Live performance/Mastering question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
computercontrolled

Live performance/Mastering question

Post by computercontrolled » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Iim quite messed up on what to do with my live performance files, heres the deal...i bounce down into 4 stems (kick,bass,percs,synths n fx)and arrange them into scenes (similar to toms cosm setup) i insert t-racks in the master channel, load a "mastering" patch i did, jut to raise volume and some slight eq and comp., then i just solo the files i want to export, ive noticed some stems get more volume when rendered...so i dont know if what im doing its ok or should i render with no mastering plug in and instead insert an eq,comp and limiter in the master channel of my live set session?

capo-wear-i

Re: Live performance/Mastering question

Post by capo-wear-i » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:01 pm

computercontrolled wrote:Iim quite messed up on what to do with my live performance files, heres the deal...i bounce down into 4 stems (kick,bass,percs,synths n fx)and arrange them into scenes (similar to toms cosm setup) i insert t-racks in the master channel, load a "mastering" patch i did, jut to raise volume and some slight eq and comp., then i just solo the files i want to export, ive noticed some stems get more volume when rendered...so i dont know if what im doing its ok or should i render with no mastering plug in and instead insert an eq,comp and limiter in the master channel of my live set session?
The last one - you'll have more flexibility. Just make the effort to get the drum mixes sounding balanced without any mastering EQ on them. Maybe have a look at shaving some stuff below 30hz - it'll eat up headroom.