Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stevewhite99

Re: Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Post by stevewhite99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Guille's Nocturn scripts do work beautifully with Live 9.5.

You will need to manually install/reinstall the files in the MIDI Remote Scripts folder if you update from a previous version.

They are not available for selection in the control surface drop down menu in the 9.5.1 beta versions. I presume this remains true for the now released 9.6 full version, but I have not tested this.

d.coder

Post by d.coder » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:30 pm

stevewhite99 wrote:To clarify my earlier post about Guille's Nocturn remote scripts no longer working, this is in the 9.5.1 beta (with Ableton Link). It's an acknowledged issue with older remote scripts that use Python 2.5.

This means the scripts won't be working with the next release of Live and will need to be updated to work with Python 2.7. If anyone has any idea how to achieve this, then you will be a hero to me and presumably to anyone else who loves their Nocturn and only knows Python as a large snake.

Now that I've installed 9.6 I can see wht you mean 8O

Is there a fix to get the script working in the actual Live version?

allmodcons

Post by allmodcons » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm

The Nocturn script was working in 9.5..... looks like I will hold off on the 9.6 update :(

Schwartz

Post by Schwartz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:38 am

Just got a Novation Nocturn and I'm currently running 9.6.

Besides the Guille Script that I hope will work with 9.6 and higher, I've come across a couple other Nocturn hacks.

http://nckn.de/2009/08/tutorial-automap ... n-nocturn/
http://performodule.com/2015/08/09/the- ... eton-live/

I tried to follow the steps, but I can't find this file directory:
[Your home folder]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/[your version]/User Remote Scripts/

This looks interesting, too:
http://www.11olsen.de/code/max-objects/11nocturn

I'm on a Mac, though.

For me personally, I'd like to be able to speed or slow-down playback with the crossfader (if possible) (tempo) and/or scrub audio (fast-forward/rewind audio files). I'd like to move the transport with the speed dial. Are either of those requests possible? It would also be nice to use the Nocturn with an iPad, but I've found that does not work.

What should I reasonably expect for this thing to do? It looks too cool to not to be using all the buttons (Speed Dial has no function?)

It's kinda late, so hopefully what I wrote isn't a cluttered mess.

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Hello

Guille's scripts are not working in 9.6 as reported above. This is a great shame as they transformed the Nocturn into being able to control a great deal of Live.

However, your post has reminded me of my own journey into finding them in the first place. By using the user remote mapping you link to (http://nckn.de/2009/08/tutorial-automap ... n-nocturn/), at least allows the Nocturn's encoders to be used for device ('blue hand') control. Your second link is essentially a useful text file of what the first can do. Thanks to your prompt I've just re-enabled this mapping and can confirm it works in 9.6.

To answer your question of how to find the 'User remote scripts' folder, on a mac if you hold down the alt key when you click on 'Go' in the Finder menu bar, then the Library folder is revealed.

As well as using the 'blue hand' encoders, you can also use midi learn in Live to map the Nocturn's knobs, buttons and crossfader to specific controls.

As for the 'speed dial' - for some reason I thought this had stopped working with OSX ages ago - but it now appears to be working for me*** with OSX 10.9.5. It controls the knob your mouse points at, I don't think you can map it to a particular function.

***Edit - it does something, but not for long and erratically, so speed dial NOT working.

Your Max link looks useful for side-stepping Automap - Windows only though it seems... and perhaps life is too short.

Additionally, the Nocturn should still function as a plug in controller, though I've not tried this in Live 9.6.
Last edited by stevewhite99 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schwartz

Post by Schwartz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:25 pm

stevewhite99 wrote: To answer your question of how to find the 'User remote scripts' folder, if you hold down the Apple & alt keys when you click on 'Go' in the Finder menu bar, then the Library folder is revealed.
You pushed me to investigate a little further. I couldn't follow your steps exactly, but I found the User Remote Scripts folder.

/Users/yourusername + Ctrl/Click > Show View Options > Show Library Folder

So now I got to wait until I'm back home from work..!

Is there any issue with downloading an older version of Automap (like version 3.5) to use the speed dial with El Capitan? I might have to try it later and see. Even horizontal scrolling would be nice, which I've read it was able to do. It just seems silly to have the knob. Did the Guille script allow functionality of the Speed Dial?

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:21 pm

I've not had to think too much about Automap versions for a while. I've got 4.4.0 and it works fine (mavericks and el capitan) - I'm not sure I remember the same for previous versions.

My advice would be to forget the 'speed dial' - it seemed like a nice feature to begin with, but for me it's always been best to use the mouse as little as possible (using external controllers like Nocturn) and, as my mouse pointer would rarely be over the thing I wanted to control, I found I never used it in practice.

Good luck getting the other knobs working.

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Hello,

I can try to help with Nocturn script. Unfortunately I don't have controller itself so I probably need somebody to verify.
But I made custom Python scrips before and can try to help with a fix. If it is a matter of migration to different Python version - should be easy.

Can some controller owner clearly describe what kind of issue he/she see in Ableton 9.6?

1. Please exit Ableton and find your log file:
* /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/Log.txt (OSX)
* \Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\Log.txt (Windows)

2. Clean it (remove all text)
3. Start Ableton with controller connected and try to choose the script from Preferences dialog. If you can't - skip (4) and read below
4. Log file should now contains a lot of text. It would be helpful to see it.

If you don't see `Nocturn` in drop-down from Preferences dialog it's because you use *.pyc files (pre-compiled from earlier Python version).
It's very simple to fix. Basically all you need to do is to replace pre-compiled (.pyc) with source code (.py files) so Ableton may re-compile them for new Python version.
Steps:
1. Exit Ableton
2. Navigate to MIDI Scripts folder (https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... te-script/)
3. You will probably find `Nocturn` folder there. Remove all *.pyc files from it
4. Downloaded ZIP file from Github contains `Nocturn-RS4L/Live/src` folder which has a lot of *.py source files.
5. Copy all *.py files from `Nocturn-RS4L/Live/src` into your `Nocturn` folder. So basically you replaced *.pyc files with *.py files
6. Start Ableton. You should see `Nocturn` in drop-down in Preferences now

If after this procedure, the script does not behave as before or simply does not do anything then we deal with may deeper issue on Ableton API level. And I can try to help with that, but I need to see what's wrong in Log file.

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello

Thank you very, very much for trying to help with this. I've got as far as replacing '.pyc' files with '.py' as you described and the script(s) are now selectable in Live 9.6 - only I'm not connected to my controller at the moment. I will hook it up tomorrow, test and feedback.

Thanks again, good to have some hope.

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 am

Midiscripts - thank you, everything working, such a simple solution that just needed someone with expertise to point it out. I am extremely grateful.

Just to re-iterate for others:

"4. Downloaded ZIP file from Github contains `Nocturn-RS4L/Live/src` folder which has a lot of *.py source files.
5. Copy all *.py files from `Nocturn-RS4L/Live/src` into your `Nocturn` folder. So basically you replaced *.pyc files with *.py files"

From the 'src' folder in the download, I copied the 8 files that matched the previous '.pyc' files into my Nocturn midi remote script folder, leaving behind '__init__.py2' and 'apihelper.py'. I don't know what would happen if I'd copied these as well, but all working fine without.

In Live, I selected 'Nocturn' in the control surface drop down (or whatever you have named your folder in midi remote scripts) with Automap for in and out. To get the 'instr' parameter knobs working you need to enable the 'Remote' button in the midi in/out section.

**EDIT Enabling the 'remote' button does enable parameter control for the currently selected device, but the script does not switch 'blue hand' when you change device - so this bit is not functioning properly at the moment (see thread below).

Thanks, thanks a million and thanks without end.
Last edited by stevewhite99 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:00 pm

stevewhite99 wrote:Midiscripts - thank you, everything working
Thank you very much for testing. It's amazing that such a simple fix was helpful.

d.coder

Post by d.coder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 am

I also want to say thank you midiscripts!
The script is working again (Live Beta 9.6.2b3.)

olegaroyan

Post by olegaroyan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:43 pm

hi guys!
thanks to Midiscripts , i can see now Nocturn in the Control Surface list and everything works fine now except one thing.. :((
the blue hand doesn't appear when i select racks and other parameters, so i can't use instant mappings and Inst channel on Nocturn to change first 8 parameters.
it used to work with the default script and default Nocturn folder.
does anyone have the same problem? could you please please help anyhow?

Dean Corrie

Post by Dean Corrie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the info midiscripts it is now usable, however I can confirm that the 'blue hand' functionality doesn't work. The script is not following the blue hand and only controlling the one device.

I'm running Live 9.6 on Windows 7.

Cheers,
Dean

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:38 pm

olegaroyan wrote: the blue hand doesn't appear when i select racks and other parameters, so i can't use instant mappings and Inst channel on Nocturn to change first 8 parameters.
This sounds like Live API changes. Ableton made a lot of changes in 8 -> 9 migration.
I can try to debug this and may be come up with a fix, but I don't have the controller itself.

If somebody in San Francisco Bay Area can borrow me Nocturn for a week, I may try to help.
If you do - please contact me via private messages in the forum.

Other way - if there is somebody with Python programming experience and controller may want to make a fix - I can try to help (via Skype call or something)