so yea guyzzz,like j2j said,don't be using cracked versions. You are costing us more money. Be honest out there. There are no short cuts in life.
voted MOST POPULAR FORUM MEMBER 2009.