it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

will you upgrade again knowing you'll be buying a buggy product?

nope
60%
yeah that sounds like fun
40%

Total votes: 98

Johnisfaster

it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 am

this is just an endless cycle of buying the new release that is buggy as shit and then suffering with it for months on end until it's finally stable a few months before the new version is released, every year it's the same damn story. next year I don't upgrade till there is a decent stable version out I don't care if I have to wait 8 months after release to get it, they don't get my money till they make it work right PERIOD!

sign this thread and join me in telling ableton that they don't get our money until they make it work right.

SIGNED: Johnisfaster
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

necho

Re: it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Post by necho » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 am

I'm happily using Live 7.

My experience with the Virus Ti OS (which is now stable, apparently) taught me NEVER to buy/upgrade until the forum complaints have dropped off completely.

I've demo'd Live 8 and I love the new Operator features and the warping engine. But for the price of upgrading, I want something stable.
_________
sigs suck.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:01 am

necho wrote:NEVER to buy/upgrade until the forum complaints have dropped off completely.
not sure if that's the right strategy; this forum does not represent Live's whole userbase and complaints are always louder than praise..

emef

Post by emef » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 am

there must be something wrong with my laptop
cos live 8 is very stable on it
i want my money back

discoworx

Post by discoworx » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:28 am

WELL!, for my 2 cents worth, ableton 8 IS A DISASTER, I had absolutely NO problems with Ableton until 8, code is screwed somewhere along the line, and its up to ableton NOT to go along Steinbergs route of putting out unreliable, buggy, fault laden software, and i have been using both these software packages for as long as they both have existed.

My screen sluggishness,and inability to follow the on screen scrolling makes Ableton absolutley useless. i dont normally shout about stuff,but I am like the original poster, just sick and tired of Buggy software. i mean in the REAL world if you bought a faulty product you had the option of your money back, but software wise this just aint a reality, and it is definately played on.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:54 am

Just out of curiosity. People having issues with GFX and CPU usage, you aren't using "integrated graphics" by any chance?
Like Intel GMA950 for example.

I'm running such a system and I find its faster in most cases. But my old G5 outperforms it on the graphic side.
Live looking slower on these systems doesn't actually mean Live changed that much. Or maybe it did, with the zooming..
At any rate, I can run more tracks on this Mac Mini than I could on a dual G5.
But its also very easy to bring the mini to its knees with graphical tasks.
Maybe these half-assed graphics cards are the problem.

The new models with Nvidea GFX are better on paper. But is there anybody who has/had both who can feel a difference?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 am

While I have felt that 8 has been unstable until the latest bug fix betas, Oddly enough I have had to use "industry standard" "pro" software recently for working on a video project - i.e. Final cut pro and Soundtrack Pro - and both of them have been astonishingly unreliable. I mean they have been crashing repeatedly and unlike Live they don't retrieve the last set from the undo memory.

I have definitely had problems with Live 8, but my experience with these "pro" apps has been far worse. I also had a lot of problems with Vegas before I switched to Mac.

the conclusion I would draw from this though is that it has a lot to do with the hardware. Final cut/soundtrack are really intended to be used with high end video gear - which I don't have

I would imagine that the problems some people are still having with Live would be something similar - different hardware/driver configs make things very difficult to troubleshoot, which is why it is best if people who are still having problems can give detailed bug reports to help isolate the problems.

To their credit, Ableton are far more responsive to this than someone like Apple, Sony or even Steinberg.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 am

software crashes, guitars get out of tune, drummers get drunk, faders crackle, the needle jumps.
music technology is prone to fail.

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:24 am

poster wrote:
necho wrote:NEVER to buy/upgrade until the forum complaints have dropped off completely.
not sure if that's the right strategy; this forum does not represent Live's whole userbase and complaints are always louder than praise..
allthough that is true. i found forums to be most of the time pretty well representative...
way more info than expert reviews etc.

eg. when i'm interested in a computer game i solely check out the user forums. personal taste differs of course, but some really annoying hindering stuff is immediately visivble.

actually the complaits about ableton live stability here on the forum are a nice representative of how full of stupid buggs this software is.

as a matter of fact: 'stable code' my arse.

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

I had absolutely no problems with Ableton until version 8.
But now I will never buy a new version before the endless after-release beta testing is done.

creature

Post by creature » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 am

I havn't gone to live 8 yet as had problem when going to live 7 initially. I will probs wait until next year before upgrading and my current projects are finished.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 am

Vibrations wrote:I had absolutely no problems with Ableton until version 8.
But now I will never buy a new version before the endless after-release beta testing is done.
i am with you... i don't have many complaints but the occasional crash and the cpu at around 70% when dealing with 14- channels are more than enough for me, specially since i was fine on 7.

ernene

Post by ernene » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:30 pm

pepezabala wrote:software crashes, guitars get out of tune, drummers get drunk, faders crackle, the needle jumps.
music technology is prone to fail.

wise 8O But anyway, L8 is not that buggy as many say... for me at least. I've always seen people cry for a stable version, and saying it's the buggiest version ever... always the same thing.... Sorry for those who can not make music with this soft... but with my imac intel 2,16 (2 years old) on Mac os x 10.4.11, I'm having no relevant problems. I make music and have lots of fun with Live as always :D Maybe I'm a lucky guy... who doesn't look for perfection, but having a good time doing what I love :roll: :)

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:48 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Just out of curiosity. People having issues with GFX and CPU usage, you aren't using "integrated graphics" by any chance?
Like Intel GMA950 for example.
in my laptop i got a graphics chip with dedicated memory. still i got issues with live 8.. but none graphics-wise. integrated chips using shared memory from the ram surely can cause problems.
i got random crashes all the time, unfortunately i haven't figured out yet what causes them (well, they are random ;)).
but live 8 crashes on a regular basis, while all versions i had installed on the same machine ran rock solid before.

i know that live 8 can run very stable, as it does for my bandmate.. he's got a new laptop though, with faster cpu and bus. hopefully my new laptop that i'll buy in 2 months will have the same effect for me.
ThinkPad T500,Core 2 Duo T9600 (2x2,8GHz)/3GB RAM/Radeon HD3650/FireWire 410/WinXP SP3 32bit
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz/4GB RAM/GeForce GTX460/ESI U24 XL/Win7 x64
Ableton Live 8/energyXT2/APC40/MPKmini/LaunchPad/TriggerFinger
http://www.bitmud.com

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Live was really running stable but since i bought the IK T-Racks group buy plugin and use them quiet frequently in my tracks i get crashes VERY often. Sometimes like every 10 minutes, it´s really frustrating. Before i used these plugin i had no problems at all, using three UAD1 and one UAD2 Quad.
Can´t say i am not upgrading as Live is / was really running stable on my Win XP SP3 PC.
Last edited by mr.adl on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.