it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

will you upgrade again knowing you'll be buying a buggy product?

nope
60%
yeah that sounds like fun
40%

Total votes: 98

john doe by choice

Re: it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Post by john doe by choice » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

I'd like to upgrade and actually have the money to do so right now, but it does seem that everyone here is split as to whether it works for them - some people rave that it has no problems whatsoever, and some people bitch about it non stop.

I think that the bug/compatibility complaints would have to drop below more than 20% of comments made re: L8 before I'd throw down the money, and even then, I'd probably wait to get a copy second hand since the student discount is no longer in effect (just because I have the money right now to get the upgrade doesn't mean that I can afford to not be frugal with my money).

Honestly, I want M4L real bad, but I don't want to get into it unless 8 is stable, and who knows if that stability is going to come before the release of M4L. If it's not stable by then, the release of M4L could make issues way worse than they are now (emphasis on could, because I can't honestly say that I know that for sure).

emef

Post by emef » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 pm

opinion isn't really split though is it
ableton have a huge user base
a fair sized bunch of people are having problems
a much bigger bunch of people are happily using live8 and dont need to post their problems with it cos they haven't got any

it seems obvious to me that anyone wanting to try live8 should download the demo/beta
if it works buy it
if it doesn't, dont

stressing about other peoples experience of live 8 is pointless
unless you have the exact same computer, plugins, soundcard as them

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:this is just an endless cycle of buying the new release that is buggy as shit and then suffering with it for months on end until it's finally stable a few months before the new version is released, every year it's the same damn story. next year I don't upgrade till there is a decent stable version out I don't care if I have to wait 8 months after release to get it, they don't get my money till they make it work right PERIOD!
since you obviously have the same experience for some years now, did you try the 14 days free demo license this year?..

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:25 pm

I got off the automatic upgrading merry-go-round many years ago. Live 7's running great for me, and for now there's nothing in L8 that's even tempting me.

Hype, peer pressure and online drunkeness... the triple threat to upgrade avoidance. :)
Image Image

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm

In general the latest beta's have been STABLE for me, but Live 8 still seems a little more sluggish and it feels like I run out of CPU power easier than I used to. Start up times in 8 are slower, redraws are occasionally slower, and moving things around the interface just feels a little slower. I think the most striking thing for me is the CPU issue though. I get pops and clicks easier than before, and certainly MUCH easier than in Logic or Studio One. Granted, this is with some heavy plug ins like Omnisphere and Stylus RMX, but the difference in the number of instances I can run is very noticeable. Never really seemed to be the case with Live 7.

Maybe it's just my perception though.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm ahead of you because I still haven't upgraded to 8. Also I'm thinking between 8 still being reported buggy this late in the year and M4L still not out that there may not be a 9 next year which is good cause we could all use a breather.

But at the same time we need early adopter fanboys to help them work through the bugs on the next release. Don't be upset, just don't be an early (or at this point late) adopter.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:16 pm

I have had virtually no problems with Live since v2 UNTIL now. I get crashes about once a day. I was adjusting fades yesterday and BAM...crash. Couldn't even recover work because it would crash immediately. I'd send a crash report but time is money and I don't have the time to try to figure out what caused the crash and send in a report. I still love Live of course, but I miss the days when I could honestly say Live never crashed.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:41 pm

pepezabala wrote:software crashes, guitars get out of tune, drummers get drunk, faders crackle, the needle jumps.
music technology is prone to fail.
... and the world will follow. :(
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm

I will definitely not be updating to Live 9 when it comes out. I'll be waiting a few releases before buying- probably a few months.

Although I have crashes all the time currently with Live 8, I don't regret getting it because I really wanted certain features that would really change the way I set up my sets, so I figured I'd rather start immediately on that. Specifically, the new plug-in configuration was really going to change how I set up my software instruments and racks. I could be wrong, but I don't foresee something in Live 9 having that big of an impact on how I organize a live set, so I'll just wait on that. I'm quite happy with my hardware/software control now in Live, which I never quite was before so now I feel that I can really hold off on an update until it's stable.
Professional Shark Jumper.

d-track

Post by d-track » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:53 pm

nothing new here.
the same shit with live 7.
7.0.1 was totally unusable and full buggy. not for live acts, but even for serious studio work.
i decided to buy 8 under the "if you buy 7 now then you'll get 8 for free" campaign.
i tried 8 and it was pure hell. i stucked mainly with L7. (7.0.15)
am waiting for 8.0.5 then i will give it a try. i still believe. yet.
i am waiting for M4L but that will be the real suffer in its first half year... yeah.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Live 8 for me is stable on both my macs.
Moreover, my wife which is also a musician,
has showed some interest in Ableton Live and she's making
music with it even if she's far from being computer junkie.
She moved from Live 7 to Live 8.0.4 and she noticed only
a slower start and a slower quit but no crashes at all.
Maybe Macs are Macs after all and Live 8 works fine (Live Suite,
only Zebra as VST). I had a crash with 8.0.1 demo and I decided to
stay on Live 7 for a while then with 8.0.4 I decided it was the right
time to start with Live 8. We use Live as separate users with a common
Library to make music but no live performance.
At the beginning 8.0.1 was not certainly ready but now at least for me is.
:)
- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Nope, just got 8 and it's too buggy for a final product. I'm not even getting M4L until it is proven here to be extremely stable w/ whatever version of 8 is out. I just hope that 8 is stable enough for me to gig in a couple months...
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 pm

necho wrote:I'm happily using Live 7.

My experience with the Virus Ti OS (which is now stable, apparently) taught me NEVER to buy/upgrade until the forum complaints have dropped off completely.

I've demo'd Live 8 and I love the new Operator features and the warping engine. But for the price of upgrading, I want something stable.

Thats not true with ableton... the praise is allover and problems are brushed below the carpet.. first is related to the high amount of beginners in abletons userbase.. its not a pro studio daw like protools or logic...
second is probably standard german marketing..we have seen the same behaviour with eamgic for example...

however ..seeing the anual fee for live of 100..and now 150 euros..and comparing it with what you pay for other daw´s results in the phenomen that live is over the time the most expensiv daw of them all...

sofar i still hve paid more for logic...but this wil change next year..

productio wise logic has paid better of.. i still use it for surround stuff and midi komposition... 2 fields where live is still inferior
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:46 pm

In general, I don't like to pay to be a beta tester. When I put my money down I'm looking for stability. That's my number one feature. That's why I'm still on version 7. I hadn't planned on buying version 8 until late fall. All-in-all I try and do all my upgrades where I can give the devs enough time to work out the bugs.

In doing it this way I am, more often than not, satisfied with my purchases.

michael4u

Post by michael4u » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I was happy with live 7 but i think there is something problem with live 8..it is unstable.
Can anybody knows the reason of this. Vista is installed on my laptop.