Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marble

Re: New Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live 8

Post by marble » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:54 pm

delicioso wrote:
marble wrote:I just noticed in FX, Inst and Mixer, the fader has the "Pitch Bend" setting which doesn't seem to do anything, I assume that's deliberate?
For me, the previous version had the crossfader assigned to Pitch Bend that didnt' seem to do anything, but with this new version, the crossfader is assigned to Live's crossfader for all 4 maps. Did you replace the Nocturn folder inside Live as well as open the new automap files? Also, not sure if it matters, I found that I have to have Mixer on Ch1, Inst on Ch2, Fx on Ch3, and User on Ch4 and assign them in that order. The way I do it is to go to each map, Clear All Controls and then Rebuild Control Map. And then open the new automap file and Set as Default Control Map for this client.
Thanks delicioso, clearing the controls before loading the new mappings fixed the problem and the parameter bank issue as well! It also revealed that the assignments are treated as 4 different controls instead of being synced (unless I messed up again), causing Live's crossfader to hang/jump when changing maps inbetween adjusting the crossfader. This can be easily avoided though by limiting crossfader usage to one map (Mixer seems sensible).

@guille
Don't trust in Automap software stability and start from beginning. Sometimes I've lost suddenly a parameter map, sometimes it doesn't refresh a control. However Live side seems to work great. Reset maps and load again. The middle control is named Crossfader an is mapped to Live's crossfader on all pages. I test bank buttons and it works fine for me.
I'm sorry guille, I was just about to scratch that part from my previous post as delicioso helped me solve the problem. Glad it was a mistake on my part!
Well, it's not possible to do anything with python remote scripts. Ableton Live is programmed in C++ that is opaque for another software. You only can access to Python API facade that translates python calls to some C++ functions. It's possible to do more things but I don't want to overload Nocturn scripts beyond practical use. An step sequencer, for example, is a great thing but Launchpad is better to deal with this.
Fair enough :) You're right, the overabundance of buttons on the Launchpad makes it clearly more suitable for such tasks. This topic really deserves a sticky!
Last edited by marble on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marble

Post by marble » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:00 pm

<double-post>

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:37 pm

delicioso wrote:
marble wrote:I found that I have to have Mixer on Ch1, Inst on Ch2, Fx on Ch3, and User on Ch4 and assign them in that order. The way I do it is to go to each map, Clear All Controls and then Rebuild Control Map. And then open the new automap file and Set as Default Control Map for this client.
Man, with that routine, you saved me some headscratch trying to remember how I did it with previous versions...
Nice one.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:28 pm

only just had time to try this, and it's fantastic. Well designed and intuitive...

Thankyou also for including the source files. Great resource to learn from.

iamamonkeysoareyou

Post by iamamonkeysoareyou » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 am

Got the nocturn a few weeks ago. This is BRILLIANT!

Does it work with more than 8 tracks? I havent really tried it out. Still getting used to the nocturn.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:12 pm

seems really really cool.

I guess it really really won't work with live 6 ?

anyway I'm still impressed by your kind of brilliant men that program free stuff to "hack" our great-but-could-be-really-better-controllers, thanks a lot.

(thinking of farmpad, bomes midi translator, jack...)

guille

Post by guille » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:21 am

marble wrote:It also revealed that the assignments are treated as 4 different controls instead of being synced (unless I messed up again), causing Live's crossfader to hang/jump when changing maps inbetween adjusting the crossfader. This can be easily avoided though by limiting crossfader usage to one map (Mixer seems sensible).
To solve this: on Automap Software, click on Settings and disable Enable Pot Pickup.

Buddha

Post by Buddha » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Dudes

Firstly i would like to say you are a awesome Guille!!!!

This script has made this purchase worth while.

I only have one thing i can't figure out and it seems like a bug, but more than likely something i am doing :D

Now i've got it setup all sweet, but once going through the motion and doing a set, when adding effects to my return track... then when trying to send it to either SEND A or SEND B the toggle(on/off) switches for Tacks1-8 is jammed on....

so the first toogle switch, which is Tacks 1-8 is jammed on which is cool i can work around that... but the rest for instance, tracks 9-16 toggle switch and T17-26 and so forth are all stuck to the off toggle now ive look at the velocity for these buttons and there 0 for off and 127 for on its mode is toggle...

all seems sweet i've cleared the controls and remapped them again with your brilliant automap settings but unfortunately still no luck...

i hope what i said makes sense and if anyone could help i would be very happy panda.

Cheers guys thanks again for the awesome script Guille
Bring on the Bass

guille

Post by guille » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:56 pm

I don't understand. Have you a set with more than eight tracks? Return tracks don't count. When you have less than 8 tracks bank buttons are blocked (there are no banks to change).

mishik

Post by mishik » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:36 am

Dose it work on Windows?

Buddha

Post by Buddha » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:46 pm

oh I am douche.... I'm sorry :D

i thought i tried it with more than eight tracks, but i just opened one of the Ableton 10 anniversary free packs which has heaps of tracks and the toggle button is functioning as it should.

thank you for the speedy reply

sorry for the 1d10t mistake

cheers again Guille
Bring on the Bass

guille

Post by guille » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:38 pm

mishik wrote:Dose it work on Windows?
Windows and Mac OS X

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:50 am

Hey guille, great idea!

But is there any reason why this should not work in Live 7?

Can you give any guidelines how to adapt the patch for L7?

pawcut

Post by pawcut » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:21 pm

:oops: i'm new to the nocturn , arrived 2 h ago , im fine with everything until it says in the read me : Open Mixer.automap from Automap folder. Select Mixer as group on top left of Automap window.
- Open Instr......

confused , where is the mixer.automap file, wheres the automap folder ? is it in the novation folder in the programm folder(dont think so ).....
is it in the normal automap menu , if so i dont get the procedure , if i click the mixer , fx ,button it just says "there are no controll mapps assigned to this page " and i cant open anything. just the user mode showing me the 4 midi channels....hmmm
am i missing smth or did smth went wrong , i got everything else adjusted as told by the read me
help appreciated
cheers pawcut
update , got it
concerning the mixer mode

guille

Post by guille » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:42 pm

baseinstinct wrote:Hey guille, great idea!

But is there any reason why this should not work in Live 7?

Can you give any guidelines how to adapt the patch for L7?

Probably it works. Lastest releases of Live 7 maybe has got the same Python API that Live 8 (to support APC-40 and Launchpad).

Can anyone confirm this?