Dear Abes: any official word regarding OS X Snow Leopard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slirak

Dear Abes: any official word regarding OS X Snow Leopard?

Post by slirak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 am

Compatibility?
Will you (eventually) make use of any of the news, like the 64 bit architecture, GCD, OpenCL? Roadmap for any of that?

SubFunk

Re: Dear Abes: any official word regarding OS X Snow Leopard?

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 pm

+1
*** Image GAFM ***

bytemission

Post by bytemission » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 pm

+1

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:29 pm

It's currently being tested internally over here, so the current version is not officially compatible yet - on the other hand this does not mean that it doesn't run.

We will release an update after the tests during the next weeks that will be officially compatible, but we don't recommend upgrading yet if stability is your main concern.
It's likely that a few new third party plugin problems will show up due to the changes under the hood in 10.6 and experiences show that the latest 10.5 versions now are the way to go after the gfx performance problems with earlier 10.5 and 10.4 versions.

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm

thanks for the info, jeez i so can't wait to get onto snow leopard... it sounds like a dream... once it's all working.
*** Image GAFM ***

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 pm

SubFunk wrote:thanks for the info, jeez i so can't wait to get onto snow leopard... it sounds like a dream... once it's all working.
nah, hold your horses. 10.5 was already released 2007 and you upgraded just weeks ago... give 10.6 some time and slap some more EPs out after all your 10.4 performance problems, you seem to be in the zone right now, use it!
my biggest hope for 10.6 is actually that the crappy finder finally got some serious attention, as they claim so.
if you ask me personally this is the biggest single drawback in osx since it exists.

cheers,
dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:48 pm

dom wrote:
SubFunk wrote:thanks for the info, jeez i so can't wait to get onto snow leopard... it sounds like a dream... once it's all working.
nah, hold your horses. 10.5 was already released 2007 and you upgraded just weeks ago... give 10.6 some time and slap some more EPs out after all your 10.4 performance problems, you seem to be in the zone right now, use it!
my biggest hope for 10.6 is actually that the crappy finder finally got some serious attention, as they claim so.
if you ask me personally this is the biggest single drawback in osx since it exists.

cheers,
dom
yeah, but i was stupid and for some strange reasons, guess my small brain had a failure, i went from 10.5.7 which was very good to 10.5.8 (usually i stick to don't change a running system) and since i have massive fan and heat problems, he is not ever under 60-65 degrees and the fan runs permanently over at least 4000rpm... hmmphhh...
i tried anything i could find to resolve, without luck... unless someone knows a cure, please chime in...

guess this is one of the reasons i want to move away from 10.5.8....
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:52 pm

FunkySub (and others) some people once said this about windows vista ..... and look what happened !!

Jeepers - give it some time, let it bed in. I don't understand all these freaks who must be the first to run alpha or beta versions of software, especially something as crucial as an o/s, usually when they had a superbly stable setup already to trade it in for being an unpaid bug tester for a flaky system (and then live in denial and claim 'it's the best, most stable, ever') If this was the case no-one would release bugfixes or service packs :)

Apple themselves launched Logic 9 early so that they wouldn't have to unleash a new all 64 bit app to a a new all 64 bit o/s which could have nightmarish proportions of failure, so let it settle down quickly. Depending on when Live's next release is, snow leopard and full 64 bit support will feature in Live 9 or Live 10.

Many people are still running 32 bit versions of Sonar and Cubase on their 64 bit o/s because of stuff like poor 64 bit drivers, plugins not working even with bit bridge, and the 32 bit apps run like champions in that 64 bit environment and allow you access to 4GB RAM, more than enough for most home users, instead of the 2GB win XP allowed. And Leopard already allows 4GB ram access too.

My mother would have lapped me silly if I bugged her continually to stand in line to be the first to buy anything and being cheap, she would probably not allow me to buy something until it was slashed in price because a new model was coming along soon.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:58 pm

leedsquietman wrote:FunkySub (and others) some people once said this about windows vista ..... and look what happened !!

Jeepers - give it some time, let it bed in. I don't understand all these freaks who must be the first to run alpha or beta versions of software, especially something as crucial as an o/s, usually when they had a superbly stable setup already to trade it in for being an unpaid bug tester for a flaky system (and then live in denial and claim 'it's the best, most stable, ever') If this was the case no-one would release bugfixes or service packs :)

Apple themselves launched Logic 9 early so that they wouldn't have to unleash a new all 64 bit app to a a new all 64 bit o/s which could have nightmarish proportions of failure, so let it settle down quickly. Depending on when Live's next release is, snow leopard and full 64 bit support will feature in Live 9 or Live 10.

Many people are still running 32 bit versions of Sonar and Cubase on their 64 bit o/s because of stuff like poor 64 bit drivers, plugins not working even with bit bridge, and the 32 bit apps run like champions in that 64 bit environment and allow you access to 4GB RAM, more than enough for most home users, instead of the 2GB win XP allowed. And Leopard already allows 4GB ram access too.

My mother would have lapped me silly if I bugged her continually to stand in line to be the first to buy anything and being cheap, she would probably not allow me to buy something until it was slashed in price because a new model was coming along soon.
yeah, you are right... snow, with the promised speed enhancement is just so tempting... and i gave another reason why i want to leave 10.5.8 as fast as possible... but hey you are 100% right.

i will have to wait, just hope i manage a cure for the heat issue... funny the first OS trouble i encounter since i am on mac...
maybe 10.5.8 is a conspiracy to drive people quickly to 10.6... LOL
*** Image GAFM ***

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 pm

SubFunk wrote:
yeah, you are right... snow, with the promised speed enhancement is just so tempting... and i gave another reason why i want to leave 10.5.8 as fast as possible... but hey you are 100% right.
the promised speed enhancements only refer to their own stuff, like finder and preview becoming more responsive, faster time machine backups, faster sleep,wakeup etc.
there's nothing that will magically speed up Live.
SubFunk wrote: i will have to wait, just hope i manage a cure for the heat issue... funny the first OS trouble i encounter since i am on mac...
are you sure it runs hotter in general? can't confirm that yet with 10.5.8.
what i can confirm: the difference of the room temperature has quite an effect. difference between20 and 25°C plays a big role for my mbp.
maybe the sunny days in berlin during the last 10 days are to blame?

another thing i noticed: upgrading to 10.5.8 resulted in completely re-indexing spotlight.
it took ages and everything that my mbp can spin was spinning to the max.

cheers,
dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24 pm

dom wrote:It's currently being tested internally over here, so the current version is not officially compatible yet - on the other hand this does not mean that it doesn't run.

We will release an update after the tests during the next weeks that will be officially compatible, but we don't recommend upgrading yet if stability is your main concern.
It's likely that a few new third party plugin problems will show up due to the changes under the hood in 10.6 and experiences show that the latest 10.5 versions now are the way to go after the gfx performance problems with earlier 10.5 and 10.4 versions.

Best,
Dom

arrent the late 10.5 versions teh ones wher live is crashig all the time? will this be better in 10.6 or worse?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:25 pm

dom wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
the promised speed enhancements only refer to their own stuff, like finder and preview becoming more responsive, faster time machine backups, faster sleep,wakeup etc.
there's nothing that will magically speed up Live.
SubFunk wrote: i will have to wait, just hope i manage a cure for the heat issue... funny the first OS trouble i encounter since i am on mac...
are you sure it runs hotter in general? can't confirm that yet with 10.5.8.
what i can confirm: the difference of the room temperature has quite an effect. difference between20 and 25°C plays a big role for my mbp.
maybe the sunny days in berlin during the last 10 days are to blame?

another thing i noticed: upgrading to 10.5.8 resulted in completely re-indexing spotlight.
it took ages and everything that my mbp can spin was spinning to the max.

cheers,
dom
i thought first as well it's the heat here... but it seems strange... it started right after going 10.5.8 and woop... fan goes nuts temp goes nuts... even if no app is launched... right from the startup... i mean i have the MBP now close to 3 years and used it under very warm / hot conditions before...
it just does not reduce the fan action or heat (i am using istat) even in the cooler evenings or nights... hmmm...???

i think '80' has similar experiences...
*** Image GAFM ***

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Funny, I've noticed my 3 year old MPB fans coming on more easily too lately, though not what i would consider excessive. Hmmm...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:48 pm

is the recomandation for the latest 10.5 = 10.5.8 really a good one?

sofar i got the immage the everything above 10.5.6 might be problematic..

at least some other software was showing problems with versions above 10.5.6 and within the apple orientated forums quite some issues was reported... especially fan/heat issues was reported aswell..google a bit around... not everybody seems to be so happy with the latets 10.5

so shall we trust the dom?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

cids

Post by cids » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:54 pm

10.5.8 works fine...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2