Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
w1nt3rmut3

Re: New Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live 8

Post by w1nt3rmut3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 am

Well, I finally got this working. Sporkles, if you're still interested you may find that assigning the midi channels "backwards" will help. That is: User = ch. 4, FX = ch. 3, Inst = ch. 2, and Mixer = ch. 1. I don't know why it works but it does.

My question now is whether it is possible to have both Guile's script and Novation's own Ableton Nocturn script enabled at the same time. That way, you could do all the great stuff that Guile's script allows, while also controlling Ableton devices with the Novation script. I don't think it's possible, because you would have to enable both of the "Nocturn" entries in the Control Surface pulldown menu in preferences, and I don't think they can "share" the Automap MIDI connection. Has anyone had any success with this?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

w1nt3rmut3 wrote:Well, I finally got this working. Sporkles, if you're still interested you may find that assigning the midi channels "backwards" will help. That is: User = ch. 4, FX = ch. 3, Inst = ch. 2, and Mixer = ch. 1. I don't know why it works but it does.

My question now is whether it is possible to have both Guile's script and Novation's own Ableton Nocturn script enabled at the same time. That way, you could do all the great stuff that Guile's script allows, while also controlling Ableton devices with the Novation script. I don't think it's possible, because you would have to enable both of the "Nocturn" entries in the Control Surface pulldown menu in preferences, and I don't think they can "share" the Automap MIDI connection. Has anyone had any success with this?
Thanks for your suggestion; that probably explains why the controls weren't on the correct pages, but even when I
accepted that the controls weren't where they should be, it still didn't work properly for me. I find that for a concept
that should be so straightforward, Automap is actually quite confusing. I don't feel like messing up my preset again
just yet (I'm about to get a new computer too) - and I use the Nocturn with Traktor as well, so it's not worth the
hassle for me just now.

Cheers

w1nt3rmut3

Post by w1nt3rmut3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:28 am

OMG! I should have looked more carefully at Guile's script! It already controls the active Ableton device (on page 1 of the instrument map)! WOW!

fabs187

Post by fabs187 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:37 am

hi!
is there any new update? Could maybe some reupload the script?
Thx

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:29 am

Just got the remote mapping script working with my nocturn - unbelievably useful for controlling Live, can't believe I've spent 2 years under achieving with Midi Learn and a DIY user configuration. Thanks so much Guille for your work.

I downloaded the most recent script from Mediafire link on page 13 of this thread.

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:07 am

I have spent many hours of my life over the last 12 months trying to get this working.

Gonna uninstall automap pro and start again (although this hasn't worked previously...)

Couple questions to start with:

1. If using this script with nocturn AND launchpad, which channel do you put the Launchpad on? (assuming nocturn is assigned 1-4)
I want to be able to use launchpad in automap made for momentary controls, but it seemed to get confused with the nocturn script...

2. If working correctly, should this "remember" the mappings when you next open Live? I have managed to set up once, but when I reopen Live or a new project, I have 4 channels on the "Mixer" which all map to the same parameters!

Thanks in advance! :D

Pitchthrill

Post by Pitchthrill » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Is there still a way to download this script? i am really interested, but the link seems down :(

dev

Post by dev » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:10 am

bump :)

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:50 am

yes bump indeed. :)

still hoping someone may be able to help with my queries 2 posts above...
thanks.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:56 am

Just go back a page for the download link of the latest version.

11olsen

Post by 11olsen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm

@dengelman

1. are you sure you need automap for your launchpad?

2. yes, it should "remember" the mappings when you next open Live.
Last edited by 11olsen on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dengelman

Post by dengelman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

Thank-you guilermo, 11olsen and all!

It's early days but it seems to be working now on 8.2.5. About to do a thorough test.

I'm not sure but think one of the issues may have been I had some parameters (track volume etc) mapped to another controller (X-session pro).
I deleted all other mappings and for now it seems to be working. Hesitant to reintroduce the X-session pro but I really would like to use that for genreal EQing etc...

Now off to play!

w1nt3rmut3

Post by w1nt3rmut3 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I appears that this no longer works with the current beta of Automap 4. Whenever I try to turn the knob that is assigned to scroll through scenes, Automap 4 crashes. Hopefully, this is due to an Automap 4 bug that will be fixed, rather than a permanent incompatibility between this script and Automap 4.

Dean Corrie

Post by Dean Corrie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 am

It does work here. You need to reload the templates.
Check my post on the novation forum for issues I have found.
http://forum.novationmusic.com/viewtopi ... 82e056ce65

Cheers,
Dean

w1nt3rmut3

Post by w1nt3rmut3 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I have been reloading the templates. I've been forced to, actually, because with Automap 4 I am also again having the problem where MIDI channels lose their proper category (that is, User/FX/Inst./Mixer) and all bunch up into one category, with improper mapping.

So your Automap really doesn't crash when you use the knob set to scroll through scenes? I haven't tried all the knobs, but I think it might be specific to that one.