Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
guille

Re: New Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live 8

Post by guille » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:07 pm

pawcut wrote::oops: i'm new to the nocturn , arrived 2 h ago , im fine with everything until it says in the read me : Open Mixer.automap from Automap folder. Select Mixer as group on top left of Automap window.
- Open Instr......

confused , where is the mixer.automap file, wheres the automap folder ? is it in the novation folder in the programm folder(dont think so ).....
is it in the normal automap menu , if so i dont get the procedure , if i click the mixer , fx ,button it just says "there are no controll mapps assigned to this page " and i cant open anything. just the user mode showing me the 4 midi channels....hmmm
am i missing smth or did smth went wrong , i got everything else adjusted as told by the read me
help appreciated
cheers pawcut
update , got it
concerning the mixer mode

When you expand the Zip file probably you get a folder Nocturn RS4Lr2, inside one folder named Live and the infamous Automap folder with automap files. Click on Open... on Automap menu. The templates have loaded in User group with the first free MIDI channel. But you can change the group of each template.

pawcut

Post by pawcut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:46 pm

:D :D :D , your da man , txs , got it now , gonna try as soon as poss.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Bien hecho! Mil gracias Guillermo! I went and bought Nocturn today after reading this thread last night and indeed it was worth it. Nocturn is great add on to Launchpad but would be half value if not for your brilliant job. Novation and Ableton should better hire you,I guess I am not first nor last buying Nocturn because of your script.

pawcut

Post by pawcut » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 am

yeah , good work ,i really can use the mixer , user and instr. template :D one question left ....
i dont use send effects that much, in order to ctrl effects like the kick compressor, do i need to automap every single effect ?? there are millions....how cool would it be if the effect adjustments were divided like in a 1,2,3 sceme in a sensible way and u would have the numbers automapped by default !

guille

Post by guille » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:45 pm

pawcut wrote:yeah , good work ,i really can use the mixer , user and instr. template :D one question left ....
i dont use send effects that much, in order to ctrl effects like the kick compressor, do i need to automap every single effect ?? there are millions....how cool would it be if the effect adjustments were divided like in a 1,2,3 sceme in a sensible way and u would have the numbers automapped by default !
You can control insert effects with Inst group. Click over title bar of the effect, then knobs of Inst group will control paramaters of this device.
Last edited by guille on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Quick question about the nocturn. Can you have bidirectional midi control without using the automap software? Meaning, can you control the lights of the buttons and the knobs.
If so, what happens to the 8 automap specific buttons, do they become regular midi buttons?

Cheers

- Bjorn

guille

Post by guille » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:42 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Quick question about the nocturn. Can you have bidirectional midi control without using the automap software? Meaning, can you control the lights of the buttons and the knobs.
If so, what happens to the 8 automap specific buttons, do they become regular midi buttons?

Cheers

- Bjorn
You need Automap software to have MIDI port with Nocturn :( . It's the only reason to have Automap templates with those scripts. I have asked to Novation for the possibility to include a MIDI driver with Nocturn as Launchpad has. But I haven't got response about it.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 pm

guille wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Quick question about the nocturn. Can you have bidirectional midi control without using the automap software? Meaning, can you control the lights of the buttons and the knobs.

Cheers

- Bjorn
You need Automap software to have MIDI port with Nocturn :( . It's the only reason to have Automap templates with those scripts. I have asked to Novation for the possibility to include a MIDI driver with Nocturn as Launchpad has. But I haven't got response about it.
Wow. That is rather useless. I'm glad I asked.
Thanks. Guess I'll stick with the BCR for now.

- B

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:41 am

hoffman2k wrote:Wow. That is rather useless. I'm glad I asked.
??? I wouldn't call the most portable novation automap controller with a crossfader that can instant map to native ableton live devices "rather useless." I'd pick this over the rather bloated and bulky BCR anyday.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 am

humnumb wrote:
??? I wouldn't call the most portable novation automap controller with a crossfader that can instant map to native ableton live devices "rather useless." I'd pick this over the rather bloated and bulky BCR anyday.
Hey. I want something more portable too.
But if I can't use it as any other dumb terminal controller, it is indeed rather useless.
I hate using the automap software.

madlab

Post by madlab » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:33 am

hoffman2k wrote:
humnumb wrote:
Hey. I want something more portable too.
But if I can't use it as any other dumb terminal controller, it is indeed rather useless.
I hate using the automap software.
So do I. I didn't use the nocturn for the 6 first months I got it because of its lack of real support fur the live native devices.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 am

I don't think it's useless, especially with this remote script guille has made.
Since i first got it i've bought an apc, but i still find a use for it.
Granted, it's useless for live devices when not racked, and in a live situation i wouldn't need it.
But for studio work it's pretty nifty, and i can be launching clips and mixing with my right hand on the apc, while simultaneously adjusting parameters on a 3rd party plugin, or adjusting pitch, or tempo, or setting loop points, etc with the left hand on the nocturn.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 am

djgroovy wrote:I don't think it's useless, especially with this remote script guille has made.
Since i first got it i've bought an apc, but i still find a use for it.
Granted, it's useless for live devices when not racked, and in a live situation i wouldn't need it.
But for studio work it's pretty nifty, and i can be launching clips and mixing with my right hand on the apc, while simultaneously adjusting parameters on a 3rd party plugin, or adjusting pitch, or tempo, or setting loop points, etc with the left hand on the nocturn.
I don't have very high demands for the device.
I just want to map it to 8 knobs and 16 buttons in Live using MIDI Learn without installing automap.

I don't care about the scripts and automap functions. I just wrote my own M4L device that does automap the way I want it. Works fine with the BCR. But the BCR is a behemoth next to the launchpad.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:27 am

I understand that, really.
It's just that one man's useless is some other's useful.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 am

Just to add that you can have up to 16 midi channels of normal midi control, totally user assignable and midi-learnable.
The automap in that case is pretty transparent, it's not doing anything.
In fact it can overcome the lack of session view automation for midi-learn enabled plugins.

And i agree that Novation should allow this part of Nocturn be acessible without installing automap, since automap isn't necessary for it.