Ibanez electric guitar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Atomikat

Re: Ibanez electric guitar?

Post by Atomikat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 am

Beats !!! Try a Parker Guitar...that would be like "getting a Mac" (in certain context), and they also have a "cheap line" ( P series ). :mrgreen:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 am

My shout is for the Yamaha Pacifica too.

$400 is not going to get you much Ibanez as the cheaper models don't have the decent PUs and sound pretty ropey generally. I don't think the S Series have the Di Marzios do they?

the Yamaha ftw in the price range.

Spikee

Post by Spikee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:18 am

+1 for Yamahas and taking the guitar to a luthier for a good setup, you'll get the best bang for your buck there. I owned a Pacifica for a number of years, and also lent it to a friend for recording sessions on an album. Everything was stock on it, actually bought it for $70 because its previous owner wore the springs on the bridge out and it far outplayed its cost. I finally was able to buy the guitar of my dreams this year (American Standard Fender Jazzmaster) but I still pull it out from time to time.

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi All!

Whoa - It's my first post . . . I guess I am no longer a lurker! I must say - this has got to be the most active, entertaining, and useful community I've ever seen. I'm glad you all exist, or I'd have long since killed my employers (a practice frowned on in these parts)! Of course they'd kill me if they knew how much time I am wasting, er, investing, reading all your posts . . .

On the subject of guitars, I have to +1 the Parker, I got one from ebay (330$) and it is a marvel. Playable setup out of the box, and the most articulate and open sounding pickups I have ever known - I am in love with this guitar, and I didn't really expect that! If your basic Tele is a Buick, then this thing is a Ferarri! Coil-tap humbuckers give it a huge variety of tones, and they neck heel is super smooth and comfortable. It is my favorite guitar ever, and I have had quite a few!

Times have changed a lot since I started playing (30 years now) - crappy was all you could get for cheap back in the last century, but now you can't really go too wrong in your price range.

Cheers, All!

damien6

Post by damien6 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Buying used is a good policy as long as you know what you're looking for. Most of my guitars were purchased used and I've never had problems with any of them.

In your price range, I'd also consider a Schecter. They're good guitars that aren't over priced. I have two (Damien 6 and Hellraiser FR). They're a bit heavy and the necks are a bit larger than the two Ibanez guitars I won (RG321 and S470), but they play smooth and they are well built.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Wow, now I feel like I started a "what PC?" thread. I wish Apple made guitars because then I'd just buy 1 of whatever 1 or 2 pieces of hype they have out there.

Maybe I need to hire a guitarist to go shopping with me because other then the general comfort and feel for me I really don't know what I would be looking for or listening for on the spot at a store. Also I picture used guitars somewhat holding their value like cars. If it's a great guitar then I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper unless it has problems and then you're going to be shoveling out more money on the back end like a car, or a free pet.

Not really interested in a MIDI guitar at the moment...as fun as that may be. Part of this is getting away from keyboard sounds.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Humbuckers in cheap Ibanez guitars are horrible.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:45 pm

I would take a look at some of the Paul Reed Smith SE models. I think their quality with woods and construction on the low end is as good or better than any, and it's a good option especially if you would consider replacing the pickups.

btw if you are interested in an Ibanez for the trem, I suggest spending some time with a stop tail type of guitar... tuning, and bending strings before you make your final decision..

I spent a long time looking for good trem guitars and eventually realized I prefer non-trem guitars overall ><

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 pm

+ 1 for the Ibanez S series. Assuming you're o.k with a locking nut whammy.

I have an S670FM (A fancy wood version of an S470) It cost € 415. It's not quite like my old PRS but it's lot of guitar for the money.

Though I generally prefer a single coil on the neck p/u (S670FM = H/S/H) still, it's very versatile.

Tuning stability is excellent. Neck and fretting are first class. Comfortable to wear. Light enough to carry on my back in a softcase in addition to laptop through airports.
OvertoneZero wrote: Humbuckers in cheap Ibanez guitars are horrible.
That's clearly a matter of opinion.
Tone Deft wrote: then get a stand and NEVER put the thing back in its case.
+ 1 Good advice.

Guitar cases are for transportation.

Cheers,
bagginz

http://guitare.playback-europe.com/iban ... 12501.html

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Rave wrote:dust and electronics = bad
not true.

playing = dusting

do you keep your couches wrapped in plastic?

I've kept my guitars out for years, run a duster over them if they get dusty. I have a john gordon for sale if you need a studio slave.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Rave wrote:dust and electronics = bad
not true.

playing = dusting

do you keep your couches wrapped in plastic?

I've kept my guitars out for years, run a duster over them if they get dusty. I have a john gordon for sale if you need a studio slave.
I think I'll hang mine on the wall, keep floor space clear and I don't have to worry about tripping over it. I assume that counts.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:24 pm

People are are already saying used, and I agree. 400 bucks will get you a sweet used Ibanez. Most of my guitars are Ibanez. I love RGs, I own a Universe, and used to own an ex series, I think it was a step below the RG at the time, but it rocked until my girlfriend, who is now my wife, stepped on it and broke the headstock off. It was my fault, no case, under a pile of clothes. I have been playing Ibanez guitars live for over 6 years, just about every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 times, and for the money, I don't think they can be beat.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:35 pm

You can have a used Ibanez, or a new Yamaha Pacifica for 400 bucks.

My vote with the Yamaha - IMHO their guitars really are the best, have the nicest playing action, and great tone. I've had my Pacifica 112 (a cheapy sub 200 bucks guitar which sounds like a 600 dollar guitar) for 12 years and my Pacifica 412 (a 400 dollar guitar which sounds like a 1200 dollar guitar) for 8 years and never had an ounce of trouble with them. I also have a Yamaha BB4 nII jazz bass, which is the dogs nuts and better than anything else in it's range.

Ibanez are also good, but don't buy one without trying a Yamaha Pacifica first. I would buy a Pacifica 812 before anything else, including custom Fenders and Gibsons etc. if I were rich. Then I would buy a vintage Les Paul. Also beware some guitar salesmen, Yamaha are not as widely carried in North America, so salesmen on a commission will point you to whatever they have most of in stock and need to move.

Schecter also make some nice guitars worth looking at. Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits often uses them.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Sage wrote:Humbuckers in cheap Ibanez guitars are horrible.
This isn't really a matter of opinion, IMO, it's pretty well known. The nezzes with the cheap PUs are really pretty ordinary guitars. Best avoided IMO.

I agree. avoid cheap ibanezes! Guaranteed you'll sell it inside a year.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 pm

I've never owned a bad Ibanez; I've had seven of them and still own two.
Most Yamahas I've never been that fond of; I don't like their neck shape. The one exception for me is their mid-late '70s SG series; those were (and still are) wonderful guitars.

For your price range- definitely go used. Some other used options are the higher end MIJ Jacksons (what used to be called their Professional series, and now called Pro), higher end MIJ Charvels, mid '80s Kramers and the like. The PRS SE suggestion was also a good one.

ew