Presonus Studio One

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McQ714

Presonus Studio One

Post by McQ714 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:07 pm

so the demo version of Presonus' new Studio One is available... anyone going to give it a try? looks like it could be a contender and being that it was developed in collaboration with Kristal, might not be so bad. it's definitely got some great features... on paper anyway. Mastering Suite, 64-bit engine and Red Book CD burning on the Pro version and it comes with a recipe for jambalaya!?!

dru

Re: Presonus Studio One

Post by dru » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:10 am

I've just been trying this and I gotta say, very impressed! I'm seriously thinking of moving to it completely from Live, it's just so stable, quick and no bloat so far. Will trial it for a bit before making a final choice but it's already got the upper hand for me compared to live.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:00 am

The main people behind it also worked on Cubase SX3 for Steinberg as well as Kristal.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dru

Post by dru » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:26 am

Yup, I used Kristal back in the day when I was playing about with multitrack recording, it was free and quick.

But yeh, Studio One is awesome! So lightweight and fast AND STABLE.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I did test the full version all day today and i have to say that i like it alot! :D

Really amazing piece of software!

Very easy and fast workflow.

The timestretch funktion sounds way better than live!? 8O

And it seems to be rocksolid and stable!

The plugins are nice and they sound damn good to my ears! :mrgreen:

And it is extreme cpu friendly!

I did test it on my old G5 1.8 ghz (waiting for my intel) and had no problems to stream 60 tracks at ones witout any problems.

Maybe the abes should take a look here because it feels and really sounds amazing.

Respect to Presonus for a great sequenzer! even that i am a hardcore live user i liked it alot and i can only say try it...! I will use it in the future..

Kind regards....
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 pm

It looks great but i dont wanna break a winning combination, time i settled down on one daw for home which is live 8 now, got everything i need here, if it crashes they sort any bugs over time...

:wink:
Alex!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:02 pm

I've been a beta tester for a few months now, if anyone has any questions about it ask away.

d-track

Post by d-track » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:48 pm

is it better than logic pro 9?

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:33 pm

It looks great but i dont wanna break a winning combination, time i settled down on one daw for home which is live 8 now
I was thinking the same way! Oh no not another DAW but then i tested it and i found my way around it in no time! You should really give it a try you'll be amazed how fast you get into the program. :D

PS: I like the Mixer alot in Studio One, the blue colours looks great..... 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Dammit, my reply got lost again somehow...

Anyway, in some respects it's better than Logic, in some worse. I think the best way I can describe S1 is to compare it to the best of both Logic Pro and Cubase. You get the dead simple one window operation and CPU efficiency of Logic, with the intuitive audio editing and navigation in Cubase. Logic has more effects and better instruments, but the effects in S1 are fabulous sounding. On paper Logic has more features, but most of the stuff missing from Studio one are things better covered by seperate apps anyway (like score editing). You can tell they took the best features of a lot of different DAWs, learned from the mistakes they made with Nuendo, and combined them all in a very modern new DAW. S1 has been 3 years in the making, and a lot of that has been in developing a very easy, yet powerful workflow.

I'm not sure how much it'll attract the Live crowd, since it's more like a 'traditional' DAW in a lot of ways. No session view, not as flexible routing (can't route instrument tracks to audio tracks [yet]), has a more traditional layout. BUt for those people who swear by things like Cubase, DP, PT, or Logic for writing, I think they'll be really impressed with S1 if they give it a shot. On the other hand, the more Ableton tries to make Live into a traditional DAW, the more I appreciate the way these other apps work instead. You also get a VERY cool and simple way to midi map ANYTHING in S1, so it's customizeable on that front.

I'm not sure I'd stop using Live for it, but I have definitely been reverting more to Live being my performance based tool, and Studio One has been getting more and more use as my DAW for song composition.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:50 pm

I've tried it and was quite impressed but not enough so at this time that I would dump Cubase or Logic.

Give it a bit of time and a couple of versions though and that could change.

The GUI is quite good, but I still prefer what I'm familiar with - Cubase, Logic and Live.

Think long and hard before trading in your DAW. Learn to master what you have and have some patience. People who continually futz about changing every year or two usually end up not being very productive, because it takes time and effort to learn a new DAW.

If after a reasonable period, major issues are not being resolved, or the feature set is no longer in the same ballpark as the competition, then think carefully about changing. If you have a Presonus interface, you might feel compelled to change as it will have the kind of optimization for it that say Apogee have with Logic with their Ensemble and Symphony products. Given that I don't, it's not a priority for me to change, although it worked as well as the other DAWS I have with my Alesis IO14 interface.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm not sure I'd stop using Live for it, but I have definitely been reverting more to Live being my performance based tool, and Studio One has been getting more and more use as my DAW for song composition.
+5 :D

d-track

Post by d-track » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:01 pm

problem is: i can produce with logic completely. built in effects and synths are stunning and good enough for mastering too, and no need external plugins.
but i cannot do as intuitive and improvisative live/dj gigs as with live.
live lacks of those superb quality instruments and effects (for example try to compare logic reverb with live reverb...shame).

if a company could release a sequencer with the features and quality and stability of logic wich is good for live gigs, or better than Live...then i'd forget about live immediately.

maybe s1 going this way but not yet.. still there is an option to produce and master in logic or s1... but... max for live is very challengig for any other daw in the future.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:25 am

Tarekith wrote: You also get a VERY cool and simple way to midi map ANYTHING in S1, so it's customizeable on that front.
Hey I just recently am beta testing it for them (my crazy setup got me in I think) , and I haven't had time to go over two main things that I hope out of Studio One:

1. Can you midi Map with their global setting say Zebra to my controller keyboard? while PadKontrol is mapped to Battery, and the FCB 1010 is mapped to FX?

2. I haven't seen a way to tear off the MIDI piano roll editor? The mixer just fine, but no control for the piano roll?

My only real complaint ATM is that numbers for various things aren't scrollable like in Live and Logic, you have to enter a value.

I like that you can have multiple songs open at once, that's useful for live performance, and is a mystery as to why Live doesn't???? Logic, and Studio One you can, and DP in many ways is designed to create an hour long sequence of songs in a single instance, but Live allows only one set. :?

dru

Post by dru » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:54 am

How to get the mixer VU meters to show the peaks? Including the master channel VU too?