Genelec 6010A - anyone using?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
David

Genelec 6010A - anyone using?

Post by David » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:44 am

Hello...

I was wondering if anyone was using the Genelec 6010A and if so, any views on them? They seem like they might work well for a small computer based setup?

http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/6010a/

Cheers,
David

SubFunk

Re: Genelec 6010A - anyone using?

Post by SubFunk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:29 am

Not using them myself (i use 8030s at home) but i know the 6010s and they are the best thing your money can buy if you are after a tiny size of speakers, the most amazing thing about genelec is how homogene the level of performance and quality is in there range from the tiniest model to there flushmount wallsystems...
not even remotely reached from any other speaker manufacturer.
*** Image GAFM ***

Pathos V2

Post by Pathos V2 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:47 am

I´ve been using 1 pair of Genelec 1031 for 14 yeras now - they never gave me any problem and are performing totally reliable since day one. And I sometimes listen at very high levels with lots of bass :-)

I do not know the newer models personally, but hear and read a lot of positive feedback.

purplesnet

Post by purplesnet » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 am

I was thinking of getting them, but ended up getting 8020a's instead. They're also small but have
a more neutral sound than 6010 which seem to more geared towards multimedia apps than monitoring.

Quote from Sound on Sound:

Overall I think that Genelec’s 6010A/5040A combination is a well-engineered package that meets the needs of multimedia applications very neatly. You get an attention-grabbing, dynamic, larger-than-life sound in a small, smart, rugged system that affords lots of setup flexibility, including 5.1 surround management and level control. In addition, it is voiced much more along the lines of a studio monitor than a lot of multimedia systems from less thoroughbred stables, and may appeal more to studio denizens as a result.

The needs of multimedia are, however, to a certain extent at odds with those of recording and mixing, where more revealing and less flattering tools tend to be required. As such, I’m not sure that this system is particularly well suited to the small studio production environment, despite the considerable appeal of its sound on a purely subjective level (particularly if you like that forward mid-range tone). If mixing is a first-time buyer’s foremost priority, then their money might be better spent on a more neutral-sounding system that isn’t as eager to please.

David

Post by David » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the reply's...

They definitely sound like they will do the job at a high standard... perhaps if I was wanting to do a bit more serious mixing then maybe the model up from them would be better, but for pure fun and enjoyment and a nice sound, even for some semi-pro mixing I think they would be a great option. I've been doing some more reading about them and I think, even though they are small, they still pack a fairly strong punch. Mmmmh, difficult to decide because the model up might be better in the lomg run.... anyway, maybe I'll try and hear them somewhere....

Cheers!
David

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:21 pm

I set them up for a friend recently and even with the sub, nice but not enough for studio monitors (if you familiar with Genelecs). I was bit disappointed, expected bit more from them. 8020 even without sub will do better.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 pm

David wrote:Thanks for the reply's...

They definitely sound like they will do the job at a high standard... perhaps if I was wanting to do a bit more serious mixing then maybe the model up from them would be better, but for pure fun and enjoyment and a nice sound, even for some semi-pro mixing I think they would be a great option. I've been doing some more reading about them and I think, even though they are small, they still pack a fairly strong punch. Mmmmh, difficult to decide because the model up might be better in the lomg run.... anyway, maybe I'll try and hear them somewhere....

Cheers!
David
if you can then sure thing! go with the 8020s
*** Image GAFM ***

David

Post by David » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 pm

SubFunk wrote:
David wrote:Thanks for the reply's...

Cheers!
David
if you can then sure thing! go with the 8020s
:D