Korg nanoKontrol Myr - A midi remote script for Live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sexface

Re: Korg nanoKontrol Myr - A midi remote script for Live 8

Post by sexface » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Myralfur wrote:Reply to GayScience's message to me on Soundcloud.

The script I originally built was for live 7. Unfortunately it seems the changes I made to get it working in Live 8 stopped it working in Live 7 as well.

I was pretty stupid in that I deleted the old version of the script and now only have the Live 8 script and no copy of Live 7 to test it on :(.

But luckily the changes I made to get it working in Live 8 were pretty minimal and should be reversible even with the extra functions, like device controls, still in.

Basically I ran an error log which I got from ST8's LiveControl and LiveOSC app's, these can be found on the monome forum and website.
All you have to do is download either of the app's, go into the main .py file, so LiveControl.py, and a few lines down there's a line something like

Log = 0

change this to Log = 1 and load this script at the same time as the nanoKontrolMyr script and it should run an error logger which writes to a file called 'stderr'. it should print out a list of problems which you can go through and change, there should only be about 4 small changes to make if it's the reverse of what I did and then it should work.

All I had to do was change a few functions to have an extra 1 on the end.

I'll try changing this myself and putting up and edit, but without live 7 i can't really test it myself.

Good luck.

James
Hey James I have been trying to run this error logger and I can't seem to get er done. I loaded both the NanoKontrolMyr script and the LiveOSC script into the MIDI Scripts folder and nothing seems to be happening, in terms of stderr files. I am sorry if this is super basic, but I am something of a newbie on the scripting end of things. Usually I am just trying to make some beats.
Thanks.

Myralfur

Post by Myralfur » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Fixed a few bugs.

Stop buttons now work a bit better, don't cause any errors when there's no clip to stop, and basically act more as track stop buttons than individual clip stops. So the clip doesn't have to be in the currently selected scene to stop.

Also added the extra two banks available to some of ableton's larger effects. When on Scene 3 you can now hold down the 9th button on the bottom row and press the Bank 1 and 2 buttons to gain access to Banks 3 and 4.

Oh and why I was calling the Scenes Banks I'll never know. It was far to early in the morning when I first finished the documentation. So I've updated it a bit and promise to call the Scenes Banks no more.

My attempts to add control of sends and the ability to select a Take-Over mode other than absolute have so far failed miserably.
I'm pretty busy with some other projects at the moment, so I'm not giving up, just don't have the time right now.
When I do get the time I'd like to add control of sends to Scene 3, or whichever you put to send on Channel 16. The sliders are free, and with track select already set-up on that Scene it should allow you to select a track and then have the sliders mapped to sends 1-8 of that track.

If anyone else wants to have a go at adding this functionality I'd love to see how you do it.

Download here:
http://post.monome.org/?PostBackAction= ... entID=1995

Enjoy for now tho.

Myralfur

Post by Myralfur » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:20 pm

@ SexFace

Sorry man.

Just realised I'm not sure if the Logger will run with Live7 either, and if it does it creates the stderr.txt file in some pretty weird places, had to change the path in the Logger.py file as well.

I'll try reversing the changes I made from what I can remember, but with no Live 7 or error logger it's pretty unlikely to succeed.

The only option really is probably to email Peter Kirn at CDM and see if he's still got the original Live 7 version I sent him before I changed the script for Live 8 and deleted the old version...

...Ok scratch that just found out that Mail saves a version of everything you send in it's own folder somewhere so I've got the old Live 7 version!

Can't remember exactly what functionality is in it, it's not quite as complete as the Live 8 version, although I remember it's got most of the essential stuff in.

Download here:
http://post.monome.org/?PostBackAction= ... entID=1996

sexface

Post by sexface » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Myralfur wrote:@ SexFace

Sorry man.

Just realised I'm not sure if the Logger will run with Live7 either, and if it does it creates the stderr.txt file in some pretty weird places, had to change the path in the Logger.py file as well.

I'll try reversing the changes I made from what I can remember, but with no Live 7 or error logger it's pretty unlikely to succeed.

The only option really is probably to email Peter Kirn at CDM and see if he's still got the original Live 7 version I sent him before I changed the script for Live 8 and deleted the old version...

...Ok scratch that just found out that Mail saves a version of everything you send in it's own folder somewhere so I've got the old Live 7 version!

Can't remember exactly what functionality is in it, it's not quite as complete as the Live 8 version, although I remember it's got most of the essential stuff in.

Download here:
http://post.monome.org/?PostBackAction= ... entID=1996
Thanks a lot man, got it going pretty well. I was mostly interested in the clip firing function. As for the takeover mode stuff, I have been looking around and it seems like it is a pretty big issue. Here is a thread about it in case you haven't seen it yet: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... rol+pickup

Take it easy.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:06 pm

yeah, thanks a lot, i use this script now everyday and totally love it. it really does squeeze the shit out of the tiny nanoKONTROL, since that script it feels like it's being on steroids...

ehhhmmm... did you got my PM?

maybe, maybe, maybe... if you have some time at some point... :D :D :D
*** Image GAFM ***

Myralfur

Post by Myralfur » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:06 pm

just made an edit for SubFunk on the ableton forum.

it switches round the track mute and record arm function so record arm is activated without shift held, and track mute when it is. also changes the stop clip function on the bottom row to solo/cue.

however, doing this made me realise i never really use track on/off, i use record arm more often and that solo/cue is pretty useful, specially for me DJ sets.
so if no ones got any objections I'm gunna be changing the top row of buttons to record arm and then solo/cue when shift is held.

Download here:
http://post.monome.org/?PostBackAction= ... entID=1998

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Myralfur wrote:just made an edit for SubFunk on the ableton forum.

it switches round the track mute and record arm function so record arm is activated without shift held, and track mute when it is. also changes the stop clip function on the bottom row to solo/cue.

however, doing this made me realise i never really use track on/off, i use record arm more often and that solo/cue is pretty useful, specially for me DJ sets.
so if no ones got any objections I'm gunna be changing the top row of buttons to record arm and then solo/cue when shift is held.

Download here:
http://post.monome.org/?PostBackAction= ... entID=1998
THANKS! :D

i think to have the bottom row buttons as stops is sexy and useful, but it would be cool if they would change with a second shift button, the bottom row 9 button into solo / cue, if you DJ you can just make the second shift button into toggle mode... voila!

OOPS :oops: :oops: :oops: , i just realize that it is exactly like that... man i love you... my nanoKONTROL is on hyper steroids now... :D :D :D

THANKS!
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:42 pm

i am not sure if it's a bug or not, but it seems that it does not make any difference if solo is switched to exclusive in Live's preferences or not, it always is not exclusive... it does work with record arm, though...

anyone else who can confirm that?
*** Image GAFM ***

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:15 am

Hej...

im very impressed by the remote script. i try to understand how the liveapi works.

the script for my bcr2000 has now 16automapped encoders for channel volume, what i need is an automapping for channel mute. it will be really great if anyone can give me a tip. now i use only the original methods from the generic scripts but there is no possibility to map trackmute - only track arm.

thanks for help...

cheers&sun
tino

ps: sorry for my baaad english ;)
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 pm

this is awesome! never hoped to get that much out of my little nano kontrol. Would be great to see this kind of thing happening with more controllers. Thanks for your work anyway!

Daduk

Post by Daduk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Just bought Live 8 today and found out this midi remote script thing.

maybe this is a veryy stupid question but do I need to have a pre-mapped live set in order to use this midi remote script?

1. I followed all the "how to" steps and assigned my nanoKONTROL as the kontrolsurface in Live's preferences. Input and output are both nanoKONTROL. Track and remote also both activated on the input and output.

Now I want to know how this hack can be usefull for me. Should I create an autoload or something as my main Live set which correspondends with the Nanokontrols messages? BTW I als wrote the preset DATA and scene set info to my nanoKONTROL using the Kontrol Editor.

Hope someone can help me going with this cause it really looks exciting (if it wordks).

Regards,

daduk

Daduk

Post by Daduk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:45 pm

aaah, got it workin. Sorry for disturbin!

noizum

Post by noizum » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:14 am

hey all,
Myr script is definitely nice, but is there a simple way to map the 18 switches for clip launching and 9 sliders for track volume in all 4 nanoKONTROL's scenes/banks? ie the "old way" with cmd-m? 18 button switches mapping seem to be without probs, but all 9 mapped sliders don't change to actual ones when changing the nanokontrol's scene from 1 to 2 etc, making impossible to volume control next 18 clips/samples. is there any way? I'd be happy just with switches and sliders mapped in all 4 nanokontrols scenes/banks, even 2 would be nice for starters, making a 36 (72) clip launching/mixing matrix... sorry if it's been answered, couldn't find anything about sliders v scenes behavior. any input greatly appreciated.
noizum

LiquidFix

Post by LiquidFix » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Myr,

Thank you so much for this script. You are a gentleman and a kick ass ass kicker.
Live 8 Sweet, APC40, GR-20, livecontrol, PCR-300, Torq Xponent, Parker NiteFly, Logic, other assorted fun Softies plus quasi penchant for Mumbo Sauce and ability to get yuppies furiously heated within minutes.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks Myralfur. Can't wait to try this out. Quick question before I download it: Which one is the latest version of this script? It sounds like you updated it so that record arm is activated without shift held, which is what I would want as well. Is the download that ends with the number 1998 the latest version with these changes? And is this the same as the nanoKONTROLSub.zip?